king Tiger w/zimmerit

Hetzer
Recruit

king Tiger w/zimmerit

Post by Hetzer »

After a long time away from the hobby I have finally found some time to crack on with some models. I sold my last KT effort on flea bay, but missed it so much decided to paint up another one. This one is a metal track/gears version, not modded as such bar engine grilles and a bit of filler here and there. Im more interested in a model to hoon around the battle ground in the garden rather than a super detailed jobbie with lots of etched brass and the like to get knocked off in 'action'.
So for starters, as its a Porsche turret version, therefore again the milliput has to come out to replicate zimmerit :yawn: First job is to wash all the grease and handling contamination from the model with soapy water, this gives a good key for the miliput without the need to rub over with wet and dry.
I find that miliput sandwiched between two sheets of grease proof paper can be easily rolled flat without any sticking. This can be then transferred to the model and smoothed over. Using lots of water the ridges are emossed with a plastic tool made from a one of those polypropylene spreaders that come with tins of car body filler. 8mm with is a bout correct for 1/16th scale. If there is a problem with the miliput sticking to the tool and ripping, you can leave the spread and flatened putty for about 30 mins untill it forms a skin.
I picked out a couple of areas to replicate battle damage. I have forgot to add a loaders pistol port, this can be added at a later stage. :{
After a base coat of red brown and darker pre shade, the base colour of dark yellow was airbrushed on followed by tri cammo pattern. A template was made from card for the national cross and sprayed on via airbrush.

After a couple of dark washes, the chips were added individualy with a 000 red sable brush. Firstly buff, followed by filling in each chip with red brown and finaly a dark almost black . Pinwashes were then added around raised parts and edges using burnt umber oil paint. It all looks a bit stack at the moment but additional washes and rendering will tone down and blend together.
......and after oil paint pin washes.
palepainter
Sergeant

Re: king Tiger w/zimmerit

Post by palepainter »

Thanks for those posts. The weathering is superb. I really like the technique used on this one with the buff chips followed by the secondary colors. I assume you are using water base on the color coats after the hairspray. Can this same technique be done with enamels, in regards to working with the hairspray?

Pale
Last edited by palepainter on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Boy Hetzer... when you get down and dirty... you don't mess around :haha: You have accomplished another masterpiece with pointillistic application..the heart of a true artist lives within you :thumbup:

another
GREAT JOB :D

ALPHA
Hetzer
Recruit

Post by Hetzer »

palepainter wrote:Thanks for those posts. The weathering is superb. I really like the technique used on this one with the buff chips followed by the secondary colors. I assume you are using water base on the color coats after the hairspray. Can this same technique be done with enamels, in regards to working with the hairspray?

Pale
Pale,I didn't use the hairspray method for this project. I just simply painted in all the chips after the base coat and cammo were applied. It does take an age on a model of this size, but its just a case of putting on some fav tunes and and cracking on a panel at at time. If I was using hairspray, I find that a top layer (to be chipped and weathered) using Tamiya Acrylics works best. Thinned with water, rather than solvent, as solvent thinned paint tends to adhere too well subsequently making the chipping process very difficult. Also a coat of gloss cote before the hairspray makes the whole removal process much,much simpler. :thumbup: however I've never actually tried the method with enamels.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

always a joy to see a New tread from you Bomber man :thumbup:

would be cool if you woud share you're stuff With us in the rc tank Group :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rctanks/
Drammen Rock City
Hetzer
Recruit

Post by Hetzer »

maxmekker wrote:always a joy to see a New tread from you Bomber man :thumbup:

would be cool if you woud share you're stuff With us in the rc tank Group :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rctanks/
Nice one maxmekker, I have just joined your group, lots of interesting stuff to read through. :thumbup:

Return to “King Tiger”