Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

KTRob
Lance Corporal

Re: Panzer IV Ausf F1 to H Build

Post by KTRob »

ALPHA wrote:
Merlin707 wrote:
ALPHA wrote:
Interesting thought Grasshopper....I had thought the same thing....but if those cans were filled with water instead of gas... they would serve as good projectile stoppers.... a bullet would almost ...and remember I say Almost...come to a dead stop ...maybe not even reach the other end of the can...
Water is a good bullet stopper ;) ....as is dirt which I am older than...and also what could be in those cans :D

ALPHA
Hi Alpha, yes indeed you would be correct for a standard rifle bullet fired from the ground, however when you take into account a .50cal round fired from a diving aircraft doing 270+ knots on a strafing run, those Jerry cans wouldn't even slow the bullet down even if filled with sand let alone water.

Just to put into context, a spitfire round could penetrate up to 5 inches of solid steel plate when fired at strafing run speed.

Because of the muzzle velocity + a/c speed + angle of attack the heat of the round would vaporise the water ahead of it until submerged to a depth of 4 feet. It is only after this depth that the round would either break up or lose any effective injuring characteristics.

This is why a lot of sailors at Pearl died once in the water and during the Normandy invasion on the landings when getting out of the landing craft because they thought they would be safe just under the water.

Just my military input two Penneth lol.
ImageImage ImageGood point Merlin...but filling them with water or dirt...is still better than having those babies sitting atop the turret like that with gas in them :O ....even if it's diesel.....having a barrier that will help stop bullets.. from any direction is better than none at all...or even worse....one that is flammable or explosive ImageImage

Diving into water is a 50% 50% deal.... if you can dive down enough and hold your breath there is a good chance you can dodge a bullet...most of the guys that died in the water were close to the surface...where the water has least resistance ....you ever shoot into water Merlin?....the bullet no matter what caliber will travel about three feet then drop totally to zero velocity ...reason ballistic testing tanks are less than six feet long ;)

With that said...a 20mm cannon like what some Japanese attack aircraft British Hawker Tempests had is a different story...mostly because that's not a bullet ImageImage...The guys in Tiger Tanks were afraid of those lol ;)

ALPHA

ps. no protection is ever 100%....I've seen guys get killed by a ricocheted frag ...so basically an indirect shot ...war is war...do you take cover or do you just stand out to be a target ? ;)
Hi Alpha,

Do you think my idea of the cans being used to refill the tanks after travelling from say a railhead to a dispersal area near the front is feasible? or would they have had fuel tankers for that?

Leaving them on empty would stop small rounds and shrapnel from grenades I would have thought? Maybe they fill the gap in the spaced armour at the front of the turret?

I have to do some research, I assume the Wehrmacht would have had a policy or regulations on the carrying of extra fuel.
You can never have too many tanks...... :D
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

If you find springs, let me know where and the dimensions...and for the retaining pins. You might try Asiatam for hinges. They have some small ones. That was one of the details I was just going to ignore. But, if you can make it work easily, I might revisit that choice. ;)

What is Perspex?
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Perspex is clear plastic
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you are after HINGES I buy mine from

http://www.miniatures.com

and I buy all manner of nuts and bolts and SPRINGS from

http://www.prime-miniatures.co.uk

These are both reputable dealers but the Dolls house people are a bit on the expensive side but a quality product. Both sites will reward you if you spend time looking at their respective ranges. :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

KTRob wrote: Hi Alpha,

Do you think my idea of the cans being used to refill the tanks after travelling from say a railhead to a dispersal area near the front is feasible? or would they have had fuel tankers for that?

Leaving them on empty would stop small rounds and shrapnel from grenades I would have thought? Maybe they fill the gap in the spaced armour at the front of the turret?

I have to do some research, I assume the Wehrmacht would have had a policy or regulations on the carrying of extra fuel.
A little difficult to speculate KT.....but for conversation purposes let's look at your photo again

it really doesn't look like they would hold fuel...just because how they are situated atop the turret....if they contained fuel...I don't think they would lay them down in that manner...as leakage could occur...spilling the fuel pretty much over the front of the tank...the ones behind the schurzen maybe...as they are upright

as far as feasibility goes...sure it's feasible ....not sure it would be all that logical for them to be empty though....they would be more dangerous empty...as each would be filled with more explosive "vapor"....a partially or empty with residual would be like having a bunch of molotov cocktails adorning your tank

Reason I theorize they are there to act like sandbags for added protection....who knows for sure though...because they do look pretty new no dents or dings...so the reason they are layed down like that could just be attributed to a young tank crew ...who don't know any better ...yet ;)

ALPHA
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

The wehrmacht had lots of policies which were ignored by the tank arm. For instance it was expressly forbidden to use tracks as spaced armour because it actually helped sub calibre rounds penetrate the main armour.

I would suspect they're carried for a road march from railhead to the muster. Theres pictures of other tanks doing pretty much the same thing. Notice they're also carried on the side behind the skirt. It's always possible it's not fuel they're carrying but lubricants or water.
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

Hi Alpha to answer your question yes I have shot into water.

A few times during my instructor duties for new loadmasters, the main times though was during exercises hanging out the side of a Chinook or CH53 with a GPMG or Mini Gun :)

More recently though during the Iraq and Afghanistan operations, but that wasn't firing into water.
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Merlin707 wrote:Hi Alpha to answer your question yes I have shot into water.

A few times during my instructor duties for new loadmasters, the main times though was during exercises hanging out the side of a Chinook or CH53 with a GPMG or Mini Gun :)

More recently though during the Iraq and Afghanistan operations, but that wasn't firing into water.
Cool Merlin...Had a hunch you did :D ....think everyone should at least once...it's an eye opening experience.... now...where you ever close enough to the water to actually notice when the bullet lost momentum ? :D ....that's the coolest part of the whole deal ;)

ALPHA
Merlin707
Corporal

Post by Merlin707 »

Hi Alpha,

During my instructor lessons we had a clear see through bullet catcher so you could see what happens etc.

We also attached a microphone so you can here too which is very interesting to listen to.
Razor 1, Intercept Bogies Angels 2 5, Cleared Hot Engage, Fox 2 Fox 2

Semper In Faecibus Sumus Sole Profundum Variat

HL/Tamiya Sherman - Bulldog Turreted
Taigen Tiki Tiger 1
Torro KingTiger
E-25 Tank Destroyer
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

billpe wrote:The wehrmacht had lots of policies which were ignored by the tank arm. For instance it was expressly forbidden to use tracks as spaced armour because it actually helped sub calibre rounds penetrate the main armour.
Wow, never heard that. I'd love any extra info you can give on that topic!

Return to “Panzer IV”