Herr Doc's Famo

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Herr Doc's Famo

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

:haha: About that time, the true modelers here on RCTW will be picking my build apart. :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

UPDATE and more CHALLENGES

In the first week of October, using the SGS #258208 TVC-TRF05 HT8: Famo MFU and the Multiplex Smart SX9 Flexx transmitter and receiver that come with it, I had all the FAMO functions working. I had tested and tested each function at every step of assembly. So with great care, I mounted the MFU on a platform between the frame rails, tucked the receiver in away from the MFU, and did some "wire management" with wire ties. I was ready to put the 4 ohm speaker in its place behind the grill and the battery at the back of the engine bay. In fine. Then I went to Scotland for two weeks.

Now that I'm back, none of the FAMO functions works. !!! :'( :O I checked the battery voltage, continuity of connections, etc., etc., etc. Suspecting that the Multiplex transmitter was no longer binding to the Multiplex receiver that came with it, I tried re-binding them. Nothing doing! Not even a light on the receiver.

For comparison, I dug out my little "Jeep" that I had set up last winter with the Flysky FS-i6X transmitter and FX-i6. It ran when parked, but nothing doing now! So I re-bound the Flysky transmitter and the receiver in the Jeep and all works fine. Apparently, a transmitter and receiver can come unbound just sitting with no batteries in either and no other use in the intervening time.

Now I want to try using my preferred Flysky FS-i6X transmitter and FX-i6B receiver to run the FAMO's SGS #258208 TVC-TRF05 HT8. I shall persevere! (Or I shall go nuts with frustration. :crazy: )
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:13 am UPDATE and more CHALLENGES
I shall persevere! (Or I shall go nuts with frustration. :crazy: )
2 steps forward, 1 step back. 3 steps forward, ooops I stepped in dog5h1t...

I have confidence you will persevere.

Is this guy gonna count as your winter forum build?
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Oh, no, HerrKoch :P , I have in mind a different build for the winter gang, and, in fact, I have already bought a few more books toward that end. I will reveal my build idea (pretty modest) on November 1st with all the others. For over a year now, on and off (mostly on) this FAMO has been challenging me with a complete electronics set up, making up for deficiencies in the basic kit, and a tiny touch of scratch building--a bit more scratch than Bon Ami, but not too much.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

My posting of Monday, October 23 explained that the electronics I am using in this FAMO build (SGS #258208 TVC-TRF05 HT8: Famo MFU and Multiplex Smart SX9 Flexx transmitter and receiver) suddenly and inexplicably are not working, the problem arising when the FAMO and transmitter were stored for two weeks without any battery while I was traveling. Yesterday I tested and tested and tested, using both the Multiplex transmitter and my FlySky transmitter. I also tested the transmitters on other vehicles to make sure they were functioning. The transmitters and their receivers both function fine. The steering on the FAMO functions fine with either transmitter/receiver combination when I power and test it with a separate battery and ESC. I believe I have whittled down to two possible malfunctions. #1 is the connector pictured below. #2 is the SGS MFU itself. The connector, #1, may not be making clean contact with its female half inside the MFU.

To continue chasing down the problem, I need to identify the connector. What is it? Does anyone know where in North America I can get a replacement?
Mystery connector 1.jpg
Mystery connector 1.jpg (214.73 KiB) Viewed 47102 times
Attachments
Mystery connector 2.jpg
Mystery connector 2.jpg (200.08 KiB) Viewed 47102 times
Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Post by Conan_the_Hungarian »

Dear Herr Doctor Professor, the item you have pictured in your post is a Molex "Pluggable Terminal Blocks 3.81MM EURO PLUG RA URO PLUG RA GRN 2CKT". It is most likely not the cause of your problem. However, just in case, here is a link to an American supplier for that item: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mo ... rxwjJ6o%3D

Here is the exact Manufacturer ID if you wish to search for it in Europe: Molex 39510-5002

Cheers,

John Sherry, II, M.D.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Dr. Sherry:

That is exactly and all the information I needed! Thank you! I had searched to identify exactly the type of "screw terminal," but as you probably know well, there are quite a number of such connectors of varying designs. I agree that the connector is not likely the problem, but after much and varied testing, I know that the alternative is a whole new multi-function unit. I am grateful for your helpful reply.

Ed

And added on: I just order ten of the connectors. They came promptly, but were to no avail. The MFU seems to be dead.
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

With what little modeling time I have enjoyed over the past few weeks (poor me, all the fun things going on, I just don't have enough time. :'( ;) ) I jumped over to work on my M26 D-Day build. However, it's clear now (see above) that the MFU I bought for the FAMO kaput ist. I could try the somewhat mysterious electronics supplied by Asiatam with the kit. I also have an Elmod Eco:
Elmod Fusion & Turnigy.jpg
Elmod Fusion & Turnigy.jpg (357.23 KiB) Viewed 47003 times
I do have a six-channel FlySky and compatible receivers. Would there be a way to program the Elmod to coordinate front wheel steering and differential track speed?
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Last edited by modler on Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

I looked at the Kaput SGS board under some magnification because I suspected that the power input part was cracked somehow. I could not see a thing wrong, nor could I see any cracks in the board elsewhere. Just this past week, I sent the Elmod Eco shown in the photo of 17 November, as well as a Clark board and one more--boards I bought rummage years ago--to a UK wizard who is a regular here on RCTW. I have another SGS board ordered from Germany. The advantage of the SGS board is that it is specifically for the FAMO. So now I am just waiting for the new SGS board (I suspect that they are made-to-order). When it arrives, I am all set up to put it in, check it, and jump to detailing the FAMO.

Return to “Other Builds”