Starting out my first tank

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Spartan tracks
Staff Sergeant

Starting out my first tank

Post by Spartan tracks »

Ok a few questions,first of all I have a airbrush ,do you need to prime the tank with these special primers or can you go straight in and start you first light undercoat late 1944 German. Any help with my first tank would be great,ps it's all stripped down ready, Cheers Andy
Jagdpanther 1/6 1st SS
Torro Sturmtiger Clark TK60
Torro Jagdtiger Elmod Pro
Torro Panther G Clark TK60
Torro Panther F Clark TK60
Taigen Tiger 1 Early .....
Torro Jagdpanther TK60
Hooben Elephant Elmod Pro
Torro Tiger 1 Late ...
Torro KIng Tiger .....
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: Starting out my first tank

Post by jackalope »

You don't NEED to primer it but it can help cover old camo up to provide a nice uniform base for your new colors to go on. Especially when you go from a dark color and the new paint is lighter then a primer really helps but even then it's not NEEDED.
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Starting out my first tank

Post by jarndice »

HI, First YES you really should use a primer on your tank but there is more to it than that,
If you have any metal surfaces on the area being painted you should use a Metal primer on that surface first, then spray over the whole Tank using an Acrylic primer.
Next I am a little puzzled when you refer to "SPECIAL" primers,
I buy my primers from car accessory stores,
I buy "SIMONIZ" spray paint (ACRYLIC) in a rattle can, 500ml for £4.99 which lasts for at least four 1/16 tanks ,
The only thing I change is the spray nozzle for one from a TAMIYA rattle can to ensure the feed is finer than that going on your 87 Mondeo or Chevelle!!!
For German armour 39/45 you need a red primer to conform to what was used by them.
shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Painting and Weathering”