Chieftain

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
Bogeyman
Corporal

Re: Chieftain

Post by Bogeyman »

Turret looks amazing Rob, its came a long way in a short time.

John
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

They are lifting lugs, but the other brackets...even Bovington don't know, and if they don't...who the heck does?...possibly for jack handles?
Dear Rob, The rearmost box that you refer to is the armoured box for the No 6 (later No 11) NBC pack, on top of which are the four circular lifting lug holes – these were internally threaded. However, as to the fittings on top of it, I have no real idea what these were added for, as they are a very late Chieftain modification. They are clearly there to act as stowage and carry something tubular…but therein lies a clue I think. If you wish to build a STANDARD Chieftain, then don’t include these fittings, as they are definitely NOT representative of early or mid-life marks, and may have been added at or around the time Stillbrew armour was fitted. You would need to check a late copy of the Stowage Diagram to see what the intention was (the only item I would hazard a guess at is the two-piece track adjustment ratchet handle, based on the diameter.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Post by mcevoyi »

Not sure if this helps ...in different regiments they quite often ..randomly welled square nuts to the surfaces ..and used them to screw in poles to hang camo nets off ..the clamps look lithe the pole size

A good and updated example is the worrier .? Has factory installed Nutts and short mount pola for the net hanger
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

According to the curator at Bovington, the four threaded lugs are for lifting, though as you say they may also have been used for camo poles. There are other brackets there that look like they clamp something down, but no one seems to know what they are or why they are there? They aren't on all Chieftains, and to complicate matters there are other square brackets, so maybe the 'other' brackets are for camo poles, the four standard ones are lifting mounts, and the inner mangled ones are for clamping something down, but as to what...the jury is out on that one??

I have put them all on mine with the exception of the centre ones, so it will be accurate as far as standard fitment is concerned. If I ever find out that the additional ones clamp something interesting down, I'll add them later.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
redlinemoto
Recruit

Post by redlinemoto »

QUICK THOUGHT MAYBE SOMETHINK TO DO WITH THE GUN /BREECHBLOCK COMING OUT THE BACK OF THE TURRET
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Why is there never a Chieftain mk10/11 commander around when you need one? :P
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Coming along, I got distracted a bit over the last couple of days so not a lot of progress....what looks like a simple construction is quite complex. The Tamiya kit can't be copied as it is wrong, they took the easy way out. The turret has to be installed on a level midway between the engine deck and the base line of the upper hull, but of course a rotation unit also has to be fitted. It's pretty much done. Then the fun starts on the mid to front section which is all slopes and curves. I am going more for the Mk10 lower hull, as I can upgrade the turret later if I want to.
Attachments
DSCN0890.JPG
DSCN0889.JPG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

This is
one brilliant build Rob! The turret you have made is bob on!
I was going to try and scratch build one of theres i even have the tamiya 1/35 kit to upscale but after ready your comments about it being wrong i will be putting it on ebay now lol
But at least i can sit back and watch your build ! :thumbup:
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

For anyone who wants to turn the Tamiya kit into an accurate model, there are a few upgrade resin kits out there, but here is a list ...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47209/me ... +Chieftain

The engine deck vents are also incorrect, the rear ones are slightly higher than the ones behind the turret.
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
The Tank Man
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Tank Man »

That turret is looking sweet Rob!
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Return to “Other Builds”