1/16 wing nuts ?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

1/16 wing nuts ?

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Afternoon all,

I'm looking for some wing nuts, I don't mind if they are brass or plastic, any idea who stocks these,

Cheers, Lee
uploadfromtaptalk1456674739713.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456674739713.jpg (17.39 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
uploadfromtaptalk1456674729302.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1456674729302.jpg (39.85 KiB) Viewed 1543 times
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: 1/16 wing nuts ?

Post by silversurfer1947 »

The strip of 6 brass nuts on the rhs of photo 2 look like Schumo ones. Normally available from http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de/kata ... ::492.html

Currently showing out of stock, with no sensible date for new stock coming in.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks Richard, I looked at their site but couldn't even find them on there so you got one step further than I :) not sure where else to look really :(

Cheers , Lee.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Lee Hi, the two main suppliers of Metal wing nuts in -1/16/ - 1mm - is SCHUMO and MITOSAL,
Neither of these wing/butterfly nuts actually work. they are pressed out to resemble the real thing, to get them "Working" you need a tap and die set with a 1mm die to chase the imitation thread making it able to work.
(The wing/butterfly nut will not turn on the thread rather the whole thing does but it is a good alternative),
The next size up (3mm) is exactly the same but is big enough to allow you to snip the top and tail thread so that you can file flat the area on top and under the wing/butterfly nut, You can then by using a pin vise with a 1.2mm bit drill a pilot followed by a 1.6 bit then using lots of thin oil you can tap a 2 mm thread through the wing/butterfly nut and you now have a working unit,
I did this to make working air filter intake pipe clamps on a Tiger1, It was a lot easier than it sounds and it sure looks good.
http://www.axels-modellbau-shop.de
are a good source for SCHUMO products and
http://www.mitosal.com
sell in my opinion the better value product. I hope that helps.
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

I will have to testify...the 2nd Leftenant is on the ball with this subject....has pretty much scoured the internet for those things :D
Listen to him and you really won't go wrong :thumbup:

ALPHA
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for the replies fella's they are very much appreciated :thumbup: I'm not to bothered about them working to be honest shaun, they are just for a bit of detailing so I would be happy with any I could find, I have had a quick look for the schumo ones on the 1st site you mentioned but they are out of stock :( I shall have a little look at the other site to see if I have more luck,

Cheers, Lee.
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Hello Lee , those grey plastic ones in the photo look like ' Grandt line ' products B| http://www.grandtline.com/products/mrr/ ... ables.html Blimp.
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Lee when you get to the MITOSAL site you need to click on "CATALOGUE" to find the Wing/Butterfly nuts and they only sell two sizes 1mm and 3mm for general use around a 1/16 Tank I would suggest 1mm and do bear in mind that a Tiger 1 had a total of 25/30 wing nuts,
Shaun.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
cmryanuk
Lance Corporal

Post by cmryanuk »

Any update on this? Desperately seeking wingnuts!
Tanks: HL Tiger1 (early, 131), Tamiya Tiger 1 (mid) SS Abt.101 334, HL Snow Leopard
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

cmryanuk wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:42 pm Any update on this? Desperately seeking wingnuts!
Know anyone with a 3D printer?
Derek
Too many project builds to list...

Return to “General Questions”