Heng Long Panther

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
jeff1101
Corporal

Heng Long Panther

Post by jeff1101 »

Hi All,

I once created a thread here when I was detailing my HL Panther. Unfortunately all my photos were lost when my image hosting provider went to a paid service and I failed to retrieve them.

Here are profile pics of the tank currently. My final modifications were to the suspension to get the correct track droop. Enjoy.

I was going for this look of a Panther fresh out of the factory production line with new torsion bars.

regards
Jeffrey
Last edited by jeff1101 on Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Heng Long Panther

Post by Estnische »

Yep that claimed a few victims. Hopefully you can post up some larger ones, as it is a bit hard to see your good work at the moment. Gotta love a Panther.
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Yup, sorry bout that. I must have posted the thumbnail link instead of the actual ones. Updated my original post.
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Here is the rear of the tank with mud, mud splatter effects and of course the requisite metal pail attached to the pintle mount. You can really see here how the Germans didn't redesign the rear storage bins from the Panther A to the Panther G. The side slope of the Panther G changed from A, but the storage bins retained the angle shape of the A. They just moved the bins inward so it would fit.

MrChef

Post by MrChef »

jeff1101 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:47 am You can really see here how the Germans didn't redesign the rear storage bins from the Panther A to the Panther G. The side slope of the Panther G changed from A, but the storage bins retained the angle shape of the A. They just moved the bins inward so it would fit.
That's interesting.

Good looking Panther. Thank you for re-sharing. You've done some nice work.
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

jeff1101 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:14 am Yup, sorry bout that. I must have posted the thumbnail link instead of the actual ones. Updated my original post.
:thumbup:
SCHWEREPANZER
Sergeant

Post by SCHWEREPANZER »

Hey Jeff,

Exceptionally nice work. If you can somehow rustle up a few more photos, would enjoy seeing them. Nice, clean work (for a somewhat dirty tank). :lolno:
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Sure. Here are some views of the tank.

Here is a top view of the tank. You might be wondering why (with the turret rotated like this) the part underneath the turret is still in its red oxide primer color instead of the camo colors. I figured the factory crew would not have had the time (nor the inclination) to rotate the turret a full 360 degrees just to make sure all areas underneath the turret got painted with camo. The red cross painted on the engine deck ventilator indicates this Panther as having the new cooling ventilator design issued to Panthers at the factory starting Nov 1944.

Speaking of red oxide primer I even simulated the process of painting the red oxide primer at the factory before the application of the camo colors. Like I said earlier in my post I was not able to save most of the photos during the period I was detailing the tank but here are some that survived.

Even at this early stage I was already spraying black on areas where shadows would fall or to highlight areas like corners where 2 plates meet or along seams. I plan on spraying the camo colors as thin as possible (I hoped) that these shadow effects would still be visible and make the tank "pop" or have that 3D effect.

Details of the engine deck.

Details of the gun cleaner stowage container and empty tool racks. You can also see my attempt at weld lines.

And finally details of the rear

Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Really impressive paint work. Like the primer under the turret. Had no idea of the hull change in the different marks, good info for the rest of us.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ecam is right: atop all your other sharp-eyed details, that primer showing under the turret makes for a convincingly logical possibility, especially for a late war German tank. :thumbup:

Return to “Heng Long Builds”