Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

This section is for you to give a commentary / build log of your Tamiya tank. Remember - lots of pictures please!
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Tamiya tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Saxondog
Captain

Re: Henschel King Tiger with Zimmerite film

Post by Saxondog »

I've been considering a painting method that is not very common but is closer to the real way paint was applied. With a brush,that's it guy's.

I have started switching to Tamiya paints from Testors enamel model Master series. So my Tamiya Henschel King Tiger has a base coat of Testors enamel,Mainly because I had this color,and several cans of it.

But the rest will be Tamiya acrylic per the KT Instructions. Will be posting pictures tomorrow. Tonight I will spray the floor polish coat to seal the base coat. Then it's brush time for the three other camo colors.

XF-10 Flat Brown
XF-60 Dark Yellow
XF-61 Dark Green
XF-64 Red Brown
XF-57 interior Buff This is for the inner hull,and inside of the hull and turret,and possibly the hatches inside surface.This has been a point of debate as to weather the hatches were "BUFF" of the base color of the hull.

The main reason I changed to my spare hull was to correct the painting,the hull as purchased was painted one coat of base no primer,the new hull is primed,base color,and soon to be buff inside.

This lighter color improves the look and on a lighter background the electronics,wiring,and components will stand off on the lighter base. The outside of the Hull is primed and base coloured but the next question is did they camo the lower hull behind the wheels?
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

One other thing I have decided is the actual paintwork and unit numbering,I generally build Grossdeutschland Tanks only,but the only picture of a Grossdeutschland King Tiger is the Porsche version. One other thing I tend to do is number my Tanks with the same unit number,meaning either a letter and number like my Tiger S13 or my Jagdpanther which is 313. The number 113 on the picture below should denote 1st company,first platoon,third Tank. The numbering system was very common and used throughout the war and in all geographic locations. http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/tigers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/vehicle.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; These two sites explain the numbering systems.
King Tiger Henschel Version first company,first platoon,Third tank,Unit Unknown
King Tiger Henschel Version first company,first platoon,Third tank,Unit Unknown
50.gif (26.92 KiB) Viewed 4431 times
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

hi sax, i know how you feel , i like to do my tanks a das reich but they never had the tiger II,as to the hatch interior i go with the idea they were red oxide as the off white would of stood out ,
cliff
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Thanks Ice, I have the red oxide primer and believe your right. I will leave the hatches red primer and the interior light buff,I know the inside should not matter but the lighter color does help to see the components. I painted the turret housing last night using the 4 colors and painting with a brush. Let me know what you guy's think? Sax
King Tiger Paintwork II 001.JPG
King Tiger Paintwork II 002.JPG
King Tiger Paintwork II 003.JPG
King Tiger Paintwork II 004.JPG
King Tiger Paintwork II 005.JPG
King Tiger Paintwork II 006.JPG
King Tiger Paintwork II 007.JPG
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Johnf »

Love that camo pattern. Very neat job. I was reading up on some stuff the other day and came across an article on KTs in late period receiving camo paint inthe factory. No zimmerit applies. Seem none of the KTs delivered to abt 101 for Ardennes offensive had zimmerit. I have another few books on order this week. One is on the KT. Will let you know if I come across anything interesting.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

thats right plus the late kts were all finished with a red oxide interior,from the 19th of august 1944 all tiger II s, were painted in standardised ambush prior to this all kts were delivered in a base coat of dark yellow,,all tiger IIs from mid september 1944 did not have zimmerit, from october 9th october 1944 thinner paint was used, by a order dated 31 october 1944 the dark yellow ral 7082 was dropped and they left the factory with a comouflage pattern using dark yellow ral 7028 red brown ral 8017 and olive green ral 6003, if dark yellow wasnt avalible feldgrau could be used as a substitute but only sparingly, in december 1944 all armour componants were to be painted in base coat of dark green, then a camouflage pattern with sharp contours was added using red brown and dark yellow
this was taken from the new vanguard book king tiger heavy tank 1942 to 1945
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

John and Ice,Thank-you both for the help and the information is very valuable to me. I have researched all my Tanks as I built them,but this being the third tank in my life I am lacking the background base information that seems so common to most of you guy's.

I know ships,battleships specifically. Tonnage,size of guns, power plants,armour pate. Many many books on this subject and like the ships I find some books are just pictures without real substance,the details are either to general or just plain wrong. I have the complete series of books on Grossdeutschland and their equipment, but the other units are my weak point.

The picture I posted if from the Schwere-Heers-Panzer-Abteilung 503,but even this is suspect? My paintwork tends to differ yet I feel the brush size and strokes would be similar to the type of field applied camo seen on Tigers and I feel some King Tigers per your description. cheers guy's and thanks.
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

no problem sax, dont forget the info i gave was how they left the factory , what they did in the field is anybodies guess
raven
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by raven »

hi blake your KT is comming along nicely i like the camo you have done

chris
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Made some progress last night,painted the hull and clear coat of floor polish this morning. The gloss of the floor polish and the dull finish of the varnish coat on the turret is demonstrated in these pictures. As the varnish dries the finish changes,it is best to allow the varnish 2-3 days between coats. I t amazing how the varnish continues to dull the finish over this period of time. Saxondog
King Tiger Camo III 001.JPG
King Tiger Camo III 003.JPG
King Tiger Camo III 004.JPG
King Tiger Camo III 007.JPG
King Tiger Camo III 009.JPG
King Tiger Camo III 012.JPG
King Tiger Camo III 013.JPG
King Tiger Camo III 013.JPG

Return to “Tamiya Builds”