HL Panther G customization diary

jeff1101
Corporal

Re: HL Panther G customization diary

Post by jeff1101 »

Updates 7/28/2014 - Adding Vision blocks to the loaders periscope and commander's cupola

Finally after a long break, I have some time to do some more mods to my panther. Last time, I added periscope vision blocks on the panther hull. So more of the same steps but I will just show how I disassembled the turret to add the seven vision blocks around the commander's cupola and one for the periscope in the loaders station.

Remove the turret and unscrew the 6 screw heads underneath. Be careful here as in mine one of the screw heads were already quite stripped.

The opening for the loader's periscope is obstructed by the turret elevation mechanism.

To attach the vision block, remove the turret elevation mechanism. This is attached by just two screws.

Move the turret elevation mechanism out of the way. Now with the periscope opening exposed it is easy to glue the vision block.

Next move on to the cupola. The other periscope mounts are exposed and easy to access. However 2 or 3 of the periscope mounts are obstructed by the bb ammo housing. Unscrew the housing by its retaining screw.

With the ammo housing out of the way I then glued the vision blocks. Here are some of the vision blocks glued underneath the periscope housing.

And here it is finished...

Loader's periscope. You can also see here one of the poison gas detector brackets I attached before to good effect. :/
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Jeff,
Very good to hear from you and to see more work being performed on your excellent Panther G. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Happy New Year!

I have been busy of late so not had time to work on this as I should. Anyway, she is nearly complete, just need to add the little detail bits. :/ Been trying to pose the panther to match some of the photos of the Bovington Panther round the web.

Have a happy new year.

Sideviews. I have been running the tank quite a bit so that the paint in the idler wheel rims have come off showing bare metal. (Just like the real thing) :thumbup:

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Jeff,
Simply beautiful as always. Time now for those covers for the sprocket hubs?
Regards and Happy Holidays
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
edpanzer
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by edpanzer »

Spent a pleasurable 2 hours reading this thread great work!
Taigen Tiger 1 full option rctank.de special edition airbrush paint IR equipped
Type 90 1/24
WSN T34
Heng long leopard 2a6
Heng long panzer 4 platinum
Heng long sherman
Grantham Light Armoured Division RCTC
Ratman0100
Recruit

Post by Ratman0100 »

I have been captivated by this diary, and really to be honest, a brilliant tutorial to me. You did this to inspire other's Jeff, well consider me inspired. If I can get a tank to look even half as good I would be happy.

Thanks for doing such a wonderful build and document. It has taught me many things and explained clearly how they are done to the effect that I am now not scared to try myself now :)
jeff1101
Corporal

Post by jeff1101 »

Updates 1/26/2015 - Adding the bucket

Thanks Ratman and wish you the best on your build.

I don't really know why German panthers have metal buckets on them. Seems allied tanks don't have them (or I dont really see any allied tanks with buckets attached to them) but although not standard issue, a lot of period panther photos have what seems like a bucket attached to the pintle mount? I have also seen early version panthers (the non-Flammenvernichter types) with the bucket hung on the exhaust pipe.

So I bought this 1/16 scale bucket accessory from mato.

My original plan was to prime and paint it but on second thought, the bucket which is made from some kind of zinc alloy already looked the part. The original buckets used where sheet steel treated with a zinc coating to prevent corrosion. (A process called "galvanization").

The bucket already has that nice patina of what looks like zinc on it and it was a shame to have to cover it up with paint.

So decided I would just muddy it up. Used the below oil colors.

Thinned the oil paints with mineral spirit.

And then added the paint using a brush.

Unfortunately oil paint does not stick well on metal even when dry so to seal it in, I sprayed it with matt clear.

And here is the bucket muddied.

I then attached the bucket to the pintle mount. To attach I used long nosed pliers to pry loose one of the ends of the handle.

I then looped the handle over to the pintle mount and re-attached the end to the bucket.

Here is the bucket attached.

and with that I hope to start with painting the commander figure next.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
Not to start the 'Bucket' business back up again but yes, they seemed to be an indispensable part of crew kit for German panzers all throughout the war. Good to see you coming along on this one again, Jeff. Following along as always.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by greengiant »

A little rust on those exhaust covers ? Excellent looking panther you have there.
philipat
Sergeant

Post by philipat »

This is an awesome build. Love all of the built-in references. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Panther”