1942 Capture KV-2 754(r)

This section is for builds that are not strictly Tamiya or Heng Long. For instance, replacing the electronics from a WSN or Matorro, or even a scratch-build.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: 1942 Capture KV-2 754(r)

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning, Alpha,
This weekend will be quiet after all of the travel and hurry-worry of the last couple of weeks. I plan on spending a lot of time with the KV-2 and getting it torn down to start working on some of the detail. I had to order a HL connector board for the the three pin turret to hull wiring. I didn't feel good about cutting the turret side plug off and soldering those wires as they were done on the KV-1 turret. I want to be able to pull the turret when needed without firing up a soldering gun. I've picked out the paint scheme I'm going to use and it should be pretty amazing if I can make it work. So, all in all, I'm really looking forward to the weekend. ;o)
regards,
Painless
I know where you are coming from Painless...don't enjoy soldering those tiny boards either...did you give any thoughts of using micro male / female plugs again...there's actually a bunch of sellers on Ebay vending those things out... I thought they were hard to come by...but apparently not... much easier than soldering a board ;)

Carpe Diem SirImage

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
While out running around today, I stopped by the Hobby shop in Longmont. Bearing in mind your thoughts on male\female plugs, I picked up a Deans 3 pin male\female connector set. It will require some solder but will be easier to do than a board and provide a more secure connection. ( no need to rig a mount to the underside of the upper hull like a board would require ) Pulling the turret will be easy whenever required.
regards,
Painless

PS: A question? I know Pale made the lifting eyes on his KV-1's rear deck using heated and wrapped sprue. How did you make yours on the KV-2?
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Sunday saw a lot of work done. There was only a trip to the grocers to cut into my time. I managed to get the KV-2 taken apart and solder on the Deans connector. I considered cutting off the Tamiya style 3 pin female plug and soldering the other end of the Deans on there but since the Deans three brass pins plugged neatly into it, I left it alone. Plenty of work to do without making more. I got the tracks off after that and was very pleased and amazed to see that Taigen had already installed the working idler\track adjuster. It's made out of metal and uses two screws\washers to secure it to the inner metal hull. Turn the shaft and it rotates a screw and advances or pulls back the idler just like the real one. ;o) Simple stuff for some I know but it makes me happy to see such an innovation in scale on this KV-2. I had expected to see the plastic non working HL type on the hull. A tip on track removal, simply unscrew and remove the idler adjuster and idler as a unit. 2 screws per side and the tracks come right off. I also noticed a big gap under the gun shield and used a cut down laminate card to make a cover for that which still allows for elevation and depression. After that, I pulled two of the stowage bins and the cleaning rod tube and set the fenders up as a 754(r) for Wehrmacht usage. Lastly, I carefully tweaked the torsion bars on the last two roadwheels on either side forward a bit to see if that would improve the stance any but noticed no discernable difference until I added some weight back in the front. Then I could see that it sat better, more on the level. I will leave the suspension as is for now but may revisit it in the future if I can find a good deal on one of the Corleis type upgrades. Pics:
Attachments
Heavy duty mount for the idler wheel adjuster
Heavy duty mount for the idler wheel adjuster
Heavy duty mount for the idler wheel adjuster.JPG (92.68 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
A good shot of the orientation of the wires to plug from the mini board on the upper hull
A good shot of the orientation of the wires to plug from the mini board on the upper hull
Deans 3 pin male connector soldered on with provided shrink tubing
Deans 3 pin male connector soldered on with provided shrink tubing
Ring dressed up for 360 degree use with an exacto and file
Ring dressed up for 360 degree use with an exacto and file
Screws for the basic HL style turret ring
Screws for the basic HL style turret ring
View of the bracket used to mount the Smoker to the underside of the upper hull
View of the bracket used to mount the Smoker to the underside of the upper hull
Taigen's newest Smoker
Taigen's newest Smoker
Orientation of the 8 pin connector
Orientation of the 8 pin connector
New battery to sustain the KV-2's xenon flash and a Deans 3 pin connector to make it work
New battery to sustain the KV-2's xenon flash and a Deans 3 pin connector to make it work
Setting up for a fun Sunday
Setting up for a fun Sunday
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Pics Continued:
Attachments
Two new bins added on the opposite side to complete Wehrmacht 754 r configuration
Two new bins added on the opposite side to complete Wehrmacht 754 r configuration
Removal of one stowage bin and the cleaning rod tube
Removal of one stowage bin and the cleaning rod tube
Cover glued into place
Cover glued into place
Cover glued into place.JPG (93.39 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
Laminate cover cut out of a card
Laminate cover cut out of a card
Gap under the gun shield after dressing with a file
Gap under the gun shield after dressing with a file
Gap under the gun shield after dressing with a file.JPG (99.75 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
Color me surprised.  The add on Pz III cupola simply twists to remove
Color me surprised. The add on Pz III cupola simply twists to remove
Color me surprised. The add on Pz III cupola simply twists to remove.JPG (83.41 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
Taigen's plug in for the IR Apple with Pz III cupola removed
Taigen's plug in for the IR Apple with Pz III cupola removed
Taigen's plug in for the IR Apple with Pz III cupola removed.JPG (74.1 KiB) Viewed 3961 times
Another view showing grub screw location for removal of idler
Another view showing grub screw location for removal of idler
Working metal idler wheel adjuster
Working metal idler wheel adjuster
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Well I'm a little jealous lol... that's the tensioner I wanted to order for mine... unfortunately Welsh was clean out...and I haven't been able to locate one...less I buy the Taigen chassis from Dave...are the torsion bars round or flat ? 8O I gave your problem some thought... and actually might have a solution for you... I just need to know that detail....Glad the connector idea worked....can't wait to see what other goodies you have to adorn her with ;)

Have a good one PainlessImage

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Afternoon,
*chuckles* I was going to order the working idler adjuster set from rctank.de even tho' they are more angular and modern in appearance. I am glad that this tank came with a working set. The torsion bars are standard round types with a flat on one end and a 'j' hook on the other. Thank you for giving it some head space. ;o) About the lift eyes on your rear deck? How did you make those? I am considering round jewelry connector rings on flat discs. Your thoughts?
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Hi Painless , I use eyebolts from model boat stockist ( I forget which now :/ ) or somewhere like this - http://www.modellingtimbers.co.uk/26.html , an eye hole of 1.4mm dia. is best , lifting rings I make from brass wire . P.S. In case you were wondering , those odd shaped bits of plastic that come with the Torro turret - are to fill the holes that are left when you remove the extra KV1 armour ( KV2's were too overweight already !!! )
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
Thanks again for the info and link! I'll be waiting to hear from you on the possible torsion bar fix. I looked at those but like the extra armor on the sides. I'll think about it some more.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Afternoon,
*chuckles* I was going to order the working idler adjuster set from rctank.de even tho' they are more angular and modern in appearance. I am glad that this tank came with a working set. The torsion bars are standard round types with a flat on one end and a 'j' hook on the other. Thank you for giving it some head space. ;o) About the lift eyes on your rear deck? How did you make those? I am considering round jewelry connector rings on flat discs. Your thoughts?
regards,
Painless
I'll see if I can draw up something... think it will work for your torsion problem ;)
The lift eyes I bought from a bead shop...you know one of those places gals go to make ear rings and necklaces... If you don't have a place like that close by ...let me know I can get some for you... the shop is pretty close by ...so not a big deal PM me

Have a good one Painless :thumbup: Image

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Thank you very much, Alpha. ;o) There is a place that does do-it-yourself jewelry up on Boulder's Pearl Street Mall. I will check there this Sat. for the rings. If I have no luck there, I will take you up on your kind offer. So today was a detail sort of day. I worked out locations for some of the pieces from Torro and some of the Pz III pieces from Forgebear. Holes were drilled for placement and the parts press fitted. Nothing requiring detailed paint will be permanently attached til painting begins. Pics:
Attachments
Progress is being made
Progress is being made
Front sirens mounted as a pair, holes drilled and parts press fitted.
Front sirens mounted as a pair, holes drilled and parts press fitted.
Same for the rear Convoy Light
Same for the rear Convoy Light
Same for the rear Convoy Light.JPG (97.92 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Holes drilled for the Fire Extinguisher and the part press fitted
Holes drilled for the Fire Extinguisher and the part press fitted
Holes drilled for the Fire Extinguisher and the part press fitted.JPG (87.93 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Tamiya lens and headlight ring in place, much more realistic
Tamiya lens and headlight ring in place, much more realistic
Tamiya lens and headlight ring in place, much more realistic.JPG (78.32 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
LED filed down and surround painted silver
LED filed down and surround painted silver
LED filed down and surround painted silver.JPG (80.17 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Cans in place for fitment
Cans in place for fitment
Placement of the spare 'Jerry'can rack.  Holes drilled and rack permanently mounted
Placement of the spare 'Jerry'can rack. Holes drilled and rack permanently mounted
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Other Builds”