Lipo battery question

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Lipo battery question

Post by tomhugill »

dgsselkirk wrote:And people ask me why I don't change to Lipo.... :crazy:
I don't really see the advantage to using them in my tanks but for the boats they are essential.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tomhugill wrote:
ALPHA wrote:
tomhugill wrote:
No in this case I don't think you do. All lipos have a safe charge rate, depending on c ratin and capacity. Smart chargers let you set the current to charge to so you can always charge below the safe rate. My charger has a max output of 5a which is below the safe limit on my packs. I can't speak for all smart chargers but mine and Gary's don't do what your saying, there's no residual trickle the whole point of a balance charge is to get the cells to the same voltage. The only time I've through there was a slightly danger was web trying to ring back a pal that had one cell that over discharged. In getting it back the other cells went upto 3.22v rather than 3.20v. Ill point out lipos should NEVER EVER get hot charging. Even when I was binging that pack back to life (I'll point out it was 8ah 4s beast) ad never once did it get warm.

If a battery puffs (which none of mine have) id replace it without question.

Any way as I said I've never ver heard anyone advise to get a cheap charger rather than paying to get high quality smart charger. Make of that what you will.
If Lipos have a safe charge rate.... why do the burn? To me ... you never saw one ignite... I have...that's it ...I have over ten years as an Airsoft tech... and like I said have sold hundreds if not more of those little chargers than the blinged out fancy digital ones.... those can sit on a shelf for a year.. why? ,,,because they always break....and yes they do cause the lipos to heat and puff up like little balloons....

Bottom line for me here right now Tom.. is you haven't seen this happen...It's really your inexperience that is showing.... and reason you all think opposite from me.. no problemo buddy....I'm not the one trying to pimp micheal a fancy thing he doesn't really need... I'm just leading him to a practical way of getting the job done...and that little gem...GETS THE JOB DONE :D

ALPHA

I've seen lipos burn, usually they've been purposely abused, dodgy cell etc. then purposely overcharged to make them burn
. I might not have been using lipos for years and years but I know any people that have and they have the same stance.

I'm not trying to flog anything, just give my experience with lipos. As has been said lipos aren't cheap, why would you risk them with a cheapy charger.

Smacks of watching the penny's whilst the pounds go down the drain.
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: ....You just said they have fail safes built in :haha:....Anyway...I have been using lipos for years..and my stance has always been the same... I've given this advice many times on this board...recommended the same charger... same method of charging.... same safety precautions...If you ask me why....it's because I'm a firm believer in the idiom " IF IT AIN'T BROKE ..DON'T FIX IT" ....this methodology has served me as well as friends customers..everyone I meet and have met...they love that little charger...just because it works...like I said before... it's what got me to use lipos....and recommend lipos.... if the standard of charging never changed from the earlier types of chargers... I wouldn't use them..the risk is too high

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

dgsselkirk wrote:And people ask me why I don't change to Lipo.... :crazy:
Right now there is nothing that gives the power or the duration than lipos.... I've said it before and will say it again.... the science isn't perfected ...it's getting there with the push for "Green" vehicles ...but the polymers are still not there
With that said.. I have Lithium powered tools that outperform my standard Nicd NiHi powered units...as well as my airsoft guns ...and now tanks..they do work..you just have to be careful when you use them...one precaution I have never overlooked is charging it in a steel container :D

Airsoft shops sell insulated fireproof bags... don't like those ...as it's like charging the battery in a blanket :haha: :haha:

In Micheal's case...Lipos would serve him very well... especially with his Dicker Max...for the space he has for the battery...there is no Nicd or NiHi that will give him the performance that tank deserves ;)

ALPHA
Last edited by ALPHA on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:Thanks for everyone's input. I think I have gotten more than enough information to get started on this.

MichaelC.
Hope we didn't scare you Micheal :haha: ....There's always Pros and Cons...as well as concerns when trying something different and new... I was the same way with airsoft...But I've learned to like lipos.... they are definitely the power source for the future.. just to describe how long they last... I have lipos in some of my airsoft guns that I haven't touched in over six months....but I can pick them up..and still fire them :haha: ...can't do that with the other kind of rechargeables :D

The Panzer IV that I just revamped .... that dual leaf wasn't charged for three months...tank still starts ...and runs :haha:

ALPHA

Return to “General Questions”