1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: 1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

Post by Kaczor »

The gunshot smoke effect looks great! The screens look very good also. I thought about making them of metal in Stug, but it's probably a waste of time.

PS. I remembered that my first RC model was a Panzer III M. Old Heng Long with only minor modifications (inluding crappy metal exhaust) and very basic paint job.
IMG_20200117_182958-1280x719.jpg
IMG_20200117_182958-1280x719.jpg (170.59 KiB) Viewed 121768 times
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build

Post by lmcq11 »

1/16 PzKpfw III Ausf M - Trumpeter/Heller kit with Taigen hull integration - Build
9a.JPG (1.47 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

The wooden islolation strip at the bottom of the rear turret schurzen has been correctly reproduced.

9b.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

The inside of the door panels have nasty pin marks that need to be filled with putty, they show a lot. These panels are kept removable because they easily hold in place, squeezed between the front and back sections.

9c.JPG (948.44 KiB) Viewed 121764 times
10.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

A fifth schurzen plate is provided at the rear. According to Achtung Panzer, these were seen on few vehicles. Although they are interesting to add to the vehicle, they have no support at all. Both the instructions and Achtung Panzer do not provide any details as to how to mount them properly. The only option i see would be to glue them to the neighbouring plate. Not ideal.

11.JPG (1.44 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

As this plate is optional and has no mount whatsoever, i will not be installing it. Shown here for demo purposes. Touch it and it falls off.

12.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

Some more views of the schurzens and mounts.

11a.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

Still waiting for the Aber machine guns.

11b.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

The schurzen mount brackets needed a lot of clean up. I can still see some lines here that need to be removed.

14.JPG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 121764 times
15.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 121764 times

continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

And of course, there are options to display different field setups, one of the benefit of keeping the schurzens individually removable.

15b.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 121762 times
15c.JPG (1.46 MiB) Viewed 121762 times

The model as it stands today.

16.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 121762 times

Regards, Louis
Last edited by lmcq11 on Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

jarndice wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:00 pm The top hatches are made operable with 0.5mm bit and corresponding brass wire.
Might I suggest instead of Brass wire you substitute Piano Wire, it is strong and springy.
Interesting. thank you
Kaczor wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:12 pm PS. I remembered that my first RC model was a Panzer III M. Old Heng Long with only minor modifications (inluding crappy metal exhaust) and very basic paint job.
Looking good and better than mine. I will redo the paint job on my old Panzer III while i paint this one, maybe also redo the electronic setup. And i ended up with a lot of spare parts for the ausf J and L from the Trumpeter kit, i am tempted to use some of them on the Heng Long. I realize now that my new Trumpeter Panzer III might not get close to anything within 1 meter to keep it safe... My old Heng Long might still be handy.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hello,

After watching a few good looking HL Panzer III, i decided to take a few hours to upgrade my old Ausf L that i will paint and finish at the same time as the Ausf M.

I opened the HL ausf L. It's bizarre to inspect your own work from a previous decade. It has a good gearbox. When i originally replaced the BB barrel by a more accurate one, i did not know at the time how to do a recoil with flash, and the HL electronics were not supporting it. The barrel and elevation were fixed in place, and the BB unit was emptied as a holder for the barrel.

So this tank could only drive around and turn the turret, that's it.

I threw away in the garbage all the RX-18 stuff and will have to get a couple more TK 7.1 for plug and play on my tanks. I decided to give it servo recoil, flash and coax MG in addition to other cosmetic details, but it shall remain a HL panzer III.

1.JPG (2.46 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

Found an intact HL BB unit in the junkyard to transform into a recoil unit, i have many.

2.JPG (2.58 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

Then emptied but i keep the slider.

3.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

The bottom section is cut away.

4.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

I think the aluminum barrel was from Tank-modellbau of Germany. After taking measurements with the home made recoil unit, the root is determined to be too long and is cut. A brass tube is used as a connector with the recoil unit slider.

5.JPG (1.75 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

The metal barrel support tube that was inserted into the plastic barrel support is still good and the barrel slides well. All a need is to make sure nothing in the recoil unit will create any friction with the barrel.

6.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

After re-assembly of the barrel with the slider inside the recoil unit, it is mounted on the turret like it used to be. A regular micro servo is installed on the side for recoil with a push rod.

7.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

An elevation servo is installed at the back, with a push rod to the back of the recoil unit, providing much better elevation than the old HL motorized elevation unit. A yellow LED with fibre optic is installed for the coax machine gun and also inside the L60 for gun flash. I could install a gun smoke but not on this one.

8.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

Everything is tested and working fine.

9.JPG (2.82 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

Here we go, a HL with L60 main gun servo recoil, flash, sound, servo elevation, with coax MG flash and sound, in maybe 4 hours of work, at the cost of 2 micro servos and push rods. Works better than anything you can purchase.

