KT Weathering Disaster!!!

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Awins
Private

KT Weathering Disaster!!!

Post by Awins »

Help Please, Ive airbrushed my KT using Tamiya Acrylics with a decent matt finish. Im pleased with this given its my first time using an airbrush and completing my first model tank. Thought I would try to make a more realistic looking model by carrying out weathering using Vallejo Weathering Product Light Rust.
When applied to the paint its just seemed to be sucked into the surface and not flow like I expected. I tried to wash/ thin this out using a wet paint brush but it made matters much worse.
Since then I read that the matt painted surface should be 'varnished'!!!! in order for the weathering product to flow and be blended in. Surely a varnished surface will detract from the matt finish on my model and look wrong. Any help please guys.
I am not retreating, but simply advancing in another direction!!!
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Re: KT Weathering Disaster!!!

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Awins, did the same with my Abrams ! ended up having to repaint most of the tank. I well advised by several experienced forum members that after painting you apply MATT varnish before weathering which should prevent the absorption problem you experienced. As they say 'you pay to learn' and in my case the price was a tedious repaint. Hope you get it sorted. Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Yeah, it's usually a good idea to apply a satin varnish over the base layer of paint to help with the capillary action and not have the enamels or oils affect the paint below.

Use a satin varnish though, not a gloss. The gloss will be nearly impossible to totally get rid of and a matt on the first layer won't allow capiliary action to work. Gloss is also very heavy generally so you don't want many coats of it. Where as a satin actually gives a nice solid and metalised look and is much easier to get rid of should you want a matt finish later on. Apply the Matt finish as the very last coat though once you've finished your effects and weathering process though.

I would suggest respraying the affected area lightly to get the original colour back and then do a satin varnish. I use this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Vallejo-4 ... 1804342762 but I'd see if you can find it cheaper elsewhere. It's fantastic stuff and leaves a great finish. It's what I've used here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13664&p=141972#p141972

edit:
You can get an airbrush version of that varnish: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vallejo-Liqui ... 2c7bb8080a Never used it though but I assume it's the same but minus the propellant.
lister fiend
Sergeant

Post by lister fiend »

I feel your pain, did something similar to my first go.
Used model mates, which ate into the paint :O
The varnish is matt so is unnoticeable when dry.
I brush mine, which I think helps with streaking effects.
I'm sure it will get better on your next try.
Good luck
Lister
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Have you any pictures of the damage? I've never varnished between coats and never had an issue but it's something I'm keen to avoid this happening in the future!
Awins
Private

Post by Awins »

Sorry no pictures at this stage. Im rather lucky in that its only around the lower hull and wheel areas sk hopefully should be able to easily paint this out.
I am not retreating, but simply advancing in another direction!!!

Return to “Painting and Weathering”