Tamiya Königstiger- a blitz build

43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya Königstiger- a blitz build

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Raminator wrote:I'd have to assume that the weight of the turret would guide it past the notches.

It's been an informative read, catching up on this build. Nice to see a step-by-step, by-the-books Tamiya kit; shows exactly what you get for your dosh. Surprising how thin and flimsy some of it seems to be, I'll be interested to see how it fares once it's locked together and running. How do you feel about it thus far, Roy? Does it live up to your expectations?
Yes, I surmised that gravitational pull would keep the Turret attached as it passed the in/out notches; but on bumpy ground and with a breeze blowing (a constant companion in my sea-loch domestic setting :| ), I thought it might detach itself.
I do like the three white roller bearings the turret rides on. I should have included pic of them, but my personal brief was to be brief and, as you've noted, Ram..by the book.
We've had a spell of Sun and showers here in recent weeks, and that impacts on painting and 'field' trials. I have a new compressor/ airbrush setup. The old one was underpowered, and went 'phut' after only two tanks worth of use :thumbdown: )
But I like working outdoors, with suitable screens, when painting- but rain makes for constant interruptions. Even with an extension, my compressor barely reaches my shed. Thus, I've been using rattle cans for priming and a basic topcoat.
My impressions so far?
Well here are the
Plusses:-
1. Precisely engineered fittings and fixings. Sanding, filing, and 'adjusting' are not necessary for parts to fit together as intended. :thumbup:
2. Major components, such as the electronic control units, the gearboxes, and the speaker have that hard to define feel of 'quality' about them. Even the packaging is in a class of its own (Like Apple's packaging)
3. The Instruction manual is well laid out and generously illustrated. Moreover, the English used in the text is actually comprehensible, unlike the Stanley Unwin style nonsense (or baffling 'Chinglish') encountered elsewhere.
4. The surface details (Turret pitting etc.), on the hulls and Turret, as well as the accessories (Hammer, spade, etc) accessories have clean crisp lines. This suggests that they came out of superior moulds.
5. The contents of the package (Sprues, fixings etc.) are neatly, and logically organised. For convenience sake though, i created sealable jars labelled ''A', 'B', 'C', and 'D' parts, just to ensure that nothing went adrift from a burst plastic packet.
Everything was as it should be, and a few spares fixings were included.
6. Good sound effects.
7. Simple Upper Hull attachment method: a screw concealed within an engine deck fitting. :thumbup:
Negatives:
1. No lights
2. No smoke
3. No 360 deg capable turret
4. Turret and Upper hull disappointingly thin and flexible. Internal stiffening ribs, spars, bulkheads, or sheets of styrene may be needed to beef the tank up. It certainly doesn't feel robust so far. :problem: I won't comment further on flexing in the hull, etc.,however, until I've had the opportunity to give the KT a good workout.
5. Japanese versions of the kit also include the Transmitter (a rebranded Futuba model) and RX. This one- the EU version- doesn't. :(
Overall, I like the kit. It cost (at under £500) almost 200-300 pounds less than the Panzer IV kit I really wanted. I really like the way everything fits together as it should. It's not even a millimetre out in any location where parts have to be installed, or bonded in.

More later when I've had a go with it..
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Turret now locked in to the upper hull, and resting on three white plastic roller bearings (nice :thumbup: ). Time for a little primer.
Priming the turret and upper hull
Priming the turret and upper hull
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

and again-
Humbrol grey primer on KT upper sections
Humbrol grey primer on KT upper sections
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

One feature I like, and I'm assuming it's common in one form or another to all Tamiya Full-Option tanks, is the use of roller bearings to reduce the rolling resistance of the turret, and keep it level :thumbup:
I've highlighted it in the illustration:
Tamiya KT  3 Turret roller bearings
Tamiya KT 3 Turret roller bearings
That's one area where Tamiya still surpasses the competition :thumbup:
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Good work and quick too!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Adam. :thumbup: Coming from a really knowledgeable Tamiya enthusiast, that's a welcome little esteem boost :D When I come to build my Panther G, I'll be doing it at a leisurely pace. I've also been buying Panzer IV bits piecemeal (Hull and Upper hull) for a future hybrid project. As an aside, I've noticed that the Pz IV hull seems quite a bit stiffer than the KT's, but maybe that's connected with size and shape. Its a bummer that the PzIV is so much more expensive than other Tamiya offerings, as it's the one I'd like most, I think. :|
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Panzer iv is nice, quite small to shoe horn all the kit in however.

Love my king tiger, runs well with a few new additions.

Look forward to your progressing. Are you putting zimmerit on?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A wee bit of late afternoon Sun, and I've managed a couple of coats of Tamiya Dunkelgelb (dark yellow) on the Tank. Instead of adding a few darker underlying patches (tones) along the seams and bolts and welds, prior to overpainting (my usual technique), I intend to add stripes and weathering later. I will also handpaint the accessories and Turret track spares.
Three packs of Tamiya drybrush Weathering Master have just turned up in the post. Keeping to my brief of completing the project with tamiya-based materials (rattle cans, metal primers, Cement etc.), I thought i'd give their weathering materials a try too. I did a trial comparison between Vallejo Red brown and tamiya's Red Brown and found a real mismatch. The vallejo was far redder-pigmentwise- than the Tamiya type, and so I'm sticking to Tamiya exclusively. One problem, though, is that the XF series of colours desn't appear to lend itself to brushing. I'll have to work on that. :think: I may have to use my Vallejo model air Panzer colours, as they brush on quite well.
First topcoat of Tamiya Dunkelgelb.
First topcoat of Tamiya Dunkelgelb.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Ad Lav wrote:Panzer iv is nice, quite small to shoe horn all the kit in however.

Love my king tiger, runs well with a few new additions.

Look forward to your progressing. Are you putting zimmerit on?
I agonized over the zimmerit, and even raised the issue of whether to fit it, or not, on a separate thread when preparing for the build. In the end, I decided I liked the pitting effects on the turret, and wasn't confident that I could make the Tamiya zimmerit look sufficiently convincing. :problem: In short, no zimmerit. I saw the job you did on yours, and didn't think i could match that. I have a Torro (Metal edn.) pro with embossed zimmerit. It looks authentic and discreet. I don't think Tamiya's offering could equal it. What's more, I've heard it's very difficult to remove if you suffer a zimmerit malfunction,, when fitting it. :haha:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

43rdR&R!
A beautiful piece of kit that will run wonderfully well. I loved the older style gearboxes for the Tamiya King Tiger. It was hard to find anything that was more of a mesh between steampunk and Rube Goldberg. Yet they worked! Engineering run amok! Those new gearboxes that your kit has will run even better and you'll get the benefit of two motor drive instead of one. Don't feel bad about the non brushability of those acrylic tins of paint. Even the Model Masters I favor isn't that good when it comes to acrylic paint. I spend just as much time shaking and stirring as I do brushing it on if I find something that enamel flats won't work well on. Following along!
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “King Tiger”