Panzer IV with Schürzen

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Panzer IV with Schürzen

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I'm going to ask a silly question.
Why did the gearboxes have to get jacked up level?
Couldn't you have dropped the rear and lifted the front (sprocket drive shaft end)?
Saving a lot of modification effort?

The gearboxes are like Herman's sloping rear deck behind Schürzen, who's going to see it ;)
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

You know that is a valid question I asked myself a couple days ago. Dunno, I did the motor lift according to instructions on here years ago. If I were to do it today I would definitely try the front tilt, it would fix/help with fitting.

As to why fix things that might be unseen, I really never know where the end result will be. Damaged/missing schürzen or repair diorama...
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Hindsight is always a wonderful thing ;)

You're doing a grand job, and I'm soaking up all the corrections needed :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Ohh I'm hooked as well. Keep going Eric :thumbup:

Can't wait to see the Schürzen come to fruition.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I have been following this build with interest and all along I have been puzzled by the term Schurzen which I have always believed to be the name given to the additional armour fitted around the Turret of the late PZ4 Ausf G and the additional armour around the turret and body of the PZ4 Ausf H/J,
The Anti Magnetic mine paste fitted to most German Armour upto 1944 was called Zimmerit.
I await correction. :lolno:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

To the best of my knowledge, you are exactly right, jarndice:

Schürzen are indeed, the supplemental armor found around the turret and alongside a Pzkw. III, IV (and others?). Although they were easily penetrated, their purpose was to set off charges before they hit the tank itself.

Zimmerit is a pasty substance that prevented magnetic anti-tank mines from sticking to the fabricated and cast metal tank hull.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Bix called it ersatz armour, I have always heard it called Schürzen (and I thought there was a "t" in there somewhere). If I am using the wrong terminology I will be happy to edit and get on the correct path!

I did state these are my first journeys into the world of German armor.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Basically the spaced armour on say Pz 3 s and any conventional bolted or welded armour should be considered factory.
Schurzen was also produced by the factories and either fitted then as part of its mass manufacturing process or sent as kits to rear depots for retrofitting.
Ersatz armour is derived from
Materials locally available, salvaged from old vehicles and custom cut to suit by individual crews and or relevant support units.
Pendulum Stugs later on were a mix of both,
I refer to any vehicle that seems to have schurzen on it in an unconventional design to be Ersatz .
Like my Moravian StuG that resembles a turtle .
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ecam: If I pronounce Schürzen, the Z sounds as if a TS sound. I learned German at age 14-17, and I cannot pronounce it any other way. Maybe one of the native Germans here on RCTW can check me on this.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

jarndice wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:34 pm I have been following this build with interest and all along I have been puzzled by the term Schurzen which I have always believed to be the name given to the additional armour fitted around the Turret of the late PZ4 Ausf G and the additional armour around the turret and body of the PZ4 Ausf H/J,
Wasn't it mostly on PZ3's?
jarndice wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:34 pm The Anti Magnetic mine paste fitted to most German Armour upto 1944 was called Zimmerit.
I await correction. :lolno:
Where's this mentioned/discussed within this build?

Return to “Heng Long Builds”