Another Cat, My Panther G

sunray
Private

Another Cat, My Panther G

Post by sunray »

I have had a go at a Tiger, a Bulldog, now for a Panther. The Panther belongs to my youngest son. It was a basic model which didn't have sound or a working forward firing machine gun. The controller card was a RX13 which I think are a bit temperamental so it had to go. Also I'm not a big fan of the on/off button or volume control underneath the tank, so they also had to be moved so this is how I have done the mods, upgrade, etc. I hope this might be of so help to someone.

First the on/off button and volume control. I removed the on/off from the bottom of the tank and filled in the holes with filler. I decided the make a mount out of plastic card for the on/off button and volume control. Also I changed the plastic suspension arms for metal ones.
Lower Hull.jpg
Switch 1.jpg
Switch 2.jpg
Switch 3.jpg
With the on/off switch, etc sorted I added the speaker and a new RX18 controller to the lower hull. After playing around with the layout I decided to use a piece of plastic card to mount the RX18 on, added a new receiver card and new speaker.
Lower Hull layout.jpg
RX18.jpg
Lower Hull layout 2.jpg
I also decided to make my home made antenna from a piece of copper wire, "nerf gun" bullet, biro and some scrap bits of plastic which is stuck to the hull with super glue with the copper wire soldered to the antenna wire to the receiver card.
Antenna.jpg
sunray
Private

Re: Another Cat, My Panther G

Post by sunray »

Now for the upper hull. When I disassembled the Panther I noticed some of the plastic storks or studs where the hull screws, screw into were damaged. So I reinforced them by attaching a brass collar around them glued with super glue. That seems to have done the trick.
Stork 1.jpg
Stork 2.jpg
sunray
Private

Post by sunray »

To get access to the on/off button I cut out the gunners hatch and made a working hatch from some plastic card, pin and a small piece of copper wire.
Hatch.jpg
Hatch 2.jpg
Hatch 3.jpg
Hatch 4.jpg
Hatch 5.jpg
Hatch 6.jpg
Hatch 7.jpg
Hatch 8.jpg
Hatch 9.jpg
tisaksen
Lance Corporal

Post by tisaksen »

Great work! Wish I had the skills for the small details :)
sunray
Private

Post by sunray »

After adding engine grills, I removed the engine cover hooks and re-fixed them back facing the right way, facing outwards. I took off the external antenna connector and filled the hole. I also made the cross grill for the rear vent out of metal from a coke can and glued into place.
grill 2.jpg
Once that was done I used a small piece cut from an old dish washer filter for the inner grill for the vent. The white bits on the corners are sodium bicarb which when sprinkled on super glue makes it go off straight away.
grill.jpg
sunray
Private

Post by sunray »

Next I replaced the plastic headlight with a metal one and added a bent piece of copper wire as false cable. Then I used a hot glue gun to stick the wire to the upper hull out of the way.
light.jpg
light 2.jpg
light 3.jpg
With that done I added a new metal machine gun. The hole into gun ball required enlarging for the barrel to fit and I drilled a smaller hole as the sight.
MG 3.jpg
MG 2.jpg
MG.jpg
ruben2005
Sergeant

Post by ruben2005 »

:wave: :clap: :clap: looking good fella nice job keep up the good work :thumbup: :thumbup:
fetch me the kitty's lets go to war
sunray
Private

Post by sunray »

As before I glued the wire for the machine gun to the upper hull with a hot glue gun but I allowed a small amount of play in the wire to enable movement of the gun.

Reading Jeff1101 excellent "HL Panther G customization dairy" (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8956) I thought of making my own spare track holders. I cut the plastic track that comes with the tank, giving me 6 pieces of track. Then I filled the holes for the track on the side of the upper hull with filler and rubbed them down. Using the metal from a fish tin and a pair of sheet metal cutters. All you need to do is mark a straight line and cut along it. The cutters I have produce a thin strip of metal.
Track Holder.jpg
Track Holder 2.jpg
Once the metal strip cut to size and bent into shape, you have a clamp which is just wide enough to fit through the track.
Track Holder 3.jpg
After making 12 clamps I glued them to 2 pieces of plastic rod cut to size.
Track Holder 4.jpg
Track Holder 5.jpg
Track Holder 6.jpg
The I drilled the clamps and made pins from brass wire to hold the track and now its just a case of adding the track holders to the upper hull.
Track Holder 7.jpg
Track Holder 8.jpg
I also brought a kit of track covers and added them to the upper hull.
Track Holder 9.jpg
sunray
Private

Post by sunray »

tisaksen wrote:Great work! Wish I had the skills for the small details :)
Thanks for that.
sunray
Private

Post by sunray »

ruben2005 wrote::wave: :clap: :clap: looking good fella nice job keep up the good work :thumbup: :thumbup:
Cheers ruben2005 and there is a lot more to come.

Return to “Panther”