M1128 Stryker 1/67 Upgrade to Hobby Grade R\C

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: M1128 Stryker MGS 1/67 scale to Hobby Grade RC

Post by modler »

I have a new Ultra Micro 5 channel Radio setup with worlds smallest dual ESC ready for install into something small. The Stryker @ 1:67 scale looks like a good candidate :)

I am going to do something different here with the steering. I am going to connect one of the ESC's to run the existing escapement actuated steering. This will make the upgrade much simpler as no servo needs to be added. This will be the second one I have done like this and it does give proportional steering like a servo but maybe not as precise with respect to return to neutral (straight ahead) position but certainly adequate for a scale model. The videos below will show how well this steering system works. This steering mod can be used in most any escapement type servoe found in most toys. Frankly I am surprised that toy manufacturers don't use this technique for a low cost proportional steering solution in toy grade models. :think:
Attachments
These were $15 on ebay a few years back.  Fun little machine to blast around with as it is fast and stears well in its stock form. Throttle has 2 speeds. I keep any radio system like this for use in other models and or to put back in should I want the model back to stock form.
These were $15 on ebay a few years back. Fun little machine to blast around with as it is fast and stears well in its stock form. Throttle has 2 speeds. I keep any radio system like this for use in other models and or to put back in should I want the model back to stock form.
IMG_0672.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 42085 times
The original TG radio system works very well but is not HG with proportional control on all channels
The original TG radio system works very well but is not HG with proportional control on all channels
IMG_0673.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 42085 times
Coreless motors for drive wheels and steering. 1.25 connectors added. I will also be connecting the headlights to a channel so this will be 3 channels
Coreless motors for drive wheels and steering. 1.25 connectors added. I will also be connecting the headlights to a channel so this will be 3 channels
IMG_0674.JPG (1.61 MiB) Viewed 42085 times
This Stryker is pretty small @ 1:67 scale
This Stryker is pretty small @ 1:67 scale
IMG_0678.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 42085 times
Ready to run with proportional throttle and steering with on\off headlights. Power supply 100 mAh 1 cell lipo.
Ready to run with proportional throttle and steering with on\off headlights. Power supply 100 mAh 1 cell lipo.
IMG_0679.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 42085 times
Last edited by modler on Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:50 am, edited 5 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: M1128 Stryker MGS 1/67 RRC with Lithium Ion battery

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: M1128 Stryker MGS 1/67 Upgrade to Hobby Grade R\C

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I'll bet you are like my co-author of farm toy articles: you probably haunt the toy isles of all kinds of big box stores, just digging around for little goodies.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:35 pm I'll bet you are like my co-author of farm toy articles: you probably haunt the toy isles of all kinds of big box stores, just digging around for little goodies.
Yes I have been known to do that some years ago...Well wait a minute, I think I did that today at the drugstore :O These days (mostly) I do it online lol 8)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ah, yes, in drug stores the round, white shelves displaying little toy cars and trucks—rarely actually 1/48 to 1/43 for my train layout. But c’on you all here on RCTW: ‘fess up—you check ‘em, too.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ok have done some testing on my indoor "mini track" and the M1128 is turning out to be one of my best retrofit r\c vehicles.

I added a few more degrees of steering by grinding out some "excess material" around the steering mechanism limit stops and now it is just right. I also put a 470 ohm resistor in the LED headlight system as it was starting to flicker which indicates excessive voltage. The small white headlight LEDs are hard to find so this mod will ensure long life span of the lights.

M1128 does the bridge run
https://youtu.be/CpplHL2ceu0

M1128 on the test track doing some fast runs.
https://youtu.be/xsE2CwhTJzw
Attachments
Here is what these things look like new.
Here is what these things look like new.
IMG_0750.jpg (2.04 MiB) Viewed 36883 times
These small r\c models just give more variety to the r\c experience.
These small r\c models just give more variety to the r\c experience.
IMG_0732.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
This M1128 model runs better than expected in Hobby Grade form.
This M1128 model runs better than expected in Hobby Grade form.
IMG_0720.jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
Headlights started to flicker so added 470 ohm resistor. They are not as bright as in this picture now.
Headlights started to flicker so added 470 ohm resistor. They are not as bright as in this picture now.
IMG_0727.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
I am beginning to wonder what is the actual scale of this M1128 Stryker..Next to a 1/35 Hanomag.
I am beginning to wonder what is the actual scale of this M1128 Stryker..Next to a 1/35 Hanomag.
IMG_0726.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
This is the external Lipo mount. I am using it to size the optimal Lipo size.
This is the external Lipo mount. I am using it to size the optimal Lipo size.
IMG_0722.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
Side view of external mount.
Side view of external mount.
IMG_0721.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
On\off switch added for internal Lipo when installed. When internal Lipo used, the external 1.25 mm Lipo connector becomes the charge port for the internal lipo.
On\off switch added for internal Lipo when installed. When internal Lipo used, the external 1.25 mm Lipo connector becomes the charge port for the internal lipo.
IMG_0731.jpg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
DSMX with Telemetry. Signal strength at the receiver upper left. Throttle run time standard feature.
DSMX with Telemetry. Signal strength at the receiver upper left. Throttle run time standard feature.
IMG_0725.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
Signal strength, Lipo MIN MAX values.
Signal strength, Lipo MIN MAX values.
IMG_0724.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 41301 times
Receiver voltage, signal strength,run time, noise level db ratio.
Receiver voltage, signal strength,run time, noise level db ratio.
IMG_0723.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 41301 times

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”