Panzer IV with Schürzen

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Panzer IV with Schürzen

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Ecam wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:55 pm You explained it better than I could! Well done.
Thank you :)
I once made this contraption many many years ago, so I sort of understand a bit ;)
Attachments
20240203_142146.jpg
20240203_142146.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 257 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

That definitely wouldn't fit under the turret. Cool contraption, but I have no idea its use.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Now the pictures and SoG explanation make sense. Thank you.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Ecam wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:11 pm That definitely wouldn't fit under the turret. Cool contraption, but I have no idea its use.
That makes two of us lol. It was an apprentice test piece. Apparently it was part of a larger production type machine, or was a machine part that never went into production.
One of the tests was to hand scrape the top piece flat, like a surface plate/table.
And now I'm going to take it to the local recycle centre with some other pointless hoarded junk lol.
Sorry, I'll leave you to it :{
Attachments
20240203_143757.jpg
20240203_143757.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 250 times
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Naw, strip it down and save some useful pieces. That's a thick chunk of alum on top!

Ok, I read the HL turret bin was a bit off (understatement). I am trying to use the parts that came with the tank do a reasonable looking model. It's not that I'm cheap (actually I am) but I like to work with what is on hand. It took a bit of work to arrive at this. Scratching may have been easier.

New wings, a section job and new "sheet metal".

I am still looking for more pictures, I feel it might need a chop job as well (too tall) and possibly too long as well.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

There is added weight in the breach so the barrel naturally is headed skyward. A friction plate is added because in this low profile set up, the plunger runs directly against it. And a light ball point pen spring to keep the bounce down.

Minimum and maximum travel at this point.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Shortened the bin and changed the rear arc. Also the wall is near vertical now. Per the World War Photo pic:

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"And now I'm going to take it to the local recycle centre with some other pointless hoarded junk." Wait SoG: are you serious? Maybe it's kid's stuff to you, but I would be proud to have accomplished that! I am guessing that is does darned near nothing, kind of a "BS grinder." Still, its an heirloom, at least to those like me who have no hairs or heirs.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Eric, if I have this right in my noddle, you have created a metal lifter that rides on top of the circular cam-on-a-gear thingie, but you located the lifter rod at 180 degrees to the original riding position of the flange thingie that comes off the standard RTR barrel gizmo. The white plastic half-circles create a sturdy sleeve to guide the metal lifter rod. That way, you can mount the gun lift mechanism under the turret and farther forward. the weight on the gun breech works against the pen spring, both forcing the breech to ride on the lifter and the lifter to ride on the cam without bouncing or just staying up off the cam altogether.
Setting my technical terms aside, did I get it?
If so, then, I, too wonder how are you going to fit that now low-hanging mechanism into the PzKfw. IV hull.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I still think that Taigens answer is neater and as effective as displayed with their latest PZ4 Turret which is as accurate if not more so than Tamiyas.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”