Winter watch tower.

stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Winter watch tower.

Post by stu_the_flat »

So the sun is setting around 4.30pm now. I am busy during the daylight hours so had taken to running my KV-1 in the dark for a few minutes has I had fitted that with a 3V LED headlight. All I can really see is a headlight moving around. So my plan is to build a watch tower with 4 x 3V LEDs that I can sit on the middle lawn after dark and see what is going on. might stick a 5th in the tower roof.

after last project I've learnt one thing. LOOK AT REFRENCE PHOTOS BEFORE I JUMP IN AND START BUILDING!! :) Also wanting to find a figure that can stand and look out. I am thinking of the classy hobby panzer crew driver as I could build it so his hand is on the railing and the pipe is a nice wee detail. happy for inspiring watch tower ideas. it will need to be compact so it can be packed away.
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Re: Winter watch tower.

Post by stu_the_flat »

It's fireworks night and I am now very drunk after visiting the neighbors. But just before bed I could not resist coating what I have built so far with the red wood stain so it can dry overnight. I've found a way to build search lights using the lids of my kids fruit shoot drinks. ImageImage

Sent from my Armor 9 using Tapatalk

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Looks good. I’ll drink to that!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Wow, Stu: on and off over the past few weeks, I have been putzing with the HengLong plastic watchtower kit. And here you are scratch-building a real wooden one! I am put to shame again! Hey, I'll survive. More pics, please, as you make this project better and better.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Here in Queensland(soon to be Kingsland :shifty: ) we are not allowed fireworks......................
Cant be trusted.............. :wtf:

Your watch towers are a hell of an addition to your already outstanding battlefield accouterments, top job that man :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Look, you wanted ideas, here they are. This is what I did years ago.
The searchlight is radio controlled and also it moves itself, searching.

It also has a stove with leds inside, for those cold winter nights.

https://radindustries.wordpress.com/201 ... atchtower/
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

That looks amazing! to be honest your whole site does. have you any advice for weathering wood? that is what I am wanting to focus on right now.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

stu_the_flat wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:07 am That looks amazing! to be honest your whole site does. have you any advice for weathering wood? that is what I am wanting to focus on right now.
Thank you!
There are several things you can do.
That was my first wooden model, so It is not as good as I'd make it now, and I have learn't some things in the path.
First thing I would do now is to use a grinding disc or a steel brush, and brush the entire tower once built.
Then, I'd stain it with a mixture of what is called "Betún de judea" in Spanish, I have no idea of the name in English, but it is basically petrol and then add white spirt.
The more white spirit, the cleaner the color.
I found it is not worth to use those expensive hobby weathering products unless you are looking for an specific color.

Another example of the wood look here, make sure to click on the pics to check the wood grain:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/202 ... s-bridges/
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
stu_the_flat
Lance Corporal

Post by stu_the_flat »

Thank you for that, it is really inspiring. on thing I am enjoying about this project is other than the figures, it is costing naff all to build. on that subject I was running out of wood however it was the day after fireworks day and my local park was looking a bit of a mess when I was walking the dog. then I thought that the wood sticks that the rockets use would be perfect for this build! so if you are wondering how I achieved that random burnt effect on some of the broads now you know! :)

Really happy with how my first figure turned out. I I really like the pose and the pipe, I've got 2v orange LEDs so I am wondering about trying to get one to look like his pipe but I don't have any resistors to step 3v down to 2v. I've also "accidently" bought a second figure. so I am going to have to make some space for him. I am not looking forward to paintiong them, my modeling skills are questionable at best and I really don't want to paint them so I have cross-eyed watchmen!
Attachments
A&JWeFeet-1002.jpg
A&JWeFeet-1002.jpg (211.75 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
A&JWeFeet-1001.jpg
A&JWeFeet-1001.jpg (203.7 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
A&JWeFeet-1003.jpg
A&JWeFeet-1003.jpg (265.03 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

absolutely great looking.

I liked it how you use scrap things and turn it into some great looking battlefield stuff!
Regards,
Jaap :wave:

Return to “Battlefield Buildings”