Ultimate drive.

Anything off topic you wish to go on this forum goes here.
thestig
Lance Corporal

Ultimate drive.

Post by thestig »

Good afternoon.

This coming Wednesday (May 17) I’ll be in Hudson, Mass. living a dream. I’ll be at the American Heritage Museum, where I’ll get driving lessons and then drive a M4A3 Sherman!

This was a Christmas present from my daughter (yes, I have great kids).

I just hope I don’t embarrass myself by stalling it (or running over something accidentally).

Wish me luck.

Frank
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Re: Ultimate drive.

Post by ColemanCollector »

Sweet! You recreate the scene from MASH of Frank Burns in the tank going "boom...boom...boom".
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I am reminded of "James May's Toy Story" program about Airfix: a youngster hesitates to drive a tank for fear of wrecking something. Ever supportive and encouraging, May says, "It's a tank, stupid!" Have fun! Maybe you can have your daughter record your drive on video so we can see the action. :clap:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Wow, some people get all the luck.

Enjoy your gift, I know I would :D
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
thestig
Lance Corporal

Post by thestig »

Good evening everyone.

Just got home from driving the Sherman yesterday and I’d like to share a few observations.

My driving time was about 20 minutes, and it was physical.

Operating the brake levers (to make turns) required a great amount of physical exertion. You really need to pull the brake level HARD and hold it, especially for sharp turns.The clutch had an extremely heavy pedal with long travel and short engagement. Having good arm and leg strength is a must to drive this tank.

The gas pedal had a lot of play due to the linkages running from the front of the hull to the rear, but it was fairly easy to maintain the desired rpm’s.

Peripheral vision was limited, I drove looking out of an open hatch.

The noise was extremely loud, and instructor and I communicated via headsets. There was no way we could hear each other without them.

The experience was simply FANTASTIC, and I will always be thankful for this opportunity that was given to me.

On a serious note: I drove the Sherman on a flat field with one hill, and it was physically demanding. I can’t imagine what it would be like to do so in actual combat. I’ve gained a deep respect and appreciation for the brave men who crewed not only Sherman’s, but any armored vehicle in battle.

Have a great evening.

Frank
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

I got to drive our EZ8 we had at the museum once. It is an experience. I also got to drive the M26 Pacific with a dead Sherman on the trailer, an M42 Duster, and the M114. Of course I drove the Mutt a short distance, our M37, and a deuce and a half in the snow. Now that was fun sliding the 6 wheel drive around the slick parking lot doing donuts. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

But ..............??? ................... :problem: ................... :shh: ............................ :shifty: ...............................
Were you wearing pants :O .............. :haha:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Freaking AWESOME!!!

I am so happy for you. This is a life experience I'd love to enjoy.

Did you also visit the museum? If so how was that as well?

I remember the Chieftain doing his unofficial tour of the museum before it opened. After seeing your post you've reignited my desire to visit the museum and I've luckily convinced the wife to go. I've followed the Littlefield collection for awhile.

It goes without saying you have a great daughter.

Great stuff,

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
thestig
Lance Corporal

Post by thestig »

Good evening Chef.

This museum is amazing. By all means go, and take your wife!

Two years ago we (my wife and I) visited the museum. The layout and displays are world class. You start with WWI, and proceed to WWII, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, the Gulf War, and finally to the current war on terror. My wife “humored” me by going, you know “the boy likes his tanks” attitude. But, she admitted she found it interesting, had really enjoyed herself, and was glad she came.

On our recent visit we did not spend much time there after my tank drive as we had a 7 hour drive to get home ahead of us. This was too bad as there were several new exhibits since our last visit. My wife was as disappointed about this as I was.

And I have another recommendation. If you like BBQ, make a reservation at Firefly’s BBQ, in near by Marlborough. This is simply the best BBQ restaurant I’ve ever been to (and that includes joints in NC, Kansas City, Colorado and PA) Their burnt ends and brisket are to die for.

Have a great week.

Frank
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

wow, thats awesome
That would be a cool bucket list activity for sure
The sharing of the experience is proper cool, very lucky fella
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project