New to forum and RC Tanks

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
KC66
Recruit

New to forum and RC Tanks

Post by KC66 »

Somerset, UK based and just started searching for my first tank, it’s been an itch for a number of years that needs to be scratched. Not a modeller in any great fashion although I’ve always been practical and hands on with work and cars etc. My main hobby is sea kayaking so I have varied interests.

Currently researching my first tank, having a tendency towards UK tanks from the modern era. Stock levels are helping curtail my natural urge to jump in and ensuring I do more research. Of course I would like Tamiya but as for many initial outlay is a commitment that I’m questioning at this stage. At the other end Heng Long look okay but finding a pro model with all the metal bits is harder and then the price is closer to Torro so start thinking about those!! Decisions, decisions………., time will tell. :D

Thanks for letting me join, I’ve already been reading the forum previously and appreciate all the contributions. Afraid I won’t be able to contribute anything useful in terms of model experience or tank knowledge, but if you need help selecting a sea kayak I’d be more than happy to assist ;D
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: New to forum and RC Tanks

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"Afraid I won’t be able to contribute anything useful in terms of model experience or tank knowledge." Wanna bet? I have been at these RC tanks for over 20 years, but I still learn from questions people ask, so there is a good chance that a question you ask will teach me something.

OK: what's the difference between a "sea kayak" and one I might (have) used on an inland lake?

Now as to modern British tanks, I suggest not going too cheaply, but not necessarily going to the most expensive. Despite their overall fine quality, Tamiya tanks are not as up-to-date on electronics as some of the ready-made ones. I prefer the Torro tanks (sold also as Taigen here in the US and elsewhere) because of the sound system, as HengLong has only one WWII tank sound. I understand, though, that HengLong can be a bit better for modern sounds, and the steering and low-speed control may be a bit better. (I haven't bought a HengLong for years, but I will soon find out myself. :D )

Since you are in the UK, your most local seller, Forgebear, is a favorite among RCTW folks. Unfortunately, the Challenger seems to be out of stock now, as you might already know. You might also consider Andrew Haya's Chieftain: https://www.hayaltd.co.uk/Haya_CHIEFTAI ... 80795.aspx.

I am across the puddle, so for me shipping is always a great factor. I understand that for those in the UK, shipping even from the continent can be expensive, though I don't understand quite why. Here are three sellers whom I have used over the years and found everything AOK, even when the shipping boxes were used by the shippers for football matches. :wtf:

Licmas, one of my favorites: https://heng-long-panzer.de/de/RC-Panze ... ition.html

RCTank.de: https://www.rctank.de/Heng-Long-Challen ... 0S-Platine

Certainly there are more possibilities, and others will likely jump in with advice from closer to home for you.

Join the fun: it's only money. :haha:
KC66
Recruit

Post by KC66 »

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, I will definitely look into those.

Happy to answer your kayak question if you’d like?! Although I’d need to know more about it as it could have been a sea kayak being used on a lake ;D
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Hello and Welcome from the West Coast of Scotland. Have you looked at the Argyll sea Kayak trail?
Myself I bought the basic Heng Long Challenger 2 and upgraded from there, as the metal tracks are solid metal without the rubber pads, I did the same with the Abrams, but there I bought with the metal track and wheels, which I ended up replacing anyway.
Hopefully next year I will build a sea kayak, as I found a kit that goes together like a Mirror Dingy.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Welcome aboard from the USA. I bought a cheap Heng Long Tiger and spent most money on electronics and radio. Good luck and have fun with your future project.
KC66
Recruit

Post by KC66 »

Meter rat wrote:Hello and Welcome from the West Coast of Scotland. Have you looked at the Argyll sea Kayak trail?
Myself I bought the basic Heng Long Challenger 2 and upgraded from there, as the metal tracks are solid metal without the rubber pads, I did the same with the Abrams, but there I bought with the metal track and wheels, which I ended up replacing anyway.
Hopefully next year I will build a sea kayak, as I found a kit that goes together like a Mirror Dingy.
Hi, thanks for your comments. I have paddled parts of Scotland on a few occasions, mainly around Mull and the Outer Hebrides, there is loads more I would like to explore.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
If you want a British post war Tank you could try the Centurion this is sold as a kit by both Tamiya and Haya and as an RTR again from Haya and Tongde,
The most expensive is Tamiyas then Haya ( If you dont know it is a Welsh based company) then Tongde (A new kid on the block) Hayas kit comes without a control board which allows you to fit the board of your choice, Hayas RTR comes with a CLARK Board,
I bought a Haya RTR Centurion for £500 And it is really nice and there are a lot of upgrades available from Haya to turn it into all number of variants,
I also bought the Tongde Centurion which I bought from Dave at www.forgebeartanks.com for about half the price of the Cent I bought from Haya, It feels a bit flimsier and its control board appears to be a Heng Long 7.1 which is a very nice version, overall its a quality model and very good value.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

jarndice wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:08 am Hi, Welcome to the Forum :thumbup: :wave: :clap:
Shaun, I thought you had your eyes sorted :think:

This thread is from September LAST year, the last post was from a spam bot that's about to be eliminated lol.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”