RC switches

Talk about all other types of electronics here, such as batteries!
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

RC switches

Post by grim_marmazet »

Hi guys,
I need a bit of electronics advice. I need an RC switch that will let me switch between two different devices using the Tx. I'll explain a bit more;

I basically want to be able to switch between the hull MG and the Co-Axial MG using a switch on my Transmitter. I've seen switches that swap between on and off, but not ones to let you swap between different circuits.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this, or where I could get the switch. Electronics isnt really my strong suit.

Cheers,
Rik
BigPanzer
Lance Corporal

Re: RC switches

Post by BigPanzer »

Hi Rik,

If you have a spare non proportional channel available it is easy, but you will need basic soldering skills. You will need a small servo and a small micro switch. Glue the switch to the side of the servo in a position where the servo arm operates the switch when it swings.

The micro switch should have 3 terminals, marked common, normally open, normally closed. Wire the common to the lead that feeds your current led. Take the n.o. terminal on the switch to one of the leds, the n.c. terminal to the other led.

The second wire going to your current led needs to have a new bit of wire spliced into it. This is connected to the remaining leg of the new led. It does not need any connection to the switch.

Note that led's are polarity concious - if you wire the new led in the wrong way round it won't work, though you won't damage it.
All leds have a long wire and a shorter one to mark the polarity when they are new, but the maker of your tank has probably cut them off short. If you can hold the existing led up to the light you might be able to see inside it and you will see that there is a big bit and a smaller bit. If you can see which bit is connected to which wire, then connect your new led in the same way round. If you can't see which wire goes to which bit, then the easiest way is trial and error.
It doesn't matter which wire you interrupt to fit the switch.
Whatever you do, DON'T try connecting your new led directly across a battery to see if it lights up. Doing this will destroy it instantly.

If you don't have the spare non-prop channel available, sorry but you are knackered.

Peter
grim_marmazet
Staff Sergeant

Post by grim_marmazet »

Thanks for the explanation Peter, I should be able to work it up now. Just need to pick up the relevant parts.
Cheers again,
Rik
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

Check this little Gizmo out may be an answer http://www.technobots.co.uk/acatalog/Sh ... r_644.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Other electronics”