General Notes on IR Combat Compatibility

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Mithras
Corporal

General Notes on IR Combat Compatibility

Post by Mithras »

Hello, everyone. I put this brief set of notes together and thought they might be helpful to other newcomers to the hobby. So far as I understand it, this information is correct. However, I kindly request that anyone with better knowledge set me right. Feel free to add your own notes, and I'll incorporate them. Perhaps this will help individuals in making selections.

This list discusses the various producers, at least the ones generally spoken of here, with regards to the compatibility of their IR combat systems and useful notes where applicable. I've left off the aftermarket boards, but I'm happy to add that information if others are willing to contribute. I simply lack the requisite knowledge to give a summation.

Notes: This post has been updated, and I'll continue to do so as new information comes in.

Tamiya
Pricepoint: High to Very High
The "grandfather" of the hobby as it now stands. Tamiya's basic system is compatible with most. However, Tamiya features additional chrome not available in those others. These include the ability to set a vehicle's capability as regards weight class, as well as a feature whereby a vehicle's capability degrades as it receives hits. Note that the modern Tamiya Boards are programmed for combat, but that none of the model kits (not even the 'Full Option') kits come with the (plug and play) parts needed, which must be purchased separately. Aftermarket support is generally available, but parts for some vehicles are harder to source than others.

Note:

It's been stressed that I should clarify what I mean by "compatible" with IR here, which is a fair point. What I mean to say is that, when compatible with Tamiya, a vehicle can give and receive hits -from- a Tamiya. That does not, again, mean that the same "game" may be played with them. You can certainly have a battle, but essentially a Tamiya tank will take more realistic damage and fire with a more realistic profile than a competitor without a specific, -directly compatible- IR board.

Haya
Pricepoint: Moderate to High
A newer company. Haya tanks are available in both kit and RTR form. So far as I know, Haya vehicles are IR only. Compatibility varies from vehicle to vehicle. Per other comments here, the Chieftain carries a Heng Long Board, whilst the Centurion carries a Clark, and so on. It's worth investigating each vehicle on its own merrits.

Heng Long
Pricepoint: Low to High
A good starting point. Aim for 7.0 or 7.1 boards. Probably the easiest learning curve currently available. Compatible with Haya, Tamiya, Tongde, Torro. Worth noting that some feel Heng Long's IR system has a limited range compared to others. That may or may not be an issue for you. If you are looking to acquire a tank that does both IR and BB, then Heng Long is the easiest way to get there.

Hooben
Pricepoint: Very High
IR System not highly regarded. Not compatible with other brands, and may well not be compatible with other examples within the same line. Most owners interested in IR Combat swap to other boards or simply buy the kits sans electronics and mechanical components and select their own. At any rate, not a good choice for beginners. Note that "Twin Horse" RC is also Hooben.

Taigen
The RC brand for IMEX. Taigen tanks come equipped for Airsoft/BB -or- IR. Not both. Taigen IR is not compatible with other brands.

Tongde
Pricepoint: High
IR only, when applicable. Compatible with Baya, Heng Long, Tamiya, Torro.

Torro
An independent company (thanks, Kaczor) that reconditions and sells Heng Long tanks with its own upgrades. Note that Torro tanks are available as Airsoft/BB, or IR. Those labelled as both by Torro are in fact simply Heng Longs. Be sure you know what you are ordering, because online sellers are not always clear. Although compatible only with each other, a plug in from Zanda Toys (https://www.zandatoys.com/1-16-torro-in ... ng-tamiya/) makes Torro tanks compatible with Heng Long and Tamiya, at least in terms of giving and receiving hits
Last edited by Mithras on Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: General Notes on IR Combat Compatibility

Post by tankme »

So, here's how I see it...

As far as IR goes, we say it's Tamiya IR Protocol compatible. Just because it's Tamiya IR Protocol compatible, it doesn't mean it the same damage and firing profile.

Only Clark, IBU, ASP, TCB, or Elmod are fully compatible with weight classes and firing profiles with Tamiya. I don't know about SGS or Beier boards as I don't know anyone using them to battle. As far as I know Beier says it is compatible, but when I did my research it made it sound to me like it's not compatible.

