Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 >RRC

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 model

Post by modler »

jimbo_wa wrote:Have you any further updates with this, would be great to see its progress?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I was waiting for a response before going the next step. It is much more enjoyable to build something like this with other enthusiasts input and remarks.

Also I want this one to be as good as it can be and as of this winter, I think my skills are up to the task. I have recently done 2 model builds using the stock plastic front end parts without modification to include proportional steering using a very small servo.
Attachments
Steering upgrade on the Benz will look something like this.
Steering upgrade on the Benz will look something like this.
This one got some steel axles because it is a Tractor Trailer.
This one got some steel axles because it is a Tractor Trailer.
IMG_3799.JPG (96.87 KiB) Viewed 4520 times
This is a stock plastic front end suspension system from a model that has "movable lock position steering" used in motorized scale models like this one and the Mercedes Benz of this thread.
This is a stock plastic front end suspension system from a model that has "movable lock position steering" used in motorized scale models like this one and the Mercedes Benz of this thread.
Last edited by modler on Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.Ellis
Private

Post by C.Ellis »

You sir are a master of small scale RC vehicles. I am following your builds with interest and can't wait to see the next installments. I will be limited in my space this year, so I'm planing on making the move to 1:35 scale RC. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain occasionally or borrow some of your ideas. :D
Keep up the interesting builds, the variety of models you chose to make provides great contrast to the usual subjects on this forum. :thumbup:
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

C.Ellis wrote:You sir are a master of small scale RC vehicles. I am following your builds with interest and can't wait to see the next installments. I will be limited in my space this year, so I'm planing on making the move to 1:35 scale RC. I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain occasionally or borrow some of your ideas. :D
Keep up the interesting builds, the variety of models you chose to make provides great contrast to the usual subjects on this forum. :thumbup:
Greetings C.Ellis of Australia :D

Thank you for letting me know that my efforts here are appreciated :thumbup: I also have limited space for models due to my model hoarding so 1/35 is a logical choice for scale for me. I like the larger scale models too but they take up the space of ~6 1/35 scale models so the ratio of 6 to 1 is in my favor of obsession lol.

Yes I am happy to provide contrast here as is my intention. Lately I have been trying to come up with a low cost solution to the Tamiya metal dual motor gearbox for some of my non motorized models and so far nothing even comes close and I have spent a lot of time in failed gearbox experiments but now ready to switch gears (see what I did there) back to model kit RRC conversions. I have a few Tank kits ahead of the Der Führer Benz as I have decided to bust out my stash of motorized remote control Tamiya tanks and now in the process of building 4 simultaneously on the bench at this time, T-34, Centurion Mk III, M41 Bulldog, M1551 Sheridan. After these are at a certain point, I will start the Benz build.
Attachments
There is the king of my 1/35th military model collection
There is the king of my 1/35th military model collection
IMG_4240.JPG (84.84 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
chassis are built up then the task of adding a dual gearbox starts..
chassis are built up then the task of adding a dual gearbox starts..
IMG_4239.JPG (89.2 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
My wife recently allocated this space to me for more models!
My wife recently allocated this space to me for more models!
I am sizing each model for a gearbox in the first steps of conversion. Considering converting single engine gearboxes to dual, also checking what gearbox fits what Tank as some are interchangeable. Limited number of gearboxes available so only the best models will be converted at this point also looking for a low cost gearbox replacement solution.
I am sizing each model for a gearbox in the first steps of conversion. Considering converting single engine gearboxes to dual, also checking what gearbox fits what Tank as some are interchangeable. Limited number of gearboxes available so only the best models will be converted at this point also looking for a low cost gearbox replacement solution.
The model workbench is in full production with 5 models being prepped for Radio Remote Control
The model workbench is in full production with 5 models being prepped for Radio Remote Control
Last edited by modler on Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 model kit

Post by modler »

jimbo_wa wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:17 pm Have you any further updates with this, would be great to see its progress?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, right after posting this topic, lots of things started to happen and the wife and I decided it was time to move from our waterfront Conda and sell most of our properties and move somewhere else and and I am just now settling back into a routine that allows me to post things here at this interesting site. I just got to see the model again yesterday after it was unpacked. What a awesome model this thing is!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Mercedes Benz TyP.G4 W31 S.gl. Pkw motorized 1/35 >RRC

