My newest Heng Long Tiger I things to share

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

My newest Heng Long Tiger I things to share

Post by MrChef »

So as may be known I've got Tigers on my brain :haha:

This one was on sale from Toucan RC for $209. A Tiger I with Steel gearbox, metal sprockets, idlers, road wheels and tracks, recoil barrel and 360 degree turret. It was listed on their site as U.S. stock, shipped from New Jersey and delivered by FedEx 2 days after the order was placed. Not the Professional model but another Promotional model that was produced in July 2023. I'm assuming they do upgrades to models not moving and attempt to sell them as a "Promotional" models similar to my previous Tiger I.

Ok so here's some observations.

First, the 360 degree turret mod was clearly done in house. You can see by these pics that it was fast and sloppy. They must've let the glue monkey take a vacation to Cranberry New Jersey because the actual slip ring wasss slathered in whatever hot sticky mess he uses. I noticed the turret ring gear was hand cut but not horrible, and I already had one in case this one was junk. After opening the box up and doing the regular test functions I noticed that everything worked as expected EXCEPT that the cannon did not have it's regular range of elevation and depression. I assumed that there was something jammed up inside and sure enough I was right. The plug block for the 360 slip ring was either jammed in under the cannon between it and the turret roof or migrated there somehow. I'm assuming it was just put in that way and not checked. Anyway easy enough fix.

Thats some too close sharp and pointy stuff.

That plug block was wedged under the cannon.

I also noticed the sloppy cutting on the turret bottom and ring gear which allows the wires to move freely. Again easy enough fix.

Time to trim.

I also noticed that these particular motors have some more pep than several of my other Heng Longs. They don't look any different than the other stock motors. And I have adjusted them to 70% which still has some extra go.

Another interesting observation. When removing the running gear and the sprockets I noticed a sleeve/cup that fits over the driveshaft which my other/first Heng Long Tiger I did not have. I checked the driveshaft bearings that I have/use and sure enough they slip on the driveshaft and sleeve/caps slip right over them and secure the bearings. I wonder if this is new? Or if others have this and or if it's a part that can be sourced because I haven't seen it on my other HL Tiger or any of my other Heng Long tanks.

I also noticed but didn't take pictures that the sprockets had washers which my first Heng Long Tiger didn't have. Other Heng Long tanks I have came with lock washers on the sprocket, Panther, Jagdpanther come to mind first.

Well that's it for the observations so far.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Ecam

Re: My newest Heng Long Tiger I things to share

Post by Ecam »

I didn't see a clear picture, was it a 360 ring or did they do the cut and sand mod to the block on the driven teeth like many of us here have done?

And I won't say anything about the Tiger addiction - can't talk with my Sherman fleet always getting larger (have two more in the "cart").
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Ecam wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:21 am I didn't see a clear picture, was it a 360 ring or did they do the cut and sand mod to the block on the driven teeth like many of us here have done?

Left is a Taigen ring I picked up awhile back and hadn't used.

I'm not assuming anything but I think if one of us did this that it'd be a wee bit more precise. Sand? we don't need no stinking sanding :P :P :P
Ecam wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:21 am And I won't say anything about the Tiger addiction - can't talk with my Sherman fleet always getting larger (have two more in the "cart").
Ahh the guilt of addiction has subsided,,, for now... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: @) :think: :haha: :haha: :D
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Looks like they may have used a chain saw on that gear! But it sure could be an in house mod to make 360 rings as fast as possible.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Looks like a couple of flush cut plier V's and some crazy glue to stop those micro cracks from migrating further. Gluemonkey acquiring mad skillz each and every day.

Mike.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I would think the easier and, frankly, less expensive approach would have been to replace the turret ring with the correct one for the "round-and-round it goes" slip ring, which must be the most expensive part, anyway.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

ColemanCollector wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:38 pm Looks like a couple of flush cut plier V's and some crazy glue to stop those micro cracks from migrating further. Gluemonkey acquiring mad skillz each and every day.

Mike.
Bwahahahaha :haha: :haha: :haha: Ahhh New Jersey, it literally stinks, and that's before your car gets stolen.
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:56 pm I would think the easier and, frankly, less expensive approach would have been to replace the turret ring with the correct one for the "round-and-round it goes" slip ring, which must be the most expensive part, anyway.
I've given up trying to make sense of it all. But I'm happy that I can troubleshoot and fix it. I was lucky to also have a spare 360 ring if this one doesn't work out. I had gotten the ring from Taigen awhile back when it was $7.99 as opposed to $9.99 currently. The whole kit, ring and slip ring wiring harness is now listed at $22. So I'm still not complaining.

Return to “General Discussion”