[WINTER] Porsche Turret King Tiger w\Commander

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

[WINTER] Porsche Turret King Tiger w\Commander

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon!
I have already made a start on this Build by sourcing a metal Taigen \Torro Lower Hull with running Gear and a 1/35 Scale Hobby Boss Porsche King Tiger to build and serve as a Paint\Details and Zimmerit mule. I know that we are supposed to keep the 'Going Crazy with Parts' to a minimum but since I am replacing the Lower, I anticipate having to swap electronics as well after over a Decade since this HL Tank came out. Here are some pics of the Hobby Boss Model being built and the Subject in all it's 'unique' HL original paint scheme.
regards,
Painless
KT Bow A.jpg
KT Bow A.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
KT R.Rear Quarter.jpg
KT R.Rear Quarter.jpg (117.79 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
Hobby Bossy Porsche King Tiger 1.35.jpg
Hobby Bossy Porsche King Tiger 1.35.jpg (321.18 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
Hobby Boss Essentials minus the 5 sprues of parts I did not show.jpg
Hobby Boss Essentials minus the 5 sprues of parts I did not show.jpg (239.76 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
1.35 scale Zimmerit to practice on.  ATAK will supply the 1.16 scale stuff for the HL.jpg
1.35 scale Zimmerit to practice on. ATAK will supply the 1.16 scale stuff for the HL.jpg (202.33 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
My Workspace as of last week ( Less Cluttered now ).jpg
My Workspace as of last week ( Less Cluttered now ).jpg (330.78 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
Hobby Boss build underway.jpg
Hobby Boss build underway.jpg (313.97 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
Progress up until my Fall.jpg
Progress up until my Fall.jpg (242.87 KiB) Viewed 20842 times
...Here for the Dawn...
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: [WINTER] Porsche Turret King Tiger w\Commander

Post by Ecam »

Actually, I know the limit on price and parts was a suggestion early on but by the time was rules were finalized, there was no mention of cost. So accessorize away!

Also there is a Group Build site now (at the bottom of the builds section). I'm sure one of the moderators will get this thread moved.

Looks like a great start!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

The technicolour phase of Heng Long. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it...and the Mini-me shop mule!

Mike.
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Mr. Wolf I'm so glad you've made it. I hope you are not too painful and recovering swiftly. I remember you mentioning building the model mule and think that's a genius move. I look forward to another inspiring build from you and really like your subject.

Are ya gonna snip the fenders? I'm seriously considering that for my KT. Never mind don't divulge anything too early that would ruin the surprise.
Ecam wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:31 pm Actually, I know the limit on price and parts was a suggestion early on but by the time was rules were finalized, there was no mention of cost. So accessorize away!
Yes budget or limited price was an idea tossed around early on more to make it more accessible to newer people, even the playing field and for those with limited funds. But the good idea of including unfinished projects and using parts on hand made the budget requisite kinda moot. And this wasn't proposed as a competition. This is for fun and camaraderie. Some people including myself are trying to keep the costs down but that's a personal goal.

I agree, have at it. Knowing full well that there will be impressive DIY and custom work from those playing in this sandbox.

Play On!!!
Last edited by MrChef on Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening!
Oh heck yeah! Punching above my weight has been the best way to learn from the amazing Modelers on this site. The Guys who build the 'Just Came Out of Battle and It Shows' tanks, I've always been the Depot Guy on the other end, sending them out painted fresh with new markings ready for the next Battle. ;0) Anything I learned about how to do stowage or weathering, I learned from those folks. This HL King Tiger was one of the first tanks I asked questions about and posted pics of on the Forum. I'm honored to be able to participate in this Seasonal Build Group and finally redo one of my first efforts.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Nice. Atak Zimmerit is great, higly recommended. Fits nicely with minimum putty needed. My early Tiger II during build:
Attachments
IMG_20230424_190901_copy_1280x720.jpg
IMG_20230424_190901_copy_1280x720.jpg (256.5 KiB) Viewed 20770 times
IMG_20230424_190932_copy_1280x721.jpg
IMG_20230424_190932_copy_1280x721.jpg (218.21 KiB) Viewed 20770 times
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Thank you for the pics, Kaczor! That is exactly the type of effect I am hoping for. Another good reason for the 1/35 Paint Mule KT. I have _ never_ applied Zimmerit before on any of my Builds. Time to learn a skill and apply it.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Ahh Zimmerit , it’s all about the glue.
Sand the back of the patches to key it and get the glue all over the entire area you are placing the patch on.
Or you get edges peeling.
Also, do and damage to it before placing it on the glue, it’s a lot easier
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

PainlessWolf wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:57 pm I have _ never_ applied Zimmerit before on any of my Builds. Time to learn a skill and apply it.
Neither have I, and I know it is in my relatively near future. You've got my full attention.

And No I'm not as adventurous or masochistic as Mr. Bix and his hot fire poker.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Alright! I give up! What is it?
IMG_20230424_190932_copy_1280x721.jpg
IMG_20230424_190932_copy_1280x721.jpg (12.43 KiB) Viewed 20737 times

Return to “Group Builds”