Ferdinand and Elefant Tank Destroyer

Please post useful reference books that you may have here. Please give a short description with each link.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Ferdinand and Elefant Tank Destroyer

Post by PainlessWolf »

Scholar and a Gentleman there, Jack. Very much appreciated as always. ;o) Before I forget, still waiting on update photos of your 251 with Ludwig's front suspension, Doc.
regards,
Painless
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

PainlessWolf wrote:Scholar and a Gentleman there, Jack. Very much appreciated as always. ;o) Before I forget, still waiting on update photos of your 251with Ludwig's front suspension, Doc.
regards,
Painless
Haven't even had a chance to to start working on it. It's all packed up in a box waiting for my vacation which will be starting next week. I'm going to start it then. Sorry for the Ling delay.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jack,
No apologies needed my friend. Mine is sitting as well while I try to put together the _right_ parts to detail one of these bogies for the Stuart and still have it be maint. capable. Once done, duplicate x 3 more.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

ALPHA, you know you can get a 1/16 "Porsche Tiger":

http://www.asiatam.com/product_info.php ... -1-16.html

It shares the running gear with their all metal Elephant, which unfortunately is in very low quality.
hotte8487
Sergeant

Post by hotte8487 »

ALPHA wrote:
RobW wrote:What's the difference between the Ferdinand & Elefant? I thought they were the same vehicle?

Edit: Wiki to the rescue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elefant
They share the same hull Rob....the difference is how the layout of the upper fixtures are placed

ALPHA
The Ferdinand was the first edition - to recognize by the lack of a front MG. It was named after its designer - "Ferdinand" Porsche.
The battle at Kursk has shown some mistakes, so all the tanks were revised in Germany. The revised version was then called Elefant.

@ painless: a very interesting model - I will follow your report along...
Greeting Hotte

IG-Panzerjäger Berlin

HL Tiger I late (ElMod)
Torro Kingtiger (ElMod)
Tamiya Tiger I early (ElMod)
Tamiya Panther G (ElMod)

The thinking is allowed to all people, but many are spared. (Curt Goetz 1888-1960)
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:ALPHA, you know you can get a 1/16 "Porsche Tiger":

http://www.asiatam.com/product_info.php ... -1-16.html

It shares the running gear with their all metal Elephant, which unfortunately is in very low quality.
Thanks Michael...seen that one before on the what was it...think Tank Zone or something like that site....don't really like anything about that kit...so I've decided to do a Frankiestein style of build...it may not be totally accurate but it will be good enough for me :D
Have about 90% of the components I need...just need the time to get down to it ;)

Thanks again Michael :thumbup:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

hotte8487 wrote:
ALPHA wrote:
RobW wrote:What's the difference between the Ferdinand & Elefant? I thought they were the same vehicle?

Edit: Wiki to the rescue https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elefant
They share the same hull Rob....the difference is how the layout of the upper fixtures are placed

ALPHA
The Ferdinand was the first edition - to recognize by the lack of a front MG. It was named after its designer - "Ferdinand" Porsche.
The battle at Kursk has shown some mistakes, so all the tanks were revised in Germany. The revised version was then called Elefant.

:wave: Hey there Hotte :wave: Hoping all is going well for you and yours :thumbup:

ALPHA
hotte8487
Sergeant

Post by hotte8487 »

ALPHA wrote:
hotte8487 wrote:
ALPHA wrote: They share the same hull Rob....the difference is how the layout of the upper fixtures are placed

ALPHA

:wave: Hey there Hotte :wave: Hoping all is going well for you and yours :thumbup:

ALPHA
Hi Alpha,

thanks for asking - it's all fine here. :thumbup: I hope the same for you.
At the moment I've many things to do, four tanks in my basement waiting for updates. My Panther and my Tiger receive a new electronic - the new ElMod Fusion module. My Kingtiger and the Gepard of a friend are also still under construction. The Kingtiger report will soon go on, now in the right section - other builds.
Incidentally I write also our new website...
And I'm still a little bit sad about the death of Lemmy Kilmister - numerous concerts I've visited, the last on 11th december. But the life goes on... ;)
Greeting Hotte

IG-Panzerjäger Berlin

HL Tiger I late (ElMod)
Torro Kingtiger (ElMod)
Tamiya Tiger I early (ElMod)
Tamiya Panther G (ElMod)

The thinking is allowed to all people, but many are spared. (Curt Goetz 1888-1960)
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

hotte8487 wrote: Hi Alpha,

thanks for asking - it's all fine here. :thumbup: I hope the same for you.
At the moment I've many things to do, four tanks in my basement waiting for updates. My Panther and my Tiger receive a new electronic - the new ElMod Fusion module. My Kingtiger and the Gepard of a friend are also still under construction. The Kingtiger report will soon go on, now in the right section - other builds.
It's been a very busy beginning to the New Year here too Hotte....but so far so good ;) ...could always be better or worse...right now it's like riding the middle line :D
Glad to hear all is well there ...and your builds will be getting some attention...always enjoy your craftsmanship ...I have even recommended some of the new guys to read through your builds
Incidentally I write also our new website...
Website????...like facebook??
And I'm still a little bit sad about the death of Lemmy Kilmister - numerous concerts I've visited, the last on 11th december. But the life goes on... ;)
Yes indeed....and David Bowie before him....Interesting year for sure...but as you say...life does and will go on :thumbup:

Best Regards Hotte :wave:

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good afternoon,
I received my copy of 'German Heavy Anti-Tank Unit 653' in the mail today. It will be very useful along with the 'Ferdinand and Elefant' volume when I get around to doing either a Jagdtiger or Elefant. ;o)
regards,
Painless
Good stuff! Yeah, it covers quite a few tank destroyers along with the Ferdi/Elephant. It kinda put me off ever doing a Jagdtiger as it will need to be in a diorama with a crane and several 18 ton prime movers.

Return to “Reference Books”