Tiger II Decals: Peddinghaus #334 for Knispel

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

Tiger II Decals: Peddinghaus #334 for Knispel

Post by Mithras »

Okay, gang:

Here we go. I've got my Koenigstiger in. And I've run into a bit of a snag. I had hoped to do a very basic conversion (far less detailed than the one I'm doing with my Sherman), and picked up the Peddinghaus decals for Kurt Knispel's No.334... or at least what they allege are the markings. I understand where the turret numerals and the balkankreuze go (as do most wargamers.) However, I'm a little baffled as to where the other markings go, or if indeed they are even remotely accurate? For instance, I'm seeing profile drawings of a tiger's head. I've never seen those on any actual Tiger. Have I simply missed them, or do they go somewhere that one wouldn't normally see them in smaller scales?

Not a big deal, just hoping for some pointers.

-M.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Re: Tiger II Decals: Peddinghaus #334 for Knispel

Post by Panzermechaniker »

I have done 2 KT's one with zimmerit and one without both with Peddinghaus decals. They both came out fine more because I had mastered the balance of using Micro-Set and Micro-Sol and gloss but it's dicey and I would recommend you to look at stencils first before you go ahead. Especially if it is just balkenkreuz and tactical numerals and symbols. As far as the 503 tiger head on KT most places I have seen it placed is at the lower front sides of the turret. It looks cool

I understand a forum member here will produce excellent stencils for you. If I redo my Jagdpanther I will be ordering custom ones from him

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:33 am I have done 2 KT's one with zimmerit and one without both with Peddinghaus decals. They both came out fine more because I had mastered the balance of using Micro-Set and Micro-Sol and gloss but it's dicey and I would recommend you to look at stencils first before you go ahead. Especially if it is just balkenkreuz and tactical numerals and symbols. As far as the 503 tiger head on KT most places I have seen it placed is at the lower front sides of the turret. It looks cool

I understand a forum member here will produce excellent stencils for you. If I redo my Jagdpanther I will be ordering custom ones from him

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Thank you for the advice!

I've got some excellent 761st Tank Btn stencils from Rad. Lovely stuff. I'm very familiar with using microset and microsol, so I may be able to manage it.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

Oh i wasn't doubting your ability to lay decals or experience with the Micro products just that Peddinghaus are so thick, have to be to be cut to shape and you have one shot to get them right. The best decals period for laying on zimmerit are Elite Armor. Unfortunately they don't do a KT but they sit perfectly and after a few applications over the hours with Micro Sol they look painted on as good as you could get even with stencils. I'll eventually post up my Tiger late images and I can't believe how good even two long separately applied Elite Armor 11 numbers look on zimmerit even in bright sunlight

Return to “General Questions”