taigen metal lower hull with HL plastic upper hull?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
alphatiger88
Recruit

Re: taigen metal lower hull with HL plastic upper hull?

Post by alphatiger88 »

jarndice wrote:Hallo Alphatiger, one of my Tigers is TAIGEN hull and HENG LONG upper with a TAIGEN metal Airsoft turret, the TAIGEN comes with all you need BUT do make sure you look at everything in the box, the front retaining bar that secures the front of the hull to the HENG LONG BODY is not immediately obvious. shaun
thankyou Shaun , will keep an eye out for that :thumbup:
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

Hey alpha tiger why do you need longer gear boxes? And have you looked at the smoker thread on here? I don't think a fan is any good for proportional smokers as there is nothing to slow the fan quickly, there designed to run at a constant speed and airflow, have you looked at acoustic smoker? These seem to be the best for proportional smokers, am going to have ago at making one soon! I did consider the ecig idea as I use one, so let me know if you can get it to work with one of those!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

spongehoobtank82 wrote:Hey alpha tiger why do you need longer gear boxes? And have you looked at the smoker thread on here? I don't think a fan is any good for proportional smokers as there is nothing to slow the fan quickly, there designed to run at a constant speed and airflow, have you looked at acoustic smoker? These seem to be the best for proportional smokers, am going to have ago at making one soon! I did consider the ecig idea as I use one, so let me know if you can get it to work with one of those!
hey sponge, its to add more gears ,the gearboxes have to get longer or taller or wider , i have opted for longer , the idea i have is to extend the boxes toward the middle of the hull and have multiple motor mounts along the gearbox to allow various gears to be selected ,giving the option of quick(for a tiger) or super duper ultra mega slow with endless torque even at low rpm's ,
as for the fan , the cheap units i have go from full speed to stop in just over a second in free air , when placed at the end of a venturi terminating in 2 x 2mm bore tubes it will stop even faster , i believe the ibu2 has a proportional output for the smoke unit , if i am correct it should just be a case of checking the voltage and current from this output and buying a 25mm fan to match .
its still just an idea until funds allow me to get an ibu2 in front me
:thumbup:
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Oh I see, seems alot of effort for different gear ratio's! You will be able to pull a car with the low low ratio! (now that I would like to see!) the smoker plan sounds good, you going to post a build thread/ how to for it? The IBU2 should do fine for controlling the fan, am not sure how good a fan is for the put put of an engine revving /iderling but am prepared to be put in my place! And if you pull it off hope you don't mind if I nick the idea as a good smoker is difficult to come by!
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

spongehoobtank82 wrote:Oh I see, seems alot of effort for different gear ratio's! You will be able to pull a car with the low low ratio! (now that I would like to see!) the smoker plan sounds good, you going to post a build thread/ how to for it? The IBU2 should do fine for controlling the fan, am not sure how good a fan is for the put put of an engine revving /iderling but am prepared to be put in my place! And if you pull it off hope you don't mind if I nick the idea as a good smoker is difficult to come by!
true, it will be a bit of effort , i may yet buy a pair of waltersons 5:1 items with 3 pinions but the potential grunt available from the two gearboxes connected together has me curious , need to be careful though as i may end up with so much torque the tracks and sprockets may start to fail :think: ,
TBH i want rid of the puff puff , i would like a steady waft at idle and a hard blowing plume of smoke at full chat , a proper choker :D , if i get it to work i will of course post up a full how to , trying to figure out how to best make a coupling manifold to take the vaping chamber mounting and allow the power and air feed while keeping it all inside the tiger exhaust can , should be a fun project on its own :thumbup:
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

My Tiger is a 2014 version H/L upper with Taigen lower works just fine together. I'm running the 4.1 steel geared Taigen gearboxes again works just fine with everything else but I did have to drill the drive sprocket because the Taigen gearboxes use a larger diameter screw to hold the drive sprockets on then the H/L ones do, easy enough to do.
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

I am thinking of getting the waltersons 5:1 am currently running taigen 4:1 and they have alot of torque but I want the tank abit slower, and another bonus of using an ecig- you can put in your flavour of choice and smoke it ;-)
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

As for the smoker I used a fan driven proportional one and it worked great until it melted down. The builder is supposed to be sending me a new one to replace it once it gets here I'll be giving it a GOOD test and report back on how well it works.

But as to how well the fan does it does very well IMHO. At low speed it barely spins so the smoke just doesn't come pouring out but when you give the tank throttle the fan speeds up and the smoke POURS out of the exhaust! I modded the exhaust so it would come out of the center holes like its supposed to. I had to disassemble the exhausts to block off a large open area in the mufflers but no biggie. However one thing I found out was that condensation would start in the mufflers so I drilled a small hole in the bottom of each muffler to allow any water to drain out, I thought I may need to put in a screw to use as sort of a plug to stop smoke coming out and then I'd drain after each time running but no smoke came out of the holes only water drops so no plugs were needed.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

spongehoobtank82 wrote:I am thinking of getting the waltersons 5:1 am currently running taigen 4:1 and they have alot of torque but I want the tank abit slower, and another bonus of using an ecig- you can put in your flavour of choice and smoke it ;-)
Brass gears over steel? Not me but good luck! ;) As for flavored smoke here ya go LOTS of flavors for you! http://megasteam.com/page2.html
alphatiger88
Recruit

Post by alphatiger88 »

jackalope wrote:
spongehoobtank82 wrote:I am thinking of getting the waltersons 5:1 am currently running taigen 4:1 and they have alot of torque but I want the tank abit slower, and another bonus of using an ecig- you can put in your flavour of choice and smoke it ;-)
Brass gears over steel? Not me but good luck! ;) As for flavored smoke here ya go LOTS of flavors for you! http://megasteam.com/page2.html
i would happily go for steel if they came with a large enough reduction , i have considered using steel at the drive shaft end with the heng long pot metal at the motor end but cant seem to find out if they have the same tooth pitch for correct mesh .

Return to “General Questions”