taigen metal lower hull with HL plastic upper hull?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jackalope
Lieutenant

Re: taigen metal lower hull with HL plastic upper hull?

Post by jackalope »

I ripped the teeth off the H/L white metal gears so I can't recommend them but others have had good luck. I just try to build my tanks as bullet proof as possible and so far so good!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Do make sure that your WALTERSONS gearboxes fit the Taigen hull, the brass 4/1s only fit into the HENG LONG hull. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

There's a fella of YouTube that's done the two gearbox thing. The problem is that it took up so much space the battery couldn't fit on the inside.

The taigen reduced ration black steel gearboxes will provide all the motive power you could ever want, my 9kg metal strum tiger rolls through foot high grass with no issues. Top speed is pretty good and if you wanted fast use 480 motors of those new super upgraded ones from henglong
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

tomhugill wrote:There's a fella of YouTube that's done the two gearbox thing. The problem is that it took up so much space the battery couldn't fit on the inside.

The taigen reduced ration black steel gearboxes will provide all the motive power you could ever want, my 9kg metal strum tiger rolls through foot high grass with no issues. Top speed is pretty good and if you wanted fast use 480 motors of those new super upgraded ones from henglong
hi ,thanks for the info , i appreciate the taigen gear boxes are quite low ratio but they do not provide a low enough ratio at very low speed , the little motors produce hardly any torque until they get up to higher revs , i would like to have more very very low speed torque to smooth out the handling , at the moment it takes a lot of throttle to move the tank on grass which makes it real lurchy, twitchy and unrealistic , i know its just a toy but if i spend many hours getting it to look more realistic i would like it to handle more realistically too , that means lowering the gearing .
i did spot a diy dual wormgear drive tiger 1 some chap had made and it was amazing , sadly beyond my means :(
i am also considering fitting a spur gear and lay shaft on to the gear boxes where the motor currently mounts , then, running the motors flipped 180 degrees which could give a huge increase in torque at low track speed and also allow any 48pitch 2.3 bore pinion to be mounted to the motor so it could still go quickly if desired ,
thanks again for the input , it's all appreciated
:)
i will keep one of my tigers pretty much with stock gearing but the other needs to be a proper tree stump puller
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

You could always just change the motors? I would also disagree with you about lack of torque, my sturm tiger can neutral turn on grass at slow speed.

If your really set on spending money ETO are making some gearboxes similar to the modellbau spiegl ones with low ratios and big 540 motors.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Also there are the mr design gearboxes made by marcel in Belgium. Bare in mind though that these options cost in the region of £200 where as the humble taigen 4:1s are £30 for the tiger ones.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Finally have you seen the videos of the Munster panther running on grass? That using sure as he'll ain't a smooth runner, it jerks about like no ones business!

Return to “General Questions”