Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Fixes and mods for the HL Tiger 1
tamworthleon
Recruit

Re: Anyway of slowing down my Tiger while turning?

Post by tamworthleon »

Tankbear wrote:
tamworthleon wrote:Thanks guys sounds like the IBU2 and the gearbox is the way to go. I knew it would cost me but thats life lol. How much am i looking at for the lot Tankbear?
Just do it in stages. First the black metal gearboxes from welsh dragon models or Forgebear. You might find this is enough for you if not more powerful motors. And then if that still not good enough change the electronics.

I know this hobby can be expensive and new people read and see what others do to they tanks on the forum but that doesn't mean it is right for your tank. Kid in a sweet shop spring to mind but we've all been there.

Ian
Thanks mate, I've been on Welsh Dragons site and he seems to be out of stock for a lot at the moment but his got 4.1 ratio with better motors. These any good? I was looking on a review somewhere on the IBU2 boards and they seem to offer so much more so I think that's the way i'ld like to go. I've got a 6 channel TX/RX upstairs tho its 40 meg so already there with that. So yes i'ld like to get the IBU2 and any advice on the gearbox would be great as he seems to have a few listed. Please can you PM me a price on the IBU2 please.
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Hi Leon,

These are the ones I have in both of my tigers:

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... 1754-p.asp

They work really well for me. :D

e-mail Steve about anything showing as out of stock as he may have some and just not updated the website. Check his ebay shop as well.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Welsh-Dragon-Models?_rdc=1

Also have you asked him about the RC Tankwarfare forum members discount already? :thumbup:
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

scalawag wrote:Hi Leon,

These are the ones I have in both of my tigers:

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/taig ... 1754-p.asp

They work really well for me. :D

e-mail Steve about anything showing as out of stock as he may have some and just not updated the website. Check his ebay shop as well.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Welsh-Dragon-Models?_rdc=1

Also have you asked him about the RC Tankwarfare forum members discount already? :thumbup:
Hiya mate, No not asked him for a discount code as yet but I will do. Yeah I was looking at those gearbox's so that's what i'll go for. They are showing as being in stock too so will order then at the end of the week. Im going to put my standard metal gearbox's into my KV1's for now to replace the plastic ones. I've seen Tankbears Web page so have the answers I was looking there. Have got these in stock Tankbear? Going to wait for payday for that tho at the end of the month. To be fair I know the tank cost the wife £100 off ebay with the metal tracks,wheels and gearbox's and spending £200/£220 on upgrades still works out to be a good price for what i'll end up with. The correcting the other little bits is all part of the fun and works out a hell of a lot cheaper than a Tamiya kit. After this im going to turn to my KV1's and have a play with it.It will becoming a KV-2 lol.
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Paul,

I've used Graupner 400 speed 6v + 7.2v versions bought from local model store but sold all over internet. The 6v version is a very fast motor 18,000 rpm compared to about 10-11,000 for the stock HL ones 8O I thought because it was so fast it have poor torque but could drive my 6kg Tiger up a 45 degree slope no problem.

Also used Jamara LiPo power 480 speed motors (still use 2.3mm drive shaft) these the instruction said run in for 8 hours. Again awesome motor but now like rocking horse poop to get hold of.

Lightly I've been getting JP 400 speed from here http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/sh ... sp?id=1218 at first I was disappointed with them feeling slow and not strong but have come alive with use. I've not tried the 480 speed version but again uses the same 2.3mm shaft so your pinion will fit.

Here's a video demonstrating the control of the IBU2, the tank has black metal 3:1 gearboxes and JP 400 speed motors installed.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Hi Ian,

Thats brilliant, thank you. :thumbup:
Sussex Model Centre is relatively close to where I am. It is in Worthing which is about an hour or so along the coast from here. I will definitely take a look. Do I need a puller to remove the pinion?

I saw that video when you first posted it. it is awesome 8)
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

I tried with out a pinion puller and ended up bending the shaft or snapping teeth off the pinion. With one it takes less than a minute to remove so definitely worth getting one.

I first got one of this type

And it snapped on first use. :-<

I then got one of these

Seller told me the pin would fit 2.3mm diameter shaft but didn't so I filed it down until it was.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

Thanks Ian very helpful :D
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Just dont ask where I bought it from as I can't remember :{
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
scalawag

Post by scalawag »

:haha: sound like me that. I'll find one :thumbup:
tamworthleon
Recruit

Post by tamworthleon »

Just spoke to Welsh Dragon Models and I've ordered the same gearbox's as you Scalawag. So should have them early part of next week :thumbup: Going to sling the standard metal box into the KV1's for now.

Return to “HL Tiger 1”