My late Tiger conversion (Taigen)

LordLudikrous
Recruit

Re: My late Tiger conversion (Taigen)

Post by LordLudikrous »

I’m pleased to say the main hull is now completed. I’ve left off the sprocket hub caps for the time being in case I need to take the sprockets off again before the tank is completely finished. The fire extinguisher is still being painted as it’s a low priority item, and I still need to try and darken the tracks some more, but aside from that its finished. I’m very happy with the result and feel it’s a substantial improvement from what came before.

The magnetic system I devised for the air filters when opening the tank up works very well, although due to the flexibility of the hoses the paint is cracking and coming off; something already apparent in the photos. Not much I can do about that so I’ll leave it be, at a distance at least it adds some character. I don’t know if its because I varnished them and that’s made the paint too hard, but its likely I’ll have to respray them at some point in the future.

I also added some green stuff where the aerial plugs in to keep it stable, but I can remove and replace it any time I please. Very useful if I ever need to crank the turret fully to the right, or if I’m doing something up close where I risk poking my eye out. Its just a shame there isn’t enough flexibility for the aerial to just fold down when the gun moves overhead and ping back up again, but it really does look the part.

It has to be said that the tank is now much heavier than it used to be having an extra 16 road wheels over the later variation, plus metal hatches. Its going to get even heavier once the turret is finished and added, as the smoke dischargers, pistol port cover and cupola are all metal. The early metal copula is absolutely lovely; tons of detail and a great satisfying action. I noticed before I started this makeover that the plastic turret was front heavy owing to the gun, so I ordered the metal turret ring along with the new hull and other bits. I expect this extra weight along with the cupola will easily balance the weight of the gun.

All components of the turret bar the gun barrel are now out of their IPA bath and are being prepared for priming. As any imperfections will be super noticeable compared to the lower hull I’m taking my time with them. I feel like I’m on the home stretch at least.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Be aware the metal turret will over time cause the abs top of the tank body to flex and may cause cracks to form.I have metal tiger1 turrets and abs turrets and their is no difference in detail between the two so I always use abs turrets on my tigers it saves weight and reduces stress on the tank body..
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

LordLudikrous, your successes here are making hope that when I get to a Tiger 1 build, I can do as well as you. I do like the base color all over, sans camouflage, only because the three-color camouflage is understandably popular, but you have something different and similar to the Bovington Tiger. Nice job!
LordLudikrous
Recruit

Post by LordLudikrous »

Thanks for the positive feedback. Honestly I think all German tanks look great in plain dark yellow, and while you miss out on getting creative with camouflage patterns it saves considerable time and money. If you’re as risk averse as I’ve become it also minimises the chances of something going wrong.

One thing I have to say is how painfully obvious it is that the entire tank as a platform for both Heng Long and Taigen is designed for the early model with the late one almost being an afterthought. It just seems mad that with the popularity of the Tiger as a model that new moulds haven’t been made over the years for a relatively accurate late version.

As part of this back conversion I ordered new smoke dischargers, a pistol port, and an early cupola – all metal. The smoke dischargers are of noticeably higher quality and construction than any other metal part I’ve seen. The metal cupola is considerably more satisfying to use than the plastic revised cupola, closing with a hearty slam.

I’m still stripping the gun but work is going well with the turret. I’m not sure why they designed the pistol port hole to be open when its in the correct orientation but I was able to plug it by cutting a small piece of sprue and jamming it in the gap, then filled in the rest with grey putty so no light would leak through (not that it should but you never know).

All turret components except the gun barrel and muzzle brake have been primed in red oxide and coated in dark yellow, after which I then installed the smoke dischargers and cupola.

I’ve just finished applying the decals and am waiting for the decal softener to dry out before I seal it in with ‘ardcoat. Fortunately the weather is getting warmer so things are drying considerably faster than they did a few months back, provided everything goes well I could have this finished within the next couple of weeks.

I have to say watching the suspension work with the new wheels is oddly satisfying.

Return to “Tiger I”