A pair of threes. Stug/PZIII

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: A pair of threes. Stug/PZIII

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"...two layers of aluminum screen one layer turned 45 degrees from the other." I am not too knowledgeable about the screens over the PzKw III, but I find the second trick more convincing. Are both forms actually prototypical? (If so, that wouldn't surprise me.)
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

Agreed. Started with the speaker cover and it was far easier to work with. But yes the screen looks better...
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I just got these books from Mike. A little reading and back to the projects!

Really great books, I've never seen one of this series before today. Fantastic pictures and diagrams.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

So I'm getting the feeling some of you out there might be snickering behind this rookie's back. While I feel this was a valiant attempt of a bin-less G turret...
It turns out that Germany used most of the alphabet to create the PZIIIs during the war. The books Mike sent to me showed that the turret is indeed the larger one used starting with the H model. The slope of the rear wall seam (just behind the side hatch) leaned forward on the G and earlier builds necessitating the blister I built. H and on that wall seam was leaned back slightly. Mine just needs the blister removed and the cupula moved back forward.

Quit laughing gents... or I may have to move back to the Shermans!

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Methinks that's good work, Ecam. Of course, a PzKfw III is not a Sherman, but I suppose it's worth your efforts. (Woo Hoo: I just started a fight. Actually, I have at least four PzKfw III and as many StuG and like them all.)
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Ecam wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:20 pm So I'm getting the feeling some of you out there might be snickering behind this rookie's back.

Quit laughing gents... or I may have to move back to the Shermans!

Rookie, my Derrière. This is going to be a brilliant build from one of the best builder on here. You’ve just mixed up metric and imperial measurements.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

What some of you might not be aware of is the money I've been sending to the West side of Scotland!

Blister removed, patched and newly drilled roof. That ring on top lifts out, and allows the cupula a snug centered fit.

No idea of the origins but I have a few hand me down tools that come in handy at times on the tank builds.

Last edited by Ecam on Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

With CAD long established, such drafting tools have become heirlooms. I have my father's set--somewhat fewer tools--from right after WWII. I cherish it, and on some occasions use it. But an inexpensive electronic calipers has taken over many of the responsibilities.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I know dad did some art work in the Marine Corps (have a letter thanking him for his artistic contributions from CINCPAC Admiral John McCain Jr. - father of the U.S. Senator) but really don't think he did drafting of any kind. But yes I agree these tools don't get the use that the $10 digital caliper does.

Alright, the turret is back to an H or later model. Still not sure where I'm headed yet but I've narrowed it down to H through N!

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:13 am "...I am not too knowledgeable about the screens over the PzKw III, but I find the second trick more convincing."
Herr Doc,

Since I can hear the complete disappointment in your post on my attempt at the speaker grille vent covers. I headed back to the drawing board for a grueling 14 hours (ok 30 minutes) and came up with this.

Just one layer this time. Still needs some sanding/finishing.

Eric

Return to “Stug”