Mongrel tiger 323, curly whirly

tomhugill
Captain

Mongrel tiger 323, curly whirly

Post by tomhugill »

Hey folks,

Yet another build, well more of a paint an weather. This tiger was one I got off our old club president years and years ago, did a load of electronics work (servo elevation and recoil, new rotation, hidden battle system, control board and speaker) and ended up selling. By quirk of fate I wound up with it returning to me. The original base paint job was too nice to obliterate but left me with a quandary how to improve on what I had. Being an early tiger there were myriad different schemes, I wanted to try and get away from the easy option of tri colour camo but I struggled to find two colour camo schemes I really liked, until something at the back of my mind resolved so I could track it down. The was a really nicely done model with a curly two colour camo. It turned out this was a real scheme which David Parker had covered in a book detailing the build of a static 1/16 tamiya. I've played a little fast and loose with the details, 323 had exhaust shrouds and front mud guards but I figured mine was close enough.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Mongrel tiger 323, curly whirly

Post by Jimster »

I like it! How about a video?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Jimster wrote:I like it! How about a video?
My wish is your command

phpBB [video]
Shotek
Private

Post by Shotek »

Nice cat, well done!
:thumbup:
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Look great and sounds great :thumbup:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Very nice sound and driving. Thanks for the video.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

So the camo pattern necessitated doing something I've not done since my first tank, a hairy stick to apply anything that that isn't weathering. It worked well, the tamiya dark green brushed on well. I fortunately when I got it into natural light it was an unfortunately bright green!

I tried a different tack and tried one of my ammo greens, curses, too dark. Finally mixing the two 50/50 gotme the Goldilocks shade!ImageImageImageImage

tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Once all the camo had been repainted the next stage was to apply markings. No one makes the correct ones for 323, however I persuaded my partner to make some masked usings transfer tape and her cricut joy. These came out really well. I'm not sure how it would get on with really small intricate things but for the crosses and numbers I think it did ok.

Next bit was post shading. This is usually a technique I avoid as I find modulation much easier to control. However as I didn't have a match for the base colour so I couldn't do the modulation first. I think it's come out ok, but the results will be paired back with the rest of the weathering and mud.

Still much to do but I'm pleased with the results so farImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That’s a mighty fine Tiger!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Looks good. Funny my woman also has a Cricket printer, but hasn't really used it yet.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “Tiger I”