Torro and Taigen use the same hardware and as far as I know they are only BB OR IR...not both; although, the tanks can be converted to one or the other after purchase with purchase of additional hardware. All of the tanks Torro lists on their site as BB AND IR are HL tanks which they are reselling as HL tanks - they are not Torros. Taigen/Torro can be made compatible with Tamiya protocol with this: https://www.zandatoys.com/1-16-torro-in ... ng-tamiya/ , but that is only the ability to take and give hits. It is not full Tamiya compatibility and HL is not full compatibility.

Mato and Hooben have been known to use Clark boards in selected vehicles. If they have a Clark board in them, they are fully Tamiya compatible.

Clear as mud? :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Torro is not a separate producer. It's more a distributor. They sell Heng Long tanks as " "Heng Long-Torro edition" and Taigen tanks as "IR Torro Pro", etc.

PS. I would love to see a poll of how many people use IR at all. It seems that IR fights are popular in the USA and Asia, but are rare in Europe.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Haya are a mixed bag, the Chieftain uses what looks to be some flavour of Heng Long control board, while the Centurion uses a Clark board.
Both have BB + IR.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Kaczor wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:08 am Torro is not a separate producer. It's more a distributor. They sell Heng Long tanks as " "Heng Long-Torro edition" and Taigen tanks as "IR Torro Pro", etc.

PS. I would love to see a poll of how many people use IR at all. It seems that IR fights are popular in the USA and Asia, but are rare in Europe.

IR would appear to be very common in the UK.
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Tiger6 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:24 am Haya are a mixed bag, the Chieftain uses what looks to be some flavour of Heng Long control board, while the Centurion uses a Clark board.
Both have BB + IR.
Good to know! Thank you!
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

tankme wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:37 am So, here's how I see it...

As far as IR goes, we say it's Tamiya IR Protocol compatible. Just because it's Tamiya IR Protocol compatible, it doesn't mean it the same damage and firing profile.

Only Clark, IBU, ASP, TCB, or Elmod are fully compatible with weight classes and firing profiles with Tamiya. I don't know about SGS or Beier boards as I don't know anyone using them to battle. As far as I know Beier says it is compatible, but when I did my research it made it sound to me like it's not compatible.

Torro and Taigen use the same hardware and as far as I know they are only BB OR IR...not both; although, the tanks can be converted to one or the other after purchase with purchase of additional hardware. All of the tanks Torro lists on their site as BB AND IR are HL tanks which they are reselling as HL tanks - they are not Torros. Taigen/Torro can be made compatible with Tamiya protocol with this: https://www.zandatoys.com/1-16-torro-in ... ng-tamiya/ , but that is only the ability to take and give hits. It is not full Tamiya compatibility and HL is not full compatibility.

Mato and Hooben have been known to use Clark boards in selected vehicles. If they have a Clark board in them, they are fully Tamiya compatible.

Clear as mud? :)
Clear as always! Standards, who needs that?!;)

. As I said, I’m generally thinking of “this is a vehicle that can take and receive hits from other vehicles with this card” rather than perfect compatibility. It’s odd that Torro isn’t completely compatible with Heng Long. Good to know there is a potential work around as a mid point to card swaps.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Mithras wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:44 pm IR would appear to be very common in the UK.
Don't confuse the common preference for and the use of barrel recoil and flash amongst modellers to be an indication of a high usage of IR.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Son of a gun-ner wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:18 pm
Mithras wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:44 pm IR would appear to be very common in the UK.
Don't confuse the common preference for and the use of barrel recoil and flash amongst modellers to be an indication of a high usage of IR.
Alright, then, please enlighten me. I was told that BB combat was uncommon in the UK. In part because of local laws. Should I be looking at BB based tanks instead? When I asked about who's actually doing the combat part of the hobby, I didn't get many responses from airsoft/bb tankers.
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I don’t know if any group that BB battles. You’ll shoot your eye out kid.

IR battles are few and far between. If you read into what people do and want, it’s mainly to drive around a scale village.

We did timed circuits around our scale villages and that was more fun that battling.

Return to “General Discussion”