Bulldog build. First TANK!

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
HaveBlue83
Recruit

Bulldog build. First TANK!

Post by HaveBlue83 »

I got a tank! My Gfather just passed away at 93.....he commanded an M42 Duster. They don't make a duster, but one day I'd like to convert one over to that. I'm a machinist and I got some ideas......

Anyways, I decided to start with an M41 since the duster is based on these. I always wanted a tank. Heard about HL so I got a PRO from Motion RC. I'm a veteran plastic modeller, and I have RC planes, heli's and cars, so this is a bit different but right down my alley! I also have a 3d printer I need to repair so I can get some accessories pooped out for this!

I got the tracks a bit tighter with pooping on PLA+ and then sanding down, added to about 1.770" Dia iirc. Def improvement on reverse and turning popping and such.

Got it assembled, the SSG is painted up, decals on, and I did the black out and normal bulbs in the front.

Speaker was crackling since I got it. It died. I happened to have another project that used the 5-below speakers, so I stole one and hey hey it works! Shoved it into the box and good to go again.

M41 Bulldog
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Bulldog build. First TANK!

Post by Ecam »

Great work, your commander is one of the better versions I have seen of him. That M42 would be a unique build, cool looking project.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

I believe someone has done a Duster - I’ll try and find some photos.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Great painting of the figure. Neat build.
HaveBlue83
Recruit

Post by HaveBlue83 »

Ad Lav wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:44 am I believe someone has done a Duster - I’ll try and find some photos.
I'd REALLY love pics and info!
M41 Bulldog
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Meter rat wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:08 am Great painting of the figure. Neat build.
He's no Crazy Joe, but a close second!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

When I volunteered a the military museum I got to drive our M42 Duster on several occasions. I've also wondered why no one has a conversion out there for a Duster. I think I even have a vid of me driving it around the "parade" area. My daughter was about 6 and rode in the turret.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HaveBlue83
Recruit

Post by HaveBlue83 »

The drivers window ports are bothering me, so they will get modded to sit flush like they should. Prollllly not gonna make the glass real at this point.

I also have to paint the commanders hatch windows silver. Just noticed them watching a video.

Files I'll need for an upper chassis and turret swap. I purchased the files today.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-print-model ... cale-model

I have an ender 3 pro printer but it's got a bad control button currently. A buddy has some spare parts for me, and he's got a few bigger printers. We went to college together for mfg and we did an entire semester for additive mfg. I'm gonna go visit him and see about getting the hull and turret scaled and printed. I might need a spare m41 sooner than later!

I'll have to mod the turret file and remove the cannons and print them separately and make them moveable. Dunno about the airsoft functioning of them. Might be able to mount 2 gun units in there tho. I'll see.
M41 Bulldog
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Just take note that the HL Bulldog dimensions are really off. If you end up printing something, make sure it will fit the HL hull first. The hull and tracks are too wide along with a host of other issues, but those are the major ones.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HaveBlue83
Recruit

Post by HaveBlue83 »

Yep, I'll have to scale it to hit width and length measurements.
M41 Bulldog

Return to “Heng Long Builds”