10.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 117164 times

continuing on following post
Last edited by lmcq11 on Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Also did a few cosmetic changes. The turret side doors were installed upside down at the factory. There were removed and installed correctly. The broken cupola did not have the right orientation, the frontal periscope should face forward. It was given a new cupola i had on inventory from a previous conversion. The home made gutters were replaced by spare HL ones found in the turret junkyard. And i gave it hollow air intakes, along with the Trumpeter PE grills that were surplus from the ausf M project.

11.JPG (2.14 MiB) Viewed 117147 times
12.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 117147 times

Ah, finally got my Aber MG-34 with Panzermantel. These are the 16L-03 with armored barrel for use on Panzer bow and coax, not the 16L-02 with round barrel and AA sight for the cupola.

13.JPG (2.21 MiB) Viewed 117147 times

The thin barrel is cut but the tip is made hollow.

14.JPG (799.58 KiB) Viewed 117147 times

A new barrel made of brass tubes is created to host the fiber optic cable. The parts used to create the bow and coax MG are shown. The plastic Trumpeter MG and mount are used to determine the exterior length of the barrel only.

I use 1mm fibre optic cable. The new hollow barrel is an Albion MBT12 1.2mm outside and 1.0mm inside brass tube, with overlay at the root to match the interior of the brass guard. It makes a solid operable MG34.

The LED is drilled for the larger tube and the 1mm fibre optic that goes a bit deeper inside.

15.JPG (750.39 KiB) Viewed 117147 times

Here we have the bow and coax MG ready to be installed. The ABER MG are a bit thinner than the Trumpeter plastic MG so i had to put a black tape spacer for them to hold in position inside the slots.

The nice Trumpeter MG-34 body can be better used for other external purposes where it will show.
16.JPG (712.99 KiB) Viewed 117147 times

Bow MG-34 is installed as shown. The Trumpeter parts for the flexible pivot are excellent and can be used as is.

17.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 117147 times

A micro servo is installed without ceremony to provide realistic mouvement to the machine gun using a push rod.

18.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 117147 times

I gave the MG a base on which to slide unevenly with a light curve. The connection is loose just enough to give it a realistic human feel to the mouvement, not a mechanical and horizontal left/right mouvement following a strait pattern.

19.JPG (2.7 MiB) Viewed 117147 times

The Aber MG-34 provides a Panzer III bow machine gun with unparalleled details. But it takes a bit of effort with basic tools to make it functional with a LED and servo.

20.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 117147 times

continuing on following post.
Last edited by lmcq11 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:37 pm, edited 11 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

21.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 117141 times
22.JPG (1.9 MiB) Viewed 117141 times
23.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 117141 times

For the coax, it was not obvious how much it should come out of the mantlet, as shown by Achtung Panzer. The details does not perfectly match.

24.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 117141 times

The Trumpeter turret provides a realistic mount for the coax MG34. Just need to slide it in like the real thing and fix it in place.

25.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 117141 times

Looks good.

26.JPG (859.59 KiB) Viewed 117141 times
27.png (1.08 MiB) Viewed 117141 times

For comparison, these are the MG on the HL Panzer III.

28.JPG (2.89 MiB) Viewed 117141 times

Equivalent on the Trumpeter build with Aber brass MG. The finesse is exquisite.

29.JPG (2.22 MiB) Viewed 117141 times

The nice and thin PE plate was added on top of the frontal armor. Very nice compared to the thickness of the HL part.

30.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 117141 times
Last edited by lmcq11 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

This is it, the models are ready for painting, the Trumpeter kit providing nice decals for both.

I'll be going on a trip for a couple of weeks. Next time you see them in February, they will be painted.
31.JPG (1.59 MiB) Viewed 117130 times

Regards, Louis
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Louis, I hope it's not too late to wish you a pleasant trip. I noticed your comment that you threw away...the RX-18 stuff...and will have to get a couple more TK 7.1 for plug and play." I hope you will be able to present a lesson when you "plug" in the TK 7.1. I have a few older HengLong tanks that might benefit from such a change-over, especially my insulting-award-winning Tauchpanzer. (viewtopic.php?p=347727&hilit=Tauchpanzer#p347727) and (viewtopic.php?p=347832&hilit=Tauchpanzer#p347832). Maybe you could do, please, a "Putting in a TK 7.1 for Idiots" post.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When I see all the great detail I was surprised you did not take advantage of the free space in the Heng Longs turret box after modding the main gun,
I think I would have sawn off the turret box and lowered it as your Trumpeter turret box is.
I am afraid I have been spoiled by Taigens reengineered PZ4 turret but in truth I fear I am being picky when overall it is a magnificent job of work. :thumbup: :clap:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Other Builds”