HL decal removal

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: HL decal removal

Post by MrChef »

mrmetallica wrote:is that a problem :wtf:
Not for me.

And I appreciate you sharing your experience.

So Herr Dr. we can agree that at least the HL and Taigen markings are Transfers.

In my opinion the Taigen ones are better than the HL ones but still not as good as nice Decals or Painted Stencils.

And I would second as Painless Wolf shared already above. The way I would try to remove them would be with a hair dryer just be careful not to over heat the plastic it will warp and deform. UNLESS of course the Best method is stripping everything down to stock plastic sans decals/transfers, dirt and Any Paint layers.

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

mrmetallica wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:30 pm
Kaczor wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 5:24 pm Yes. Also mr mrmetallica replied to the three year old post ;)
is that a problem :wtf:
No, no problem, we just like to make fun, just in case you didn't realise ;)
Me, personally, I like to see older posts revitalised with different solutions to the same problem that may still be required.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:49 pm :think: Let me see if I can help a bit with terms, if only so I can figure out some of the methods.

Decal (Decalcomania), a printed marking applied by soaking in water and sliding in place onto the model.
Transfer - a printed marking applied by rubbing onto the model
Sticker - a marking applied by peeling it off a backing paper and sticking it on the model
Stencil - a marking cut into a paper or plastic sheet so that paint can be applied in the shape cut in the sheet (various brands available, but generally provided by Rad Schuhart :thumbup: )

My experience with HengLong is that they are transfers.
Did I get any of this right?
As an English boy-man I never became aware of the term "Decal" until my introduction to "Revell" kits, Before them their were water based transfers such as Peddinghaus then came stickers such as Heng Long/Taigen and always their were stencils, So I must disagree with you Doc on your description of the transfer,
It is to me the same as a Decal leaving the Sticker as a more accurate description of Heng Longs/Taigen glue backed markings.
Everytime someone when they describe the removal of a sticker they mention the need to remove the glue left behind on the surface,
There is no glue on a Transfer/Decal but there is on a sticker.
There is Applique markings where a particular marking is positioned than pressure is applied to the face of it to make it permanent.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

And here in the US we pronounce it DEE-cal...across the pond it's "deckel"...all one syllable. :)
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

mrmetallica wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:30 pm is that a problem :wtf:
It's not a problem as long as you are digging up old threads to add constructive comments and not just to increase the number of posts ;) Anyway, the author of the thread got an answer a few years ago.
mrmetallica
Private

Post by mrmetallica »

Kaczor wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:56 am
mrmetallica wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:30 pm is that a problem :wtf:
It's not a problem as long as you are digging up old threads to add constructive comments and not just to increase the number of posts ;) Anyway, the author of the thread got an answer a few years ago.
thats was what i was doing
Akron1933
Recruit

Post by Akron1933 »

Put the 4 number decal from the Heng Long sheet on my Tiger, (original paint) then about a month later, found out Tiger 1 tanks only had three numbers! Had not read this forum yet. I actually used my fingernail, and was able to carefully scrape off one number a tiny bit at a time! Left no residue, and did not mark the paint whatsoever.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

The HL markings were most definitely peel and stick abominations with a scale thickness of about 1/2". Gross. Do still issue those steaming piles with their tanks?
But hey, even some waterslide decals can be pretty thick and they need lots of microset/microsol to snuggle down on a surface irregularity.
I love dry transfers as they're thin and so long as they burnish on easily life is good. Some don't and I wonder if that's why waterslide decals are still the norm? Nothing like a kid crushing the wings on their Sopwith Snipe trying to get the @#$%& transfer to rub down to generate customer complaints.
Get even a primitive mastery of an airbrush (personally at Cromagnon level) and stencils rock! No pickin' off any extra numbers though!

Mike.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Water slide is the industry norm, dry rub media is getting extremely hard to source - pretty much a direct quote from the proprietor of Archer decals, prior to him shutting up shop.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I must be missing something: I have rarely used HengLong or Taigen markings, but all the ones I have from the past decade and more are dry transfers, not "stick on" types. :S :eh:

Return to “Tips and Tricks”