Heng Long IR vs IBU2U IR

Discuss the good old Heng Long electronics here, whether its mods on them or anything else, it goes here!
VonDomenic
Recruit

Heng Long IR vs IBU2U IR

Post by VonDomenic »

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I hope I've chosen the right section to try to solve this dilemma.

I own three RC tanks, with different boards:

1) "Porsche" [Early Tiger II] Kingtiger Heng Long IR, the old RX18 versions

2) Kingtiger Torro IR (Full metal), with an IBU2 Ultimate.

3) T34 85 Heng Long, the recent 7.0 version

I tried to make the Torro Kingtiger fight with the IBU2 Ultimate against the T34 Heng Long, and I noticed that the only one to receive the signal of the received hit is the T34.
The Tiger II does not react to shots from the Heng Long T34 tank.

I believed that IBU, in addition to Tamiya, is compatible with HL battle systems.

Speaking of which, is there a way to make the two systems compatible while keeping the boards unchanged?

I know that Torro makes a signal converter for torro and Heng Long tanks (picture below), which in theory also shares pins with the IBU's IR slot.
Could it work if i put it in the IBU? LINK: https://www.torro-shop.de/IR-signal-converter

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Heng Long IR vs IBU2U IR

Post by tankme »

I know I answered some of this on another forum. The IBU2 should work with the 7.0 right out of the box, but it won't work with the RX18. If your T34 will not give hits to the IBU2, (dumb question incoming) do you have a Tamiya or Impact or LegoDEI IR receiver (apple) connected to the IBU2? If so, have you checked to see if the T34 IR LED is working? Way to check, start video or camera mode on your phone, point it at the front of the T34, fire the gun, and observe if there is a purple light coming out of the IR LED port on the phone display. The purple pulse will last a second or two only. If you do have an apple installed, maybe the wiring is incorrect or the apple could be installed in the wrong direction (as in pin 1 connected to pin 5). If the T34 LED is working correctly and the apple is working correctly on the IBU, they should be able to battle.

The Torro IR converter board converts the Torro proprietary IR signal into a Tamiya standard signal that the IBU2, Tamiya, and Heng Long versions 6.x/7.x can detect. I have never heard of anyone using it on any other type of system especially a Heng Long. The RX18 and the Torro do no use the same protocol and therefore this Torro converter would not work on the IBU (Tamiya protocol) or the RX18 (HL proprietary protocol) as it's sole propose is to convert the Torro proprietary protocol to the Tamiya protocol.

Rules of thumb with IR battle systems:

1. Torro works with Torro/Taigen and Torro/Taigen only, but Torro/Taigen system with Torro IR converter makes it work with Tamiya protocol.
2. OLD HL 5.3 and older (includes RX18), only works with OLD HL protocol, but Clark and TCB (maybe others, but not new HL or IBU) can be programed to work with these old HL protocols.
3. IBU, TCB, ASP, Tamiya, Clark, Kim's RTCU, Elmod, and the various others similar to new HL 6.x/7.x (TX16, TX26) all work on the Tamiya protocol by default.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

VonDomenic: I am impressed by your concise way of putting your question in English. You know RC tanks and you can write well. I look forward to more of your posts.
Tankme Derek: your response is a model of helpfulness, making me once again proud of the helpfulness and skill among those on RCTW.
VonDomenic
Recruit

Post by VonDomenic »

tankme wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:28 pm I know I answered some of this on another forum. The IBU2 should work with the 7.0 right out of the box, but it won't work with the RX18. If your T34 will not give hits to the IBU2, (dumb question incoming) do you have a Tamiya or Impact or LegoDEI IR receiver (apple) connected to the IBU2? If so, have you checked to see if the T34 IR LED is working? Way to check, start video or camera mode on your phone, point it at the front of the T34, fire the gun, and observe if there is a purple light coming out of the IR LED port on the phone display. The purple pulse will last a second or two only. If you do have an apple installed, maybe the wiring is incorrect or the apple could be installed in the wrong direction (as in pin 1 connected to pin 5). If the T34 LED is working correctly and the apple is working correctly on the IBU, they should be able to battle.

The Torro IR converter board converts the Torro proprietary IR signal into a Tamiya standard signal that the IBU2, Tamiya, and Heng Long versions 6.x/7.x can detect. I have never heard of anyone using it on any other type of system especially a Heng Long. The RX18 and the Torro do no use the same protocol and therefore this Torro converter would not work on the IBU (Tamiya protocol) or the RX18 (HL proprietary protocol) as it's sole propose is to convert the Torro proprietary protocol to the Tamiya protocol.

Rules of thumb with IR battle systems:

1. Torro works with Torro/Taigen and Torro/Taigen only, but Torro/Taigen system with Torro IR converter makes it work with Tamiya protocol.
2. OLD HL 5.3 and older (includes RX18), only works with OLD HL protocol, but Clark and TCB (maybe others, but not new HL or IBU) can be programed to work with these old HL protocols.
3. IBU, TCB, ASP, Tamiya, Clark, Kim's RTCU, Elmod, and the various others similar to new HL 6.x/7.x (TX16, TX26) all work on the Tamiya protocol by default.
What a kind and thorough answer! I think you have gone through all my doubts, and thus give me the opportunity to look into more options and ask related questions!

Don't think there are "dumb questions", because in fact I understand very little about electronics, so any suggestion or question remains legitimate!

I'll start by answering point by point.

-The mushroom receiver of the Kingtiger Torro equipped with the IBU2U is the one I found in its box (I bought the tank used) and I don't think it's among those you mentioned. I am attaching a photo so that you can recognize it.

Maybe it's a Taigen/HL V1 infrared battle system? Unfortunately I can not recognize it!

This afternoon, as soon as I get home, I'll confirm if the T-34 Heng Long's IR lights up, as you recommended!

-Regarding the Kingtiger Heng Long (Porsche RX18), thanks to the information you gave me, I already understood that it is impossible to make him fight against IBU and Tamiya. Luckily I have one more IBU2U aside, and one day I will consider putting it in this tank.

In conclusion, could the Tiger II Torro's problem with IBU be just its standard mushroom receiver?
Is there a receiver with the same bindings (3 pin top hatch connector) as the IBU Torro Tiger II, without me having to rewire the internal wires and plugs? which is the simplest to install, in order to be able to make him fight both against Tamiya and the new HL?
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:46 pm VonDomenic: I am impressed by your concise way of putting your question in English. You know RC tanks and you can write well. I look forward to more of your posts.
Tankme Derek: your response is a model of helpfulness, making me once again proud of the helpfulness and skill among those on RCTW.
Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad my questions can be useful to others too!
I do my best to express myself well in English (I'm Italian), so I could definitely do something wrong and I apologize in advance! Sometimes when I don't know the translation of some Italian words into English, luckily there is google translate to help me!
Once these doubts are resolved, I will surely start sharing aesthetic works on tanks, to share with you and let you participate!
I join the compliment to the forum. It's only been a few hours since my first post, and I already feel that I'm welcomed right at home, as well as having received many useful suggestions!

Thank you all, a lot!
Last edited by VonDomenic on Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I echo the good Doctors sentiments............very well articulated and defined series of posts.
In fact I may venture to say that your grasp of the awful English language is much better than those that are supposed to speak(and write) it as a fist language !!!.
The clarification of the various control profiles is enlightening and certainly relevant to me(and I assume loads of others).
Welcome along mate, good to have you here.

(oh, Bagnaia or Bezzecchi?) ;) :shifty:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

OK...we are getting into some territory where I'm not all that familiar. I have some of those Taigen apples laying around, but I've never used one. I do have an IBU2 here also, but never hooked it up to a tank. I found on the TCB Wiki how they hooked it up so maybe this will work for you. I took their pic an modified it for the IBU so the pic is crude, but you should get the idea. I would verify that it is hooked up to that port in the wiring order shown. If it doesn't work after verifying that...I'm at the end of my ideas. The Taigen apple also doesn't have any hit indicators (IE: LEDs) so all you will hear is the sound of being hit without any visual indication unless you add LEDs to the port as shown in the pic.

IBU to Recce apple.PNG
IBU to Recce apple.PNG (404.18 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
VonDomenic
Recruit

Post by VonDomenic »

tankme wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:46 pm OK...we are getting into some territory where I'm not all that familiar. I have some of those Taigen apples laying around, but I've never used one. I do have an IBU2 here also, but never hooked it up to a tank. I found on the TCB Wiki how they hooked it up so maybe this will work for you. I took their pic an modified it for the IBU so the pic is crude, but you should get the idea. I would verify that it is hooked up to that port in the wiring order shown. If it doesn't work after verifying that...I'm at the end of my ideas. The Taigen apple also doesn't have any hit indicators (IE: LEDs) so all you will hear is the sound of being hit without any visual indication unless you add LEDs to the port as shown in the pic.

IBU to Recce apple.PNG
First of all, thank you for researching and coming across a possible solution.
It's definitely not the easiest, also because I think we're talking about attempts, and if it doesn't work I'd have to rearrange everything as it was before.

Accessing the base of the mushroom connector does not seem like an easy task, I would have to disassemble several turret parts.

Meanwhile, I show a photo of the connector on my IBU:

The 3 cables referred to I assume are the Orange, White and Gray one. The other two are in theory for leds which I'm currently not interested in, right?
As soon as possible I will try to check in which order they attach to the base of the receiver.

Is this the only solution? aren't there others that directly provide for the replacement of the IR mushroom head by other brands?

Thanks
VonDomenic
Recruit

Post by VonDomenic »

SOLUTION:

We have arrived at the long-awaited solution!

Thinking about it now, I curse myself for not trying it sooner!
The solution is the protagonist of this photo:

That's right, it's the old Heng Long IR receiver, the one that was in the RX18 HL Tiger II Porsche box.
Well, out of curiosity I wanted to do some tests: it works!!

Now the only unknown is whether Taigen's blue receiver was broken, or whether it is not suitable for Heng Long signals.

I hope that the solution is within everyone's reach and that it can be useful to all those who have an IBU and don't know how to receive signals from the new Heng Long tanks.
HERMAN BIX wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:07 am I echo the good Doctors sentiments............very well articulated and defined series of posts.
In fact I may venture to say that your grasp of the awful English language is much better than those that are supposed to speak(and write) it as a fist language !!!.
The clarification of the various control profiles is enlightening and certainly relevant to me(and I assume loads of others).
Welcome along mate, good to have you here.

(oh, Bagnaia or Bezzecchi?) ;) :shifty:
I probably missed this step! Sorry if I answer only now:

Bagnaia or Bezzecchi? I probably don't have an answer: you are dealing with one of the few Italians who is not a fan of football or moto GP! :angel:
I've probably disappointed you a lot, but alternatively I can make an excellent carbonara, living in Rome I have to know how to do it or I'll lose my citizenship! :D

Thank you all for the great patience and curiosity you have shown in this post.
You have been very kind! Surely after the summer I will start some aesthetic work on the tanks, so I can finally introduce them to you!

It's time to rest a bit, and to follow with interest your wip in the forum sections!

I promise updates!
Take care! o7

Return to “Heng Long”