Tiger 1 Camouflage Colours?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Tiger 1 Camouflage Colours?

Post by jarndice »

I don't know where you live but most of what I need for my Tank builds I get on- line including paint and yes I do know the postal restrictions in the UK, and yet the various people I have bought paint, glue and other chemical products from have no trouble getting it to me, it gives you the advantage of ordering what you need when you need it and of course you can shop around in the comfort of your own workshop/garage/back bedroom/shed at the bottom of the garden to get the best price, and the biggest as well as the smallest companies will take your order and deliver, go on give it a try.If you go to TIPs & TRICKs and click on PAINTING & WEATHERING if you scroll down you will find a PAINT COMPARISON CHART although the whole section is worthy of a long look. :thumbup: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
DavidByrden
Corporal

Post by DavidByrden »

I don't know how interested you are in accuracy... the Tiger continuously changed in detail, and the HL model is closer to "1331" than "405".
But, it has problems anyway. It might not be worth worrying about.

David
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

I sometimes question how accurate those profiles are anyway. There are quite a few flying around the internet which are very questionable.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Billpe, ever since the days when we would rub down a Land Rover then clip a battery powered spray gun to its battery and respray it in Taxpayers green, I have doubted the detailed paint schemes perporting to be an accurate copy of any military vehicle, in the real world it never happens like that EXCEPT when it is fresh out of the factory, in the field? forget it. :thumbdown: shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
billpe

Post by billpe »

For sure, that's probably the same across the world unless you're a modern German tanker, where they're utterly fastidious about their paint schemes! I spent a great deal of time and a few quid trying to find even the slightest shred of information about a German Leopard 2 not painted the same way as all the others.

What I mean however is some don't match what the unit in its own diaries say they painted their tank whereas others do. I guess it doesn't matter to much if you're doing an approximation of a tank but its bothersome when you want to replicate a specific tank but all the profiles can find are someone's modern drawings with no reference mentioned and they contradict other information which might have references.
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

I'm actually toying with the idea of mixing the colours from artist's acrylics, anyone see a problem with this?
billpe

Post by billpe »

None at all. Acrylics have different properties but if they're the same brand/type of acrylic then it should work fine. It should be possible to find an old RAL (not the new RAL!) colour chart so you can get an exact match if you want. Just lighten it up a little with a white or flesh tone to get a scale equivalent. FYI Scale colours tend to be lighter than the originals.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tricky13 wrote:I'm actually toying with the idea of mixing the colours from artist's acrylics, anyone see a problem with this?
Nope it's what I use....if I could find Tamiya paints... that would be my preference...but they aren't available here anymore... so I've had great success with artists acrylics ... they work fine and are very user friendly when dry.....meaning you can touch them... and unlike some other acrylics or oil based colors... won't rub off in time :D

ALPHA
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Thanks! I couldn't see any particular reason for not using artists acrylics as they are just that and water based so once mixed can be thinned for spraying, and with a bit of a key to the plastics should be durable.
I only fairly recently used acrylics on models for the first time with great success, very easy to use when spraying, not that I am a stranger to spray painting having built and resprayed quite a few cars and bikes in my time, but always with solvent based paints.
However this will be quite a exercise in patients in order achieve the kind of finish I want, as I have never really delved into the micro detailing and weathering this kind of thing requires/deserves, so wish me luck. ;)
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Tricky13 wrote:Thanks! I couldn't see any particular reason for not using artists acrylics as they are just that and water based so once mixed can be thinned for spraying, and with a bit of a key to the plastics should be durable.
I only fairly recently used acrylics on models for the first time with great success, very easy to use when spraying, not that I am a stranger to spray painting having built and resprayed quite a few cars and bikes in my time, but always with solvent based paints.
However this will be quite a exercise in patients in order achieve the kind of finish I want, as I have never really delved into the micro detailing and weathering this kind of thing requires/deserves, so wish me luck. ;)
What some people don't realize...House paint works too... the upside to it is you can have it tinted before you buy it...Primers like KILZ has excellent adhering qualities...on plastic or metal ...pints and gallons run a lot less than small bottles and tubes ;)
ALPHA

Return to “General Questions”