The 3D Printer Thread

All things 3D printing. Printers, design, CAD, hints and tips, models built.
jee
Staff Sergeant

Re: The 3D Printer Thread

Post by jee »

Biasphere1 wrote:Jee I bought a Creality Ender 5 + with a build plate of 350X350X 400 and sometimes I wish I went bigger.
Just saying.
Well, of course bigger is always better, but the files I bought from Lubos require a build plate of 20*20. And I had a quick look at his KT and that requires a plate of 20*25. So to be honest the 3D max with 30*30 should be enough. I dont want to open a shop or something.

So, the 3D max for 215 euro looks for me as a great deal.
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

jee wrote:
Biasphere1 wrote:Jee I bought a Creality Ender 5 + with a build plate of 350X350X 400 and sometimes I wish I went bigger.
Just saying.
Well, of course bigger is always better, but the files I bought from Lubos require a build plate of 20*20. And I had a quick look at his KT and that requires a plate of 20*25. So to be honest the 3D max with 30*30 should be enough. I dont want to open a shop or something.

So, the 3D max for 215 euro looks for me as a great deal.
Bigger is not always better at least with printers i find ;)
I have an S4 with 400x400x400 and it is upgraded with direct drive units and is an awesome piece of kit. but my bank of Ender 3's get alot more usage and my E3v2 is my favourite. It gets a hell of alot more use than any of the other printers. Bigger just means more often than not it has loads of wasted build space. I tend to only use my S4 when i am doing parts that physically cannot fit on the smaller printers.
I will be buying a larger printer soon, but that will only be because i want to print more 1/10 & 1/6 items which won't even fit on my S4, but i bet it will not be used that often!
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Walker Bulldog project?
HL Panzer IV Munitionsschlepper für Karl-Gerät
HL Sherman project?

1/24 Leopard 2 Custom mod

2 many trucks to list!
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Will01Capri wrote: Bigger is not always better at least with printers i find ;)
I have an S4 with 400x400x400 and it is upgraded with direct drive units and is an awesome piece of kit. but my bank of Ender 3's get alot more usage and my E3v2 is my favourite. It gets a hell of alot more use than any of the other printers. Bigger just means more often than not it has loads of wasted build space. I tend to only use my S4 when i am doing parts that physically cannot fit on the smaller printers.
I will be buying a larger printer soon, but that will only be because i want to print more 1/10 & 1/6 items which won't even fit on my S4, but i bet it will not be used that often!
completely depending on the size of objects you want to print of course, you are right.
Although Lubos tanks are also 1/10 scale. (and 1/6 is already killed by my wife anyway :D)
And about space, the bigger the printer, the bigger the space you need to put it.

so, for me, to start with 3D printing, and to fool around a bit, this will do for now. never know what the future will bring of course.
Regards,
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

By the looks of it the Ender 5 was outside the price range set by the op.
You can get 2 yes two Ender 3 max printers for the price of an Ender 5+
I have a resin printer 3 x Ender 3’s, a CR10 S4 & a CR10 S5.
They all get used heavily, but the Ender 3 max is ideal for a beginner who wants to do mostly 1/16 stuff
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biasphere1
Lance Corporal

Post by Biasphere1 »

So, the 3D max for 215 euro looks for me as a great deal.[/quote]
Bigger is not always better at least with printers i find ;)
I will be buying a larger printer soon, but that will only be because i want to print more 1/10 & 1/6 items which won't even fit on my S4, but i bet it will not be used that often![/quote]

I thought that money would buy an Ender 5 plus , yes I'm more 1/10 to 1/6 now so the larger printer is a good thing.
Lubos's STL's and manuals are first class .
I hope Jee has many many thousands of successful hours of use out of his printer .
Cheers
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

The Ender 5 plus is (as I can find) too expensive for me at the moment,
The Ender 5, has build plate of 22*22. So, can't print the KT from Lubos I think.
And although I like that structure of the printer, I think I can do a bit more with the Ender 3 Max at this moment (but I can be wrong as I am a beginner :D )

At least with this printer I still have some part of the budget left to get some upgrades/mods as I found there are some possibilities for that.

F.E. is the BLtouch a good upgrade?
To add a dual Z-axis?
replacing the fans, for Noctua fans to make it more quiet?
there are some more which you can simply print yourself, so that will be no problem.

Are there more upgrades that are convenient?

thanks in advance!
Regards,
midlife306
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by midlife306 »

Don’t bother upgrading anything yet, wait to see if you actually need an upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Biasphere1 wrote: I hope Jee has many many thousands of successful hours of use out of his printer .
Cheers
well, thanks, but somewhere I would like to upgrade if I like it :D
Regards,
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

Been doing some other types of 3D printing messing around with resin parts.
I gotta say i love the new toy, here's some things i been playing with for random builds i am working on currently

Maybe need to work on making the text bigger and out of scale so is more readable!

HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!
Will01Capri
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Will01Capri »

jee wrote:
Biasphere1 wrote: I hope Jee has many many thousands of successful hours of use out of his printer .
Cheers
well, thanks, but somewhere I would like to upgrade if I like it :D
Printers are defo made for modification, however its best to run them till they break and work out why and then upgrade them at that point. Bit by bit you can work out the best way to modify and improve them as you get to know your printer.
I have to say i do like being able to get the S4 dusted off and getting it running, it is however my least user friendly printer. But when its working its uber good.

1 piece of advice for anyone buying a printer is make sure you have room for more than 1, 1 is never enough! hahahahaha
HL camo E' Tiger
HL L' Tiger
M26 Pershing WW2 project
Tam K'Tiger project
HL Sherman project?

2 many trucks to list!

Return to “3D Printing”