The Tiger thread

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: The Tiger thread

Post by ALPHA »

Marc780 wrote:
ALPHA wrote:I think I used the wrong terminology when suggesting this thread... What I meant was a Dedicated CATEGORY... that way every Tiger or Sherman can have it's own thread... which would take a build from beginning to end...so in other words...from the box...to the process of build ...paint... and show off all together under the person who is doing it

However...what this thread does show...is how convenient it can be... one category... all the Tigers/Shermans ..no matter what brand...is there... showing upgrades and improvements in one viewing :D

ALPHA
Well if the admin wants to do that i think i have almost enough to do that too, at least the king tiger i got..
Yup I have three tigers lined up :D ...think the best thing about the concept is you "can" have or mention brands... that way people can see the pros and cons of each...that way for the beginner who might be in the market can make a more educated decision ;)

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Moved to Build Section

Post by Marc780 »

sorry moved to build section
Last edited by Marc780 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Marc780
Corporal

HL King Tiger Build Post

Post by Marc780 »

The paint on this one i did in the spring, and the paint is way way off anything that could have ever seen a WW2 battlefield. The King Tiger with its "Military sand" base. Testors "sand gelb", which is enamel, and is all I use now, nothing else.

I saw this "rescue" tank on ebay in April this year for $35 shipped so I bought it. It was missing top track rollers and a few other bits-as the photo shows, the previous owner removed the cuppola for some reason, and that of course got replaced. It did have metal gearboxes-those are now installed in the king tiger. And this Mk III just gets by with the plastic gears. I got the rollers from Welsh Dragon, fixed a few more items, did the paint, drove it a bit, then out of the blue, started having a lot of problems with the turret function. Some folks believe that mechanical items may have character or "soul" of their own of some kind, I am one of them, and I do believe this tank might be cursed.

The Mark III is in pieces, it won't stay fixed, electrical issues most of them created by my own mistakes and inability to leave it be when it works. The drive train of this tank is bullet-proof, (unlike the Tiger 1 and King Tiger). I've given up on fixing the Pzkfw III for now, as of today when I updated this (Nov 2 2014) I have 4 tanks and that's probably two too many. I can't keep it all functioning long enough when I fix one thing something else promptly breaks like clockwork. Cursed, I tell you!
Last edited by Marc780 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
Marc780
Corporal

My HL King Tiger Build Post, from out of the box to now, Pt

Post by Marc780 »

Ok will add more mods as I find them, but at last, the semi finished product (metal tracks are on the way and that, for sure, will present more engineering" challenges, I'm sure).

Here's the finished paint...I feel i can stop now.

Last edited by Marc780 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Your King Tiger really looks the part. With the work that you have put into the paint, will you continue on and add some weathering?
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

DAS ISCHT TIGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_eFg22PXWo

Image.....carry on lol

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Post by Marc780 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
Your King Tiger really looks the part. With the work that you have put into the paint, will you continue on and add some weathering?
regards,
Painless
Wolf I like em lightly weathered...I don't think i will add much more, perhaps a wash to highlight the panels.

Latest, I got my metal tracks! These only cost me $57 from Ali exp. I painted them first, red primer/rust, kind of. I figured just normal driving will wear away back down to the shiny metal naked finish it comes in.
They are heavy, even compared to my Tiger tracks, massive. The tiger did not slow down from these tracks as much as i thought they would, if the gearbox and motors give out from them oh well I want an excuse to buy those beautiful brass 3 in ones anyway!

Here's some pictures, the only difference, the metal tracks.

This picture was taken in the shade...i couldn't find a suitable background and the sun was setting.

Last edited by Marc780 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Octopus King Tiger ...Tamiya

This is the closest I will ever come to doing a Historical paint job :D

ALPHA
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

As we're doing king tigers here are my two, now both sold: