Japan WW2 type 97 1/35 conversion to RRC using SERVO gearbox

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Japan WW2 type 97 1/35 conversion to RRC using SERVO gearbox

Post by modler »

This will be the first WW2 Japanese tank in my collection.

Just got one of these new, sealed in the box from 1975! I will be doing something different on this one using servos for the gear box and then using the servo circuit boards as ESC's.

Some servos can be modified by adding a few resistors to be repurposed into speed controls.
Attachments
Going to be a challenge to animate this one.
Going to be a challenge to animate this one.
IMG_0819.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 277 times
model build shop in operation.
model build shop in operation.
IMG_0821.jpg (902.66 KiB) Viewed 277 times
One servo gearbox in position.
One servo gearbox in position.
IMG_0822.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 277 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Japan WW2 type 97 1/35 conversion to RRC

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I often wondered how much servos will stand up to continuous running? Oh, and I like your modeling table right by the Pella windows that can be opened for fresh air on nice summer days.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:11 am I often wondered how much servos will stand up to continuous running? Oh, and I like your modeling table right by the Pella windows that can be opened for fresh air on nice summer days.
I have several micro Tanks with coreless motors and they seem to hold up good. Of course they are lightweight Tanks with 1s lipo.

Depends on what you mean by continuous running. I run these smaller Tanks until the battery is done, anywhere between 10-20 minutes. Oh, there is little else that will fit in this tank. Even the MTM gearboxes are too big for this one :O

Yes on nice days I certainly open the windows for fresh air, I live in a rural area where the air quality is good.

Making good progress on the Type 97 Tank.

here is a short video of the gearboxes running
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwMF8jKSIDE
Attachments
Here is an example of coreless motors with gearbox in a Tank. The motors are the same as in most coreless servos and no they do not last as long as brushed motors and generally are run at a higher RPM than standard brushed motors. If kept at higher RPM's, they seem to last a good while plus they are much smaller and use less power
Here is an example of coreless motors with gearbox in a Tank. The motors are the same as in most coreless servos and no they do not last as long as brushed motors and generally are run at a higher RPM than standard brushed motors. If kept at higher RPM's, they seem to last a good while plus they are much smaller and use less power
IMG_0830.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 250 times
10 hours to get to this point and nothing is really done until the tracks are spinning and don't fly off lol. You can see the date inside the hull 1975!
10 hours to get to this point and nothing is really done until the tracks are spinning and don't fly off lol. You can see the date inside the hull 1975!
IMG_0825.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 253 times
these servos I am using are Blue bird 303's and are pretty small and they just fit in this Tank..
these servos I am using are Blue bird 303's and are pretty small and they just fit in this Tank..
IMG_0827.jpg (890.04 KiB) Viewed 253 times
ready for tracks and testing drive.
ready for tracks and testing drive.
IMG_0829.jpg (836.13 KiB) Viewed 253 times
Last edited by modler on Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Interesting work Mr Modler
Do you think the servo concept would work to animate a 16th scale static model such as a Takon Panzerjager 1/B Mit StuK 40/L48?
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

What a fantastic subject to animate. This will be a righteous thread!

Mike.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Time to install the tracks and do a test run :D

Ok, this T-97 has super gradient ability. The tracks system works perfect. No danger of this thing throwing s track 8)

Here is a short video of the Tank doing a test track run

https://youtu.be/St8xM1NH6Z0
Attachments
You know this is a good Tank if you see me install this radio gear in it.
You know this is a good Tank if you see me install this radio gear in it.
IMG_0833.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 234 times
T-97 Vs M5 Stuart. The T-79 wins in every aspect especially suspension.
T-97 Vs M5 Stuart. The T-79 wins in every aspect especially suspension.
IMG_0838.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 234 times
the middle four road wheels have some suspension travel if mounted properly so this tank does have workable suspension.
the middle four road wheels have some suspension travel if mounted properly so this tank does have workable suspension.
IMG_0834.jpg (2.37 MiB) Viewed 234 times
The area under these panels is very tight and I had to grind material off the gearboxes to allow proper alignment of the upper hull to lower hull panel.
The area under these panels is very tight and I had to grind material off the gearboxes to allow proper alignment of the upper hull to lower hull panel.
IMG_0835.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 234 times
this is better. The upper hull comes off so complicates the lower hul panel. Took some time and patience to get it right as you see it here.
this is better. The upper hull comes off so complicates the lower hul panel. Took some time and patience to get it right as you see it here.
IMG_0841.jpg (2.35 MiB) Viewed 234 times
This rear panel is very difficult to get lined up. Took some time to get it right as the top hull is removable as in all hobby grade radio control Tanks.
This rear panel is very difficult to get lined up. Took some time to get it right as the top hull is removable as in all hobby grade radio control Tanks.
IMG_0836.jpg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 234 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:57 pm Interesting work Mr Modler
Do you think the servo concept would work to animate a 16th scale static model such as a Takon Panzerjager 1/B Mit StuK 40/L48?
Yes with the proper servo it would work. the servos I used for this T-97 are the one of the smallest available but are quite adequate for this 1/35 model. As small as they are (BB303 servos), I still had to do some light grinding in a few critical areas. I don't think you will see another 1/35 T-79 animated as the time required is astronomical.

I ran this test for 25 minutes with no issues. The 150mAh lipo can do >30 minutes

Here is a short video of the T-97 doing a run on my test track right off the assembly line.

https://youtu.be/St8xM1NH6Z0
Attachments
Two of my recent builds
Two of my recent builds
IMG_0838.jpg (2.34 MiB) Viewed 229 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

ColemanCollector wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:12 am What a fantastic subject to animate. This will be a righteous thread!

Mike.
Oh well yes Mike, this is a very interesting and challenging model to animate. I recently starting looking at obscure and or lesser know Tanks of WW2 especially Japan models and some others that I would have not chance with until recently when I got the idea to use "servos" as the gearbox. They are the smallest gearboxes around after all 8)

I use "control mouse pad click" (apple) to open image in a separate window to get a zoomed view.
Attachments
The next one will go faster as this is the first one using servos
The next one will go faster as this is the first one using servos
IMG_0833.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 226 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Yes, do take on the less commonly known tanks, as 1/35 provides so many great choices. As you likely know, the only Japanese tank in 1/16 is the Takom kit of the Type 94 (https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/to ... -tankette/). There are three versions, Japanese early and late war and a "Chinese" one. I have all three, but have only built (static) the Chinese one in pristine condition precisely because the figure included with the model looks as if he's a young fellow waving in a parade.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:41 pm Yes, do take on the less commonly known tanks, as 1/35 provides so many great choices. As you likely know, the only Japanese tank in 1/16 is the Takom kit of the Type 94 (https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/to ... -tankette/). There are three versions, Japanese early and late war and a "Chinese" one. I have all three, but have only built (static) the Chinese one in pristine condition precisely because the figure included with the model looks as if he's a young fellow waving in a parade.
Guten Morgen Herr Doctor, The 1/16 T94 Tank's in the link are awesome 8) . I would like to animate one of those.

Here is a short video of the T97 running under its own power with a on\off switch.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6UK6cOvt ... ture=share

Here is another video of the T97 doing a ramp test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8xM1NH6Z0
Attachments
Assembled and RRC
Assembled and RRC
IMG_0854.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 184 times
Assembled and RRC
Assembled and RRC
IMG_0858.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 184 times
Assembled and RRC
Assembled and RRC
IMG_0857.jpg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 184 times
Type 97 vs Crusader Mk III
IMG_0863.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 184 times
IMG_0865.jpg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 184 times
The Type 97 is close to final assembly and is fully functional RRC.
The Type 97 is close to final assembly and is fully functional RRC.
IMG_0852.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 192 times
These were popular about 12 years ago. The sad thing is they have a design flaw that renders them useless as a servo after a very short life compared to other servos but I kept them for parts (12) thinking I could repurpose them or use them for parts. Well that time is now.
These were popular about 12 years ago. The sad thing is they have a design flaw that renders them useless as a servo after a very short life compared to other servos but I kept them for parts (12) thinking I could repurpose them or use them for parts. Well that time is now.
IMG_0850.jpg (861.25 KiB) Viewed 192 times
The T97 has drive sprockets that are offset to the ouside more than most so a long screw is required.
The T97 has drive sprockets that are offset to the ouside more than most so a long screw is required.
IMG_0849.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 192 times
This servo case screw is used to interface the drive sprocket to the servo gearbox.
This servo case screw is used to interface the drive sprocket to the servo gearbox.
IMG_0848.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 192 times
Salvaged 5 servos from the scrap pile. The electronics have been converted to ESC's and the gearboxes will be used to animate more projects.
Salvaged 5 servos from the scrap pile. The electronics have been converted to ESC's and the gearboxes will be used to animate more projects.
IMG_0847.jpg (857.83 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Some of the hardware I use in the 1/35 models. I used 6 micro screws in the T97.
Some of the hardware I use in the 1/35 models. I used 6 micro screws in the T97.
IMG_0845 (1).jpg (813.08 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”