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Did I understand correctly: because of the sales and move, your Mercedes Beast is not yet RC? Some years ago, I did think about the one in 1/18 scale, but in some rare moments of restraint, passed it by. Now I am interested to see this build of yours.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:55 am Did I understand correctly: because of the sales and move, your Mercedes Beast is not yet RC? Some years ago, I did think about the one in 1/18 scale, but in some rare moments of restraint, passed it by. Now I am interested to see this build of yours.
Guten Morgen Herr doctor, Correct. A lot of my models were packed away and my workshop was dismantled :'( Now everything is finally back in place so I could start a serious model build. I am thinking that I will buy another one that I see on ebay and practice on that one before I do anything with this super rare and desirable model. This model could be worth $1000 or more on ebay as a "sealed new in the box" model. The one I have is 1 of 2 that I have ever seen that are unused. What makes this model so valuable is the main figure that is present in the model as a passenger. I really don't think that particular "figure" will be molded again anytime soon :think: As a kid, I had scale models of Frankenstein, Mummy, Werewolf,Creature from the black lagoon and such. Never did I dream I would one day own a model that included the most infamous person of modern time! It is like owning a model with the greatest monster of them all @) I have come to realise that this is a very special model and is the KING of my collection. You could say it is the Holy Grail of military models :O

I think I will get one of those ones on ebay that are not quite as special and build one of those up and think about whether or not I want to open the very special one I have. It has remained unopened for 48 years (1975)...Oh look, the third one below has a little rainbow in the ad below as well :crazy:

I do not recommend any of the models below. Especially the one from Ukraine ICM. All three have plastic tires.
Attachments
Oh? what's this? Looks like it has an interesting passenger. OOPs I did it again (mine) $15.00
Oh? what's this? Looks like it has an interesting passenger. OOPs I did it again (mine) $15.00
IMG_0378.jpg (573.71 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
one like this looks good for a motorized conversion..This is a decal kit for the dash.<br />OOPs I did it again (mine)  $10.49
one like this looks good for a motorized conversion..This is a decal kit for the dash.
OOPs I did it again (mine) $10.49
IMG_0383.jpg (832.57 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Well, this would be a good practice build model. It is not white plastic, There is no infamous leader, The correct symbols on the fender are gone and replaced with generic Maltese cross, and it is not motorised. PLASTIC TIRES NOT A FAN at this price.
Well, this would be a good practice build model. It is not white plastic, There is no infamous leader, The correct symbols on the fender are gone and replaced with generic Maltese cross, and it is not motorised. PLASTIC TIRES NOT A FAN at this price.
IMG_0373.JPG (1.5 MiB) Viewed 3091 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

For those who are curious, I found this on https://archive.armorama.com/features/6307/index.htm

Mercedes Benz G4 (W31) produced 1933-39
automatic transmission lock on off-road only
hydraulic brakes
three rigid axles suspension
estimated units produced..varying widely...most common number 57.

Dimensions:
Weight: 3550 kg (curb weight!)
Size: 5.72 m length, 1.87 m width, 1.90 m height
Wheelbase: 1.62 m – front wheels, 1.57 m – rear wheels
Track width: 1.57 m front / 1.57 m rear

Engine:

There were three different engines installed in G4s between 1933 and 1939, gradually improving. The following data are for the last one, introduced in 1938:
Engine type: line 8
Power: 115 HP @ 3400 rpm
Torque: 185 Nm @ 1400 rpm
Displacement: 5.4 l
Compression: 5.6:1
Bore: 88 mm x 108 mm

Gearbox and transmission:
ZF Aphon, manual, 4 gears
AWD asyncronic transmission

A book that might be of interest to some:
Sanchez, Luis Miguel. Mercedes Benz Type G4 (W31): The Ultimate Study. Andrea Press, 2016. ISBN: ‎978-8496658585.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Well, I was not able to bring myself to opening the sealed 1/35 W31 Benz just yet so I ordered a 1/72 scale W31 Benz and will play with that for awhile but I get it and it is in a SEALED BOX! Oh, what to do now?

Model was manufactured by Hasegawa in Shizuoka Japan. This model kit was first released in 1976. After doing some checking found out this one is a original 1976 release kit.

Research shows that this kit has 3 brass axles. The vehicle has 4 passengers and a driver.

Looks like I got another one that should be left sealed but we will see.

THIS IS A 1/72 SCALE KIT. This is one of two known models that has a "infamous Leader" as a passenger. That is the thing that interests me as a model collector, not so much the car itself in any scale. Although as far as model cars go, this one is the most interesting that I know of. Maybe it's those 3 axles :think:
Attachments
You can see from this chart (brown left panel) that this is the 1976 original release kit.
You can see from this chart (brown left panel) that this is the 1976 original release kit.
IMG_0535.JPG (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2139 times
IMG_0532.jpg
IMG_0532.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 2139 times
Inspection tag intact.
Inspection tag intact.
IMG_0529.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 2139 times
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 2139 times
Looks like this was $2.98 at one time.
Looks like this was $2.98 at one time.
IMG_0527.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2139 times
These are known as HQ models from Japan