King Tiger

30+
Private

King Tiger

Post by 30+ »

Yet another King Tiger build...

I'm not expecting to impress anyone, there are many more builders in this (and many other forums!) that are way more skilled than me, but I hope to get at least some positive reactions and comments. 8)

This is what my Tamiya FO King Tiger looks like after 35 hours of work - 20 hours building it and installing all of the electronics (except for the rc recieving unit and the IR battle system, which both will have to be bought later on...) and 15 hours of painting, of which 7 hours account for the ambush camouflage, done with a traditional brush.

The King Tiger will still require alot of work, but at least I'm off to a good start!

I'm not sure what unit the King Tiger later will belong to, that will be something I'll decide later during the build. I am however planning to keep this no fenders look and also make it a "night fighting King Tiger", just to put my personal touch on it, although there most likely weren't any "night fighting King Tigers" at all.

I'll post more pics later on, as the build makes some progress.

Cheers, Jens
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Re: King Tiger

Post by Matdragon »

Very nice paint, ive always liked the cammo + dot schemes, the dots really help to blend in the cammo well; and youve done a excellent job of it.

very nice work, hope tosee more soon :D

Matt
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

great job on the paint, theres somthing about a kt with a ambush paint job
regards, ice
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Very nice King Tiger,I have a Jagdpanther Night Fighter Project and in researching that build could not find other night fighters other than Panthers and Jagdpanther. I 'm interested in any information you may have researched concerning the Night Fighter Units. Really Like the King Tiger and the camo is excellent.
Pcomm1
Corporal

Post by Pcomm1 »

Realistic looking KT with all those well done ambush dots. Running with fenders off makes it seem really menacing. You will scare all the Shermans to death, for sure, even without the battle unit installed. :thumbup:

John
30+
Private

Post by 30+ »

Thanks everybody, nice to hear that the 7 hours of camo painting, including 1(!) hour just for the dots, gave some result.

@Saxondog: I haven't made any research at all, as to the KT having the IR sight or not, it is just an "artistic" idea if you will. But there is a thought behind the IR sight! I plan on leting the IR lamp of the IR battle system "shoot" through the IR sight, instead of through the gunners periscope, if it doesn't work having the IR lamp "shoot" through the hole for the accual gun sight in the tower. Anyway you look at it, this build is gonna take some time, and money, to finish, and you've got to plan ahead while completing the build.

Expect the next pics to arrive in a month or so, due to lack of time and due to I having to loaning a friend's digital camera, since I don't have one myself.

Again, thanks for the comments!

Cheers, Jens
30+
Private

Post by 30+ »

After an additional 10 hours, including 5 hours today, I finally got most of the remaining parts painted. However, due to lack of paints and glue, and an aching lower back after siting down for 5 hours, I've decided to call it a day and continue later next week when I have time.

I've looked at pics of the King Tiger in Munster, Germany, for advise on how to paint the different parts and am over all happy with the result.

http://www.worldwar2aces.com/panzer-tank/kingtiger

I also got the IR sight, together with two pairs of c hook brackets, from rctank.de this week and glued it together.

That's all for this time around. I'll return later with additional pics, hopefully with all of the parts fully painted and glued onto the King Tiger.

Cheers, Jens
30+
Private

Post by 30+ »

The final work that I got done tonight. The C hook brackets are in place and the oxide red exhaust pipe cover is going get a dirtier look. Maybe I'll also make a handle for the block on the top right of the tank, haven't decided yet.

The thought is to later have the C hooks hanging in the tow shackles, which I'm gonna buy later on.

Cheers, Jens
Panzerman
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzerman »

Well done nice KT,

Can't resist this, you must have gone dotty doing all those spots!
Like the line of no camo where the fenders would go, I did my KT
fender-less and after much thought I left this are with no camo also.

As Pcomm1 pointed out they look mean without fenders and guards!
30+
Private

Post by 30+ »

@Panzerman: Thanks! And no, I didn't go crazy doing all those dots. It was a pure pleasure! ;)

After an additional 7 hours I've glued on every tool etc. except for the spare tracks. Everything glued on the King Tiger has been painted except for the fire extinguisher - honestly don't know quite how to paint it.

I've also made my own tow shackles by drilling holes through the existing ones that came with the FO kit and then using screws and bolts to attach them to the King Tiger - simple but effective.

For now, I don't have any Dunkelgelb or Rotbraun, have to buy new paint jars. However, I'm happy to have gottan this far with the build.

Cheers, Jens
Last edited by 30+ on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “King Tiger”