Best current MBT and a question for the Brits

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Aurelius
Private

Best current MBT and a question for the Brits

Post by Aurelius »

Curious as to what the veteran tankers think is currently the best main battle tank (MBT)? If we pitted experienced crews and each country's latest MBT iteration (we're not counting prototypes like the KF51 and such) against all the other top tanks, who would come out on top do you suppose? (Say we could do dozens of live combat rounds with ten tanks versus ten opposing tanks on open terrain and then instantly snap our fingers and bring both the crews and tanks back to full health for the next round.)

Leopard 2A4 ........or ........Challenger II ..........or ........ M1A2 Abrams SEPV3 .........or ........ Merkava 4 ..........or ............ T14 Armata, ........or ......... JGSDF Type 10, ........ or ........ Chinese Type 99, ......... or ........ K2 Black Panther, ......... or ..... Leclerc

(No prototypes allowed that are not yet fielded and no use of drones lifting off from turrets.)

Who would come out on top? Even though I am American, ... my guess is the Leopard.

For the Brits here: Can a Royal Marine officer become a pilot in 2024? I know the RMs do not field their own aircraft but can they cross train with another service (Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm, Royal Air Force) and become a pilot while still remaining in the Royal Marines? Or, do they have to change services if they wish to undertake pilot training? (Or, are they forbidden from undertaking pilot training?)
One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Universe is learn the language that Mother Nature truly speaks in, ... mathematics.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Best current MBT and a question for the Brits

Post by tomhugill »

Aurelius wrote:Curious as to what the veteran tankers think is currently the best main battle tank (MBT)? If we pitted experienced crews and each country's latest MBT iteration (we're not counting prototypes like the KF51 and such) against all the other top tanks, who would come out on top do you suppose? (Say we could do dozens of live combat rounds with ten tanks versus ten opposing tanks on open terrain and then instantly snap our fingers and bring both the crews and tanks back to full health for the next round.)

Leopard 2A4 ........or ........Challenger II ..........or ........ M1A2 Abrams SEPV3 .........or ........ Merkava 4 ..........or ............ T14 Armata, ........or ......... JGSDF Type 10, ........ or ........ Chinese Type 99, ......... or ........ K2 Black Panther, ......... or ..... Leclerc

(No prototypes allowed that are not yet fielded and no use of drones lifting off from turrets.)

Who would come out on top? Even though I am American, ... my guess is the Leopard.

For the Brits here: Can a Royal Marine officer become a pilot in 2024? I know the RMs do not field their own aircraft but can they cross train with another service (Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm, Royal Air Force) and become a pilot while still remaining in the Royal Marines? Or, do they have to change services if they wish to undertake pilot training? (Or, are they forbidden from undertaking pilot training?)
The one who shoots first usually

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Funny enough I was speaking to a serving soldier and former tanker in the pub last night, and he said beyond a shadow of a doubt that the British Challenger 2 is best in the world. All critical system are in protected cells in the main body, and it currently holds the distance record for taking out another tank with its main gun, with a claimed effective range over 6000m against another tank.
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

And re the question of whether a RM can become a pilot, technically yes. Inter-service transfers are absolutely allowed but there is also the Commando Helicopter Force that trains Marines to fly rotary wing aircraft
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/organisati ... adquarters
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When I was in the service Marines not only flew but had their own squadrons, Primarily Helicopters,
Insofar as Marines are an integral part of the Royal Navy they are free to be trained in any area of the Royal Navy's activities and that includes cross service training.
No matter which arm of the British armed services you are in you are free to apply to train in any area of the British services always bearing in mind that you will almost certainly have to pass a qualifying test.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

!!!
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:37 pm!!!
???
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Everyone one knows Marines aren't supposed to fly :haha: ...the root of the name "Marine" means "of the sea"... :) That's why US transport ships that carry Marines are called "Gator Freighters". They pull up to the beach and all the guys dressed in green (that look like alligators) pile out onto the shore. I'm just poking fun. I love my fellow veterans...even the Marines. :O
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

cmryanuk wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:02 pm Challenger 2 it currently holds the distance record for taking out another tank with its main gun, with a claimed effective range over 6000m against another tank.
I'm afraid the bloke who told you that has misinformed you, he's like Mark from Mark-1-Tanks, talks a load of number 2's.
It was/is a Challenger 1 (ONE) tank that holds the longest tank on tank kill, around 3.1 miles (5000m) in 1991, with a rifled barrel. I believe the two has a smooth bore.

Although, I've heard a recent rumour that a Ukrainian has taken out something or other at double this distance more recently.
Is it likely BS, or a VERY lucky shot, or....
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

"A new video apparently shows a Ukrainian T-64BV knocking out a Russian tank from 10,600 meters away, or 6.5 miles, which make it the longest-range tank kill ever, doubling the previous record. Many commenters doubted the claim, triggering a discussion by open-source intelligence analyst Ukraine Weapons Tracker. However, the claim looks plausible. It seems the anonymous gunner achieved this impressive feat with the help of a small drone and a Ukrainian secret weapon: an Android tablet loaded with locally produced software."
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

As long as you achieve it on the other guy before he achieves it on you !!
The only record worth having on the Battlefield is the longest time spend in theatre without dying.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Discussion”