Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks WAYNE,The following is a demonstration of a mod,
Tapping control arms removed,this is actually easier with the arms attached to hull.
Tapping control arms removed,this is actually easier with the arms attached to hull.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The reason for this mod started with the release of the Asiatam lower hull,I needed to use early model wheels,the set I had were from WSN Tiger and the axles would not connect to the control arm,they were short.

I used a 3.5 x 1.00 tap to thread or tap the arms,then insert the Dubro shoulder bolts 3.5 x 30mm into my wheels then a nylon washer and screwed the axle tight, don't not over tighten just screw down until the wheel has resistance,back off a 1.4 turn no more and lock the grub screw down,again do not over tighten. And caution do not use LOCK TIGHT the may cause the arms to fracture if axle removal become necessary.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Wheel issues and the motivation for this mod,
WSN Wheels with Asiatam axles
WSN Wheels with Asiatam axles
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

http://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/forums/v ... ull#p67023" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link is a very well done post by Harlequin which takes this issue to a more detailed explanation than I can give, it is really a brilliant solution to this issue, Saxondog
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The axle bolts I used on my Tiger will be used on this King Tiger as well,the Tamiya wheels are sloppy loose. The new bearings help but tapping the control arms allows the wheels to be secured tightly against the nylon washers and the control arms. This process will be demonstrated in this post as soon as my Dubro order arrives.

Also note DUBRO catalog is a free download in PDF format at this link. http://www.dubro.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Saxondog
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

due to my work area being the storage I have been working on my 1/6 Tiger outside in the back yard area. Hopefully if it does not rain tomorrow I can reclaim my Sherwood forrest and remove the boxes back into the now repaired store shed.

The original Saxondogs,and a fine actor now gone.
The original Saxondogs,and a fine actor now gone.
Robin Hood.jpg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
Mississippi River and Memphis Tn. the bluff city now flooded and ruining the Memphis in May Music festival.
Mississippi River and Memphis Tn. the bluff city now flooded and ruining the Memphis in May Music festival.
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

My King Tiger has been on hold now for many months due to first the flood,then the tornado season,rebuilding and building a new shop,my Turbo bike,and finally my health.

Hopefully I can restart in the coming weeks as I have collected many after market parts,some mods off the forum and a better understanding of the drive system I would like to install. Also the component deck will be an Asiatam elevated deck like the one in their Tiger and King Tiger Hulls, this is a great deck which is elevated and can easily be secured to the lower hull as the post are pre-tapped.

The Tamiya Zimmerite is a disappointment,alot of fine cutting and applying for a less than stunning finish,after painting the ripple effect is almost completely hidden. To late to revert to millput but perhaps this will allow others to make this discussion with a little better information.
Delboy
Private

Post by Delboy »

Hi sax
what reference books do you use to find the info on the tanks
if you dont mind me asking
cheers Derek
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Sorry for the late reply about the reference books,I have a series of e-books plus many pictures from online searches. My Henschel Does have at least 6 colors,but are all based on the three basic colors, XF-60 Dark Yellow(Dunkelgelb) XF-61 Dark Green (Dunkelgrun) and XF-64 Red Brown (Rotbraun) . But then I looked at the pictures of the crews painting their tanks,generally three guys,three colors and some over spray makes three new colors.

Also my King Tiger is meant to be very late war,being one company of 10 King Tiger used by Grossdeutschland Division, so I took some liberties,some area's are sprayed on while many are the result of a paint brush and a q-tip. Or one guy with a brush and one guy with a MOP.

The colors should blend in well to the country side tree lines,and many of the Western German country side in a winter/early spring has green in the Pines and evergreens and the browns of the oak and birch tree's. But it is different,the color scheme with the instructions does have a similar paint scheme. Also my first time painting using Tamiya colors, Acrylic paint instead of the Enamel Master Modeller paints from Testors I have used in the past.

I have not weathered the tank very much,used DULL COAT instead of the floor polish/Varnish stages and it has grown on me some.I did go back and coated the tank with varnish applied by brush,just a light coat. I have recently continued the build,installing the Axle's,the gearboxes,inner metal fenders,the detail parts are started.This was a 75%completed tank when I purchased it and one other,I THEN PURCHASED some sprue's as the tools were painted and the detailing was different than the way I use enamel,and chalk pastels to color the cables and tool handles, I today added the tools that came with it,plus test fitted the metal tool set Dietrich set me and the metal vent covers. So guy's take a look,it is far from finished and I AM MOST LIKELY going to change the cables to the other set I have from Jason's store.

Bare hull
Bare hull
Tamiya henschel King Tiger 013 002.JPG
Tamiya henschel King Tiger 013 003.JPG
Tamiya henschel King Tiger 013 007.JPG
Grill installation Nice Schumo set,fits very well.
Grill installation Nice Schumo set,fits very well.
Tamiya Henschel King Tiger Tools and Grills 009.JPG
Tamiya Henschel King Tiger Tools and Grills 003.JPG
Tamiya Henschel King Tiger Tools and Grills 001.JPG

Still alot of work to do,I have purchased metal cable in 10ft pieces in 5 sizes,very inexpensive at the local hardware store,cable ends that are correct to scale is another story,I cut my Tiger cable ends off and very carefully drilled them for the metal cables it worked well using heat shrink to add to the clamp section for a nice smooth look. But the King Tigers mount differently but I will figure something out,.just don't like the silver look of these,but they are painted well,with nice detailing of the clamps.

FEEDBACK is most welcome positive or negative tell me what you guys like and don't like it is my first Henschel KT. :thumbdown: :thumbup: :|
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

OMG 8O - Scary blanket ! Run !
to the bouncy room ! Yay !

Return to “Tamiya Builds”