Gurus, I need some help!

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Gurus, I need some help!

Post by Ecam »

One of my early tanks is a PzIII with and exposed circuit board no crystal but a three position switch on the board. I believe it to be an RX18, the TX is silver. I plan to upgrade it so that is not yet my question. The other first tank was a 2.4 MFU in the box like most of the my tanks have. Now the question...

My brother sent this to me as a birthday gift. It has the familiar MFU but is not marked 2.4. And it has the blue exposed circuit board with a crystal. It did not come with a TX or instructions. WHAT DO I HAVE? What transmitter is needed or is this a good candidate to upgrade the electronics. If it is a version of RX18, I'll assume the non crystal TX I have from the PZIII would not work!?!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
jee
Staff Sergeant

Re: Gurus, I need some help!

Post by jee »

if it has a crystal, you also need a tx with a crystal (same number as it indicats the channel)

I would upgrade it

disclaimer: I am no guru by any means :D
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Thanks Jee. So there are crystal and non-crystal RX18 systems?

I wasn't impressed with my panzer III. Speed control was sort of on/off.

Eric
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

It may well be an RX13,
Are the connections to the control board plugged in or soldered in place ?
If you go to E-Bay you can find the old transmitter they have a little box on the front with the number of the crystal on it, of course you need matching crystals they certainly were available so try E-Bay but the lack of functions compared with what we are used to I would modernise the tanks electronics.
There are a number of conversions on the Forum if you check through the relevent menu.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I'd bin the electronics and get a V6.1 or a V7.1 so you can use servos for the relevant controls.
As for the Rx 18 description, the non-crystal versions are Rx 18 but carry a version like V5 or V 5.4 etc. Its actually fairly hard to nail down a specific version post crystal!
they are all 2.4 gig and have switchable sounds, or not, 4 sound options, or 2, etc etc.
Just bin it and get one of the latest H/L options.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

Its a heng long stug iii IR version fitted with a heng long rx18 27mhz control board and receiver there should be a crystal in the receiver board accessed through the battery box
the transmitter it uses is pictured below can be silver or black. Crystal is located bottom right corner 02

If you search through the forum you will find that people waste more money trying to get these old systems working than it cost to replace it so if you don't have a transmitter that works with it don't waste money on 1. it's more a case of what you want to do with it.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Thanks for the info. I did some additional reading last night and learned of the RX13/14/etc. Was not even aware of these systems. Yep, upgrades will be coming, when this project gets its' turn.

Eric
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :)
Old Heng Long system, with quartz, in red on the photo, location of the crystal on the reception plate. Exists the same in 2.4 Ghz (RX 18) but with the same functions. There were also systems without quartz, (very old .. .) without quartz, but switch 3 positions on TX and platinum of the tank, thus allowing to choose the frequency
IMG_3038.jpeg
IMG_3038.jpeg (382.76 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
IMG_3039.jpeg
IMG_3039.jpeg (175.79 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
very old HL turntable without qartz
Attachments
IMG_3044.jpeg
IMG_3044.jpeg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 1524 times
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Jofaur, you are working way too hard! Thank you.

I gutted the Stug and swapped in a newer system from a tank waiting it's turn on the bench. All systems (recoil, flash, sounds, and movements) work. I am still debating going to aftermarket boards for my three TDs to get my recoiling barrel and breeches working. That would free up the systems for use in retrofits.

Eric
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I have some of this old crap laying around in a box at home, but not sure what I have at this point. I should probably just Ebay the whole box and be done with it...lol
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Heng Long”