Chieftain ARRV mk 7

hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Re: Chieftain ARRV mk 7

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi rob regarding your crane rotation. I brought a pack of pulleys and gears from the hobby's catalouge in there was a pully only 10mm dia with a 3mm hole through the centre that I used on one of my models, for the crane and then just a small thick rubber band to a large pully on a servo for the rotation. The beauty on this setup was it gave the crane a safety aspect ie. if the crane hit anything then the rubber band slipped before any damage occured to the model.
regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Rob take a look on ebay for mechano parts ,they have loads of gears and pulleys different sizes should be something you could use . If you get really stuck send me a drawing and will see if I can knock something up for you.

regards pete
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

Build another one, jeez, this one is giving me headaches. If I was doing another I would try and get hold of a Leopard 1 and build a Badger/Dachs, or a Challenger and do a CARRV, or a Leopard 2 and do a Buffel. It would be a walk in the park compared to this.

The tracks are swings and roundabouts. The Leopard has square links and square pads, the Bulldog has triangular links and triangular pads. The Chieftan has triangular links and rectangular pads. I reckon that if I airbrush rectangular pads onto the Bulldog tracks they will look the part.

I have already come to the conclusion that at best this will be an ARV that looks recognisable as an ARRV 7, but it can't be a scale model due to using a KV hull, and the HL gearboxes. In short it will be a test bed for a better model at a later stage. I can mess about with this one, and learn what works and what doesn't, so hopefully I will be better informed if I do another. If it turns out well, then great, if it doesn't then I have learnt something in the process. I just hope that no one from the REME's sees it. :haha: , they will have a field day.

Having a good base to work from would have helped no end, I am trying to keep things in perspective by using the road wheels to align the parts on the upper hull. Using an HL Leopard or Challenger would avoid all of that.

RobG
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

Rob, you can do it, I have faith in you, it will be awesome, I also! Love the Buffalo have been looking at them AFV site but I unfortunately don't have over 4000 Euros lying around.

John
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

I was at a tank meet at Bovington a few years back, there was a group of German guys that made the trip over, and they brought their large scale stuff with them. There was one of those ARV's with them, it's big, must be around 1/10 scale. I couldn't take my eyes off it.

Did the rear winch housing today, which turned out to be rather more complicated than it looks, I skipped one part of the upper detail as I didn't realise that there is supposed to be a recess between the two sections on the upper surface. The pics I am following for this build are sketchy to say the least, but hey ho, I am now learning to triple check everything.
Attachments
DSCN0326.JPG
DSCN0325.JPG
DSCN0324.JPG
DSCN0323.JPG
DSCN0323.JPG (99.94 KiB) Viewed 3383 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
Bogeyman
Corporal

Post by Bogeyman »

With every post it comes together, slowly but surely.

Tip Top Rob.

John
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

She's looking good Rob. I'm following this with intrest as a future project in opposition to the M88 hercules. well done so far, its maddening when all the detail is not clear on the drawings.
regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

The detail is truly maddening. I spent hours making all of the drivers hatch hinges etc, and it all worked including the hydraulic damper, then as I glued the very last part into place with a cocktail stick one tiny dribble of superglue ran down and locked the whole thing solid. Luckily it was in the open position, but I daren't try and get it working again as the whole thing is quite fragile and I just know that something will break.
DSCN0328.JPG
DSCN0328.JPG (99.3 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
I then moved on to the commanders hatch. Again, hours spent cutting circles of styrene, one of which is an eight sided jobbie. It is being built in situ, using a micro drill in the centre to align the layers. Trying to guess at what Armourama had cast in resin from the pics on 1/35 build sites was taxing to say the least, and as with all tanks, pics of the upper deck are always rare. I was looking at the periscopes, when Iain sent me through a couple of links he had found. What the pics don't say is whether they are from a Mk2, 5 or 7, but they all appear to be similar.

http://data.primeportal.net/hoare/charv ... HATCHS.htm

These confused the hell out of me late last night, but taking a fresh look this morning I realise that the periscopes are only at the front. However, there are cut outs at the rear of the cupola, and what I don't know at the moment is whether there shouldn't be any persicopes there, or whether someone removed them?

The Armourama build pics appear to show periscopes all of the way around, so I am going with that idea.

http://armorama.co.uk/modules.php?op=mo ... _id=118387

So this where I am at the moment, just need to bevel off the periscopes and glue them on, then start on the next layer.
DSCN0329.JPG
DSCN0329.JPG (97.58 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
DSCN0330.JPG
DSCN0330.JPG (96.26 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Bugger me Mr Wobbly...........patience of mother Theresa :O
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

W.W.
I completely agree with Herman. Your work and patience with plastic is jaw dropping in scope.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Modern Builds”