Tiger 1 Camouflage Colours?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tricky13
Recruit

Re: Tiger 1 Camouflage Colours?

Post by Tricky13 »

True! I dare say that it could prove quite economical to use say some white acrylic wood primer and tint it using artists acrylic colours.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

You should be able to order Tamiya paints off the inter webs they have exact color matches for the tanks and aren't very expensive at all. I'd say if you're ordering your Tiger while its still on its way order some paint too that way you get it all at about the same time. Tamiya has acrylic paint and it works very well in the inexpensive airbrush I bought just to paint my Tiger, and now King Tiger as well.

But either way you go as long as YOU are happy with it thats the whole point as its YOUR tank ;) and I for one can't wait to see your progress.

Trust me after you see some of the master pieces these guys turn out you'll start to consider becoming a rivit counter too! I mean I though I did a good job on my 1st go round with my Tiger but after being here a while I felt like an 8 year old with his first model kit :thumbdown: . Its getting a make over now. :thumbup:
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

The 23ml bottles are fairly cheap but I've only ever found them sold in Germany. Not a problem if you don't mind waiting a few days. 1 with a little bit of thinners will do a whole tank.

As long as you prime the plastic first, most acrylics will work though. Just remember that plastic and metal primers are different, with different properties. Some metal primers are not suitable for some plastics.
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Don't get me wrong...but wheres the challenge in just ordering the paint when I could mix it myself for a pittance of what it would cost on the interweb ;)
As long as its a water based acrylic it should not affect plastic at all.

Just received my tiger, had a quick look to make sure all was OK...qite impressed with the overall detail, but obviously some things need attention, unfortunately I cant get stuck into it just yet as its a birthday present from the wife so I have no chance of wrestling it from her until the 2and of Oct.
I did note that the majority of the tank is already primed in dark Grey, also does anyone know if the new versions have the upgraded boards in them? date of manufacture is 03/14.

At least it will give me a chance to get a few bits together, and do some paint mixing, although there is minor weld detail...I feel I would like to take this a bit further, so can anyone recommend a suitable filler?
billpe

Post by billpe »

Milliput is good, some people use Green Stuff. Most modelling putty works so long as its fine.
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Wow had no idea getting Tamiya paints would be so hard over there, I just drive 20min to my local hobby shop and get what I want off the shelf! If anyone needs me to get them paint I'd be happy to help you guys after all you've done to help me its the least I can do to repay you a little.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:Wow had no idea getting Tamiya paints would be so hard over there, I just drive 20min to my local hobby shop and get what I want off the shelf! If anyone needs me to get them paint I'd be happy to help you guys after all you've done to help me its the least I can do to repay you a little.
Watch out Jack.... if I get back into airbrushing ...I might just take you up on that offer lol....no kidding...thing is when I buy..I buy ... I like to get the paints in the box instead of in the bottle ;)

ALPHA
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Just had a go at mixing my own colours...will post up a comparison pic when its dry,
Going back to the Milliput question which colour is best for welds?
Last edited by Tricky13 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billpe

Post by billpe »

I've used the yellow and fine white before. Both seen to work but the yellow hardens quite quickly
Tricky13
Recruit

Post by Tricky13 »

Here is a pic of the colour mix, couldn't find anything other than white paper to try it on and for comparison there are a couple of other colours on there but I think with some more lightening it could be fine, need to spray it on a dark background to be sure.

Return to “General Questions”