Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

This section is to 'show and tell' about any customizing or re-modeling you have done (or are doing) to a Heng Long tank.
Forum rules
This section is for posting a build log of your Heng Long tank.
Questions relating to issues you are having with your tank(s) should be posted in the General Questions forum here: viewforum.php?f=14
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Converting HL Panther "G" to a Late "A"

Post by dgsselkirk »

It was on my list Jeff. I noticed this right away with the line drawings. It's going to be a bit tricky getting the upper hull to sit perfectly down so there appears to be no seam there and I don't think I can get it perfect but we shall see. That is the project for this weekend, the ass end of this thing... :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay... I was sick with a head cold week before last and have been tied up doing family things the last 2 weekends but ready to get back at it a bit now.
When last we met I had shown how leaving the skirt armour ledge on the G let me make the 40 degree angle perfectly so we attached the sides and I closed off the front spaces with some styrene and then ran superglue around all the edges and taped them up to seal off the hollow triangular part. I also at this time refined the hull fit a little more with some tedious sanding of hull meet locations...
Panther A 51.jpg
Panther A 51.jpg (46.33 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
Then I had the brilliant idea to pour resin into the hollow space to make sure it bonded to the hull and it would add firmness to the structure as well. Problem was I thought I had it all sealed but I had a couple of little spots that it leaked! 8O But I dealt with it and the nice part is where the resin ran onto places like the front fenders, and down the sides a bit you can work it off carefully with an xacto knife. I didn't take any pics of the mess just this one looking down the hollow.
Panther A 52.jpg
Panther A 52.jpg (58.13 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
While I was waiting for the resin to dry I started playing a little bit with the zim just for fun. I think the biggest issue is going to be the edges of things because this kit is made for the Tamiya kit not HL but like always we will make it work! :D
Panther A 53.jpg
Panther A 53.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
After a couple of days the resin has set up enough that I can handle the hull no problem. So I turned my attention to the back engine deck and cut out the outside panels which are going to require a complete makeover. I also started putting in the styrene support that will hold the new panels in place.
Panther A 54.jpg
Panther A 54.jpg (46.21 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
I then put the back plate back on and tightened it down in preperation for doing the rough finish of the rear hull...
Panther A 55.jpg
Panther A 55.jpg (54.99 KiB) Viewed 4364 times
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

The resin would have added 20-30mm of armour protection ........ :-)

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Shucks dgsselkirk.... We wanted to see the mess :haha: ....Makes us feel like we are not the only ones making them :D

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Evening,
Indeed! ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Not to mention keeps the sides on while I battle! :haha:

so to add the vertical piece of armour at the rear, first, I again used my drawings and cut out the whole side piece and tacked it on the side in position.
Panther A 56.jpg
Panther A 56.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Then I drew the cut out edge on the styrene and cut it. I elongated it a little because the paper is only 2D so you have to extend the cut lines a little to compensate for the real thing. I pulled it off and reversed the paper to do the other side. Then did the cuts
Panther A 57.jpg
Panther A 57.jpg (40.29 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Panther A 58.jpg
Panther A 58.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Next I test fitted the rear storage boxes to check fit
Panther A 59.jpg
Panther A 59.jpg (42.77 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
I then cut out the actual lower vertical plate by itself and tacked it on to see the fit and position
Panther A 60.jpg
Panther A 60.jpg (38.91 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
I am going to fill this small opening with styrene no issues.
Panther A 62.jpg
Panther A 62.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Next tacked 2 pieces of styrene together and tacked the paper on so that I make 2 identical pieces at one time.
Panther A 63.jpg
Panther A 63.jpg (49.09 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Cut with a dremel and filed down a bit and then split them apart
Panther A 64.jpg
Panther A 64.jpg (52.61 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Panther A 65.jpg
Panther A 65.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
Marked the lower hull and notched it out and fitted in and glued for the moment. Because this will all be covered by zim it doesn't have to look too pretty...
Panther A 66.jpg
Panther A 66.jpg (41.79 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

And one more shot I will be building a box behind the vertical plate extending in to the hull like on the real thing and that will give the vertical plate strength against any whacks the vertical plate might take battling.
Panther A 67.jpg
Panther A 67.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Very Interesting dgsselkirk.... just bordering the line between hard and difficult :haha: :haha:

No Resin??????????? I was pining to see some mess @) @)

ALPHA
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Don't worry Alpha, I'm sure I will screw something else up I have to fix so I will make sure I take pics of that just for you! :haha:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

dgsselkirk wrote:Don't worry Alpha, I'm sure I will screw something else up I have to fix so I will make sure I take pics of that just for you! :haha:
Well if some of that resin gets on your foot...and you don't notice until it heats up.....that would be outstanding :haha:

ALPHA

Return to “Heng Long Builds”