SU-152 Zvierboi

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Met5
Corporal

SU-152 Zvierboi

Post by Met5 »

The post starts far back in time, when visiting my master I picked up the hull of a KV1 Taigen. It was a KV1 Bergerpanzer to be exact.

I would one day make a wagon with this hull. Impossible to resist that cart.

Recovered on the web a KV1 not too shabby, it slept for a long time in the warehouse. At the time I was busy with the Famo 88mm. Then it was Puma's turn, then Elefant. Now it's up to him.

The idea of ​​making a KV1 did not excite me: a well-made turret, a decidedly ridiculous piece on that hull / turret.

But the hull could be used for one of the most feared enemy tank destroyers: the SU 152.

In December 1942, three designs were presented, all based on the hull of the KV-1 tank and the ML-20 howitzer. In the end, the project presented by Joseph Yakovlevich Kotin was accepted, which allowed the vehicle to be built with minimal changes to the hull. The weapon was shortened by three calibers compared to the field version and some accessories were eliminated to improve its maneuverability. This new version was designated ML-20S.

Assembly of the first prototype, designated Object 236, began on December 31, 1942 and was completed in 25 days. With the name of KV-14 began the first tests that were successfully passed. The vehicle was accepted on February 14, 1943, after the conclusion of a second and more demanding series of tests, and entered service with the Red Army.

Production took place at the ČKZ plant in Chelyabinsk. The vehicle changed its name again and abandoned that of KV-14 to take on the definitive one of SU-152. After the first series produced in March, the vehicle underwent some modifications aimed at improving its reliability. Furthermore, the first tanks did not have a machine gun and this lack proved to be a problem, especially in urban fighting. From mid-1943, a 12.7 mm DShK machine gun was mounted as an anti-aircraft weapon. On some early production vehicles the weapon was installed during the repair work.

The vehicle was equipped with a direct aiming system that allowed, if necessary, to engage also the opposing tanks. During the period of entry into service of the SU-152, the Panzer VI Tiger I tank had appeared on the battlefields. The SU-152 with its weapon and the heavy projectile it used proved capable of engaging and destroying even the new German tank, even if hampered by the slowness in loading the weapon, being the ammunition of the type with separate charge.

The SU-152 was first used in combat during the Battle of Kursk. Two regiments were available equipped with 24 SU-152s each. From the second half of 1943 the vehicle will take part in every action that will involve the Red Army even if gradually in smaller numbers due to the losses suffered.

Although available in limited numbers, its performance during the defense of the Kursk salient was excellent, showing how the new vehicle could discourage even the most daring attacks by the new German tanks and self-propelled Panzer V Panther, Tiger I and Elefant; this earned him the Russian nickname of Zvierboi, ie "Hunter of Beasts".

The production period of the vehicle will be rather short as from December 1943 the ISU-152 will come into service with which it will be replaced. Total production should be between 670 and 740 units produced.

Let's start: here is the point of origin

Unfortunately, the hull has some trim problems on the ground:

Let's proceed to adjust the suspension:

The Gear Boxes also have some problems and we proceed to order a new hull and new Gear Box (HL PDSGB)

What seemed like a solution was a tragedy solved with a suspension upgrade ..... But why do you sell hulls with fragile arms?

and return to traditional gear boxes:

Meanwhile, the hull cover has arrived:

Electrical system: charging point, front and rear lights, ignition

Replacement of front shackle attachments:

From Patrie Officine that's all for the moment.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: SU-152 Zvierboi

Post by Ecam »

Nice introduction to the project. Great information on a tank I knew almost nothing about. Love the to see the work done for repair to get things working again. Head lights are top notch work.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I see more of your genius at work here, Met5. Thank you for lots of photos.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Nice. Always like another SU-152 on the boards. Your upper looks like Artem's work from Red Army Models.

Mine is currently broken as I barrel stabbed it into the ground at our last battle day and broke the elevation pivots. :(

Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Artem RedArmy
Private

Post by Artem RedArmy »

Hello Met5 . The lower front plate must be completely dismantled. The rear light of the KV/Su-152 tank was two-piece: the brake light was red; the marker light was blue
Met5
Corporal

Post by Met5 »

Thank you very much for reporting Anton!

You have been very kind!

I must have gone blind from not seeing.

About the rear lights: position and stop both go in the compartment that I find on the hull ... right? I will have to use SMD leds.

Best regards
Artem RedArmy
Private

Post by Artem RedArmy »

tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

More tail light info...
101_1036.JPG
101_1036.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 1446 times
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Artem RedArmy
Private

Post by Artem RedArmy »

I don't want to upset you, but this is the author's fiction. The same taillight was used on all KV-series tanks, as well as on T-34 tanks. And he had no options.
Artem RedArmy
Private

Post by Artem RedArmy »

Return to “Other Builds”