Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
tamworthleon
Recruit

Re: Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Post by tamworthleon »

Nope I have a small flat blade screw driver on the real idle wheel and its bust the blade on the screw driver so now im outta ideas.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

small Philips screwdriver for the idle wheels.

TBH the Tiger is a pain the first time you take to bits but once done and you know all the bits it's easy.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tamworthleon wrote:Thanks Guys. Alpha the turning on my tiger is rubbish as it seems all or nothing. Don't like turning slowly at all. Scalawag I've already got a 6ch 40 meg set knocking around.
Problem im having I cant get the dam caps off the centre of the drive wheel.tried everything but they aint moving. Im hoping I don't have to break them off. They are alloy I think.
BUMMER ....like all brands you can't win them all... too bad yours doesn't work well... Lucky for me I'm not just pimping the brand... as I have Sassgrunt to back me up... He's seen my Heng Longs run...on the roughest of courses ... but hey ... you're up to the cost of upgrading it.. it's your choice not mine..I'll wait till mine burns out then install the Heng Long 2,4 which is available now

I do find it interesting that you say you don't want to turn slowly...as lower gear ratios will ultimately do that

Good luck

ALPHA
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

Well I've given up after stripping it these gearbox's are aload of rubbish! Now I cant get my drive sprocket over the drive shaft and the hole in the sprocket is too small to pass the new hex screw through it so to say im fed up is an understatement. So on that note I've just slung it back into the box how it is and put it in the loft. I pee'd to say the least that I was not informed that the Heng Long metal Sprocket will not fit these gearbox's. Been a complete waste of my time and money. Thanks for your help though guys at least I've tried. Better to have tried and failed than not try at all lol.
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

ALPHA wrote:
tamworthleon wrote:Thanks Guys. Alpha the turning on my tiger is rubbish as it seems all or nothing. Don't like turning slowly at all. Scalawag I've already got a 6ch 40 meg set knocking around.
Problem im having I cant get the dam caps off the centre of the drive wheel.tried everything but they aint moving. Im hoping I don't have to break them off. They are alloy I think.
BUMMER ....like all brands you can't win them all... too bad yours doesn't work well... Lucky for me I'm not just pimping the brand... as I have Sassgrunt to back me up... He's seen my Heng Longs run...on the roughest of courses ... but hey ... you're up to the cost of upgrading it.. it's your choice not mine..I'll wait till mine burns out then install the Heng Long 2,4 which is available now

I do find it interesting that you say you don't want to turn slowly...as lower gear ratios will ultimately do that

Good luck

ALPHA
Think you miss what I said mate I cant get mine to turn slowly that's the problem it seems like superspin or nothing. My KV1S runs very well and that's just a standard tank with the RX18 but plastic gearbox's and tracks.Turns slow enough too, I don't want super spin lol
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi tamworthleon,
..................... Just before you "give up" on the Tiger and it goes into the loft.... How about posting some photos of where you have got to in taking it apart ,
and where you are actually 'Stuck' with it , at this moment in time.... If you see what I mean ??..... We might be able to help you with something that you might have missed on the tank :)
It should be easy to be able to get the tracks off once the drive sprocket is off... It used to be my favourite way of removing the tracks on my Tiger !
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

Dietrich wrote:Hi tamworthleon,
..................... Just before you "give up" on the Tiger and it goes into the loft.... How about posting some photos of where you have got to in taking it apart ,
and where you are actually 'Stuck' with it , at this moment in time.... If you see what I mean ??..... We might be able to help you with something that you might have missed on the tank :)
It should be easy to be able to get the tracks off once the drive sprocket is off... It used to be my favourite way of removing the tracks on my Tiger !
Hiya mate I got it stripped right down, got the standard gearbox's out and then the fun begins. 1 I mount both gearbox's and it seem they are off centre through the driveshaft holes. don't look right at all but I screw them down and lube them up. I test them and I still got a problem I had before. one side starts to run before the other so im guessing its the RX18 unit as the cheap and nasty transmitter you cant move the trim. But when I stop running the problem side stops way before the other side (run down/power off). So thinking its the RX18 and im replacing it anyway it don't matter for now. BUT on offering up the drive gear it wont fit over the driveshaft and I manage to get it half way on but that's that.Then I notice that new driveshaft fixing bolt is a bigger thread so wont go through the hole in the drive gear anyway. So that's that I gave up lol. Its dumped in the box and just outside the loft hatch. Im not happy that I was not told these gearbox's are no good with the heng long drive gear. If I change that them I dare say the new gear be no good with my metal tracks. So I've knocked it on the head and given up with it. It was a waste of time and money. I'll turn to the KV1s and do what I was going to do with that instead. At least that runs sweet and so far no issues at all with that lol
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

I forgot to mention, tracks were easy when I sat down with a cuppa and have a think. I have spare plastic tracks and some pins for the KV so I used a pin to drive out 1 on each track. Seems no way of getting the track off past the idle gear otherwise. I see where the idle gear splits BUT its plastic and they have glued the dam thing together so I did'nt try to part it. So there ya go the so pro version still has a plastic idle wheel. So to sum it up these are the first Heng Long tanks I've had. Impressed with the standard KV1S and not happy at all with the so called pro version of the tiger 1. As you Said ALPHA its the luck of the draw I guess
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tamworthleon wrote: Think you miss what I said mate I cant get mine to turn slowly that's the problem it seems like superspin or nothing. My KV1S runs very well and that's just a standard tank with the RX18 but plastic gearbox's and tracks.Turns slow enough too, I don't want super spin lol
Sounds to me ... like something is binding ... did you check your track tension and wheel spin?...a lot of the Tigers have a pressed pin that goes into the suspension arm that pin can sometimes be driven in too much causing the wheel to drag on the tracks.. usually if you run it in they will loosen up... the extreme would be to gently pry on the backside of the wheel to gain some clearance

your idler should spin free as well.. but sometimes there is glue under the screw cover that might cause binding ...if you are having problems removing the cover... drill a small hole in it... that a small screwdriver can fit into .... but really it's totally unnecessary to do so if your tracks have the correct amount of sag ...If you have the upper hull off... it's even easier ... all you do is put the tracks on from the idler side first... let it hang then fit the drive sprocket on to the track...rolling it forward till it reaches the gearbox axle ... I tuned up dozens of the HENG LONGs ... and all of them work well...

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

tamworthleon wrote:I forgot to mention, tracks were easy when I sat down with a cuppa and have a think. I have spare plastic tracks and some pins for the KV so I used a pin to drive out 1 on each track. Seems no way of getting the track off past the idle gear otherwise. I see where the idle gear splits BUT its plastic and they have glued the dam thing together so I did'nt try to part it. So there ya go the so pro version still has a plastic idle wheel. So to sum it up these are the first Heng Long tanks I've had. Impressed with the standard KV1S and not happy at all with the so called pro version of the tiger 1. As you Said ALPHA its the luck of the draw I guess
Yup it sounds like your tracks are too tight... you should have at least a third of an inch play when you lift it up..if you don't the gearboxes will have a grinding noise to therm

ALPHA

Return to “HL Tiger